Comparing the Canon EOS R7, R10, Fuji X-H2 & Panasonic S5 II

Andrew Reid

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
21 minutes ago, hyalinejim said:

What's the story here? Is the red channel clipping above or below and is it encoded as V-gamut or only when converted to V709?

I have noticed that reds are too dark and saturated with the V709 conversion.

The red clipping is baked into V-Log. I really wonder why I don't receive pre-production models of their cameras haha.

Screenshot 2023-03-24 at 18.28.56.png

Screenshot 2023-03-24 at 19.15.31.png

Screenshot 2023-03-24 at 18.55.55.png

2 hours ago, deezid said:

I bet with BRAW and even better ProRes RAW the color would be visible actually. The chroma filtering kills of anything in dark areas that isn't super saturated. E.g. dark blue or brown clothes turn grey, hair turns grey, skin turns grey etc. '

A processing issue that would be easy for Fuji to fix, but yet they don't care because their customers don't mind inferior products. Nobody ever puts pressure on that company.

There is no pressure because there is no actual issue, again Fuji developed X-Trans CFA which has its pros & cons. Most Fuji shooters embrace it as they shoot baked-in with the film simulations but shooting RAW in stills and now in video bypasses the X-Trans so that is the solution if you need it.

8 hours ago, Kisaha said:

guys, just grab an R7 and go outside and shoot already!

This is ridiculous advice because some may wish to sell whatever barely used camera they currently have (because someone in the comments section of a YouTube post stated that they had a friend who thought it was crap), skip the current generation of gear and wait for what the early shill reviewers with affiliate links and Squarespace ad sponsors, say about; the Canon R Crystal Ball camera or the Fuji Grail camera or the Lumix Goat camera.

Or I suppose you could just go out and use what you got…

I am joking ofcourse, obviously we are on a camera forum, what else should we talk about?! I have definitely hundreds of such posts here!

But

1) R7 is this kind of camera that feels that shoots above its specs and is just plain enjoyable to use. Some cameras do that. It is no perfect by any means, but it can be a cheap workhorse camera for dozen of basic stuff we most do.

2) even now, and even for specific pro work, I am just amazed how good a camera of 2015 (NX1) can be and what incredible image can be  achieved just SOOC!

3) a month ago I was on a TV shot that the main camera was an Arri and the second - doing most of the static product shots - was an BMP6K! The very good (and successful) local DP was like "it will be perfectly fine"

4) I feel like I am reading/watching/talking about equipment more than I should! But that can be just me, and only after (almost) 30 years reading/watching/talking about equipment. In the TV doc I am working these days we mostly do that with the DP and the camera op that are very technical also. I am sure we will do the same today also!

4 hours ago, Kisaha said:

4) I feel like I am reading/watching/talking about equipment more than I should!

No such thing. Unless we don’t actually use any of this stuff we talk about, ie, simply collect and then talk about the next thing that might actually work as the current thing doesn’t actually have magical properties…

I think some folks really do think that if they point the latest ‘Netflix Approved’ camera at their wife & kids, the results will indeed look like a Netflix production… 🤔

Wedding season starts for me in 2 days. These S1H’s had better make my clients weddings look like Ozark…

On 3/22/2023 at 2:29 PM, deezid said:

To me the heavy chroma filtering when shooting internally is an absolute no go. Skin looks lifeless and so does any kind any kind of foliage. That's only one problem next to the insane amount of oversharpening the cameras forces on your footage.

How do we detect or evaluate footage from a specific camera for chroma filtering/colour separation? What affordable camera is an example of good chroma filtering?