Field Monitor for watching live unsqeezed GH4 Anamorphic shoot

Izhar Ashdot

Hello,

I've been experimenting with shooting anamorphic video on my GH4 in 4K photo mode, using a Rectimascop 48/2x adaptor.

The more I shoot, the more I see the need to monitor the unsqueezed video in real time, for better control of composition and focus.

Can anyone recommend an HDMI field monitor, 5" to 7", with the ability to stretch the video width x2?

Many thanks,

Izhar

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

Hello,

I've been experimenting with shooting anamorphic video on my GH4 in 4K photo mode, using a Rectimascop 48/2x adaptor.

The more I shoot, the more I see the need to monitor the unsqueezed video in real time, for better control of composition and focus.

Can anyone recommend an HDMI field monitor, 5" to 7", with the ability to stretch the video width x2?

Many thanks,

Izhar

Have a look at this: '?do=embed' frameborder='0' data-embedContent>>

Maybe you'll find something interesting for you.

• 5 weeks later...

Hello,

Many thanks,

Izhar

Hey Izhar 

I had the same concern and was on a similar budget. 

After some research on youtube / vimeo and some forums I concluded to buy this 

http://www.musthd.com/products/7-inch-musthd-1280800-video-assist-field-monitor-with-hdmi-input-output-focus-assist-false-color-77.html 

Its on its way to me now

I need one of these too, for both anamorphic shooting and focus assist.  Finding it difficult to really nail focus on these old manual lenses.

Although the focus peaking feature on the gh4 and magic lantern should help you much more even when you're focusing just with the camera LCD. 

IMO it's better than what you can get in the cheaper monitors because you can customise the color and threshhold. 

You can even rack focus lol. Canon should be paying them really. 

There's heaps of stuff on youtube, I had a look to get a link for you but can't find a really good example. 

10676303_858871710830410_72851781709155810846020_858871767497071_75412742082084210367791_858871737497074_815503323700665

Ok so bad news first. Scale mode on this thing only supports 16:10, 16:9, 15:9, 1.85:1, 2.35:1 and 4:3 

With 2.35:1 being the closest to 2x but still far off and I don't think you can customize these settings at all. 

Good news is this monitor is great otherwise. Feels a little bit plasticky but nothing too brittle or annoying. 

Screen itself is good and really like the hood design. Only tested on my 60D so I will do a proper review once I get to plug it into a newer camera. Hope this helps in the meanwhile.