GH4 evf replace

64mulford

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

Good question. I can't imagine what caused it. Another possibility is that it isn't scratches but condensation on inside of glass (last week I shot in an extremely humid environment and camera became very wet with condensation) maybe that's it. Hard to tell really but whatever it is it's super annoying

An inexpensive way to test out your condensation theory (which is more likely than scratches, imo) is to seal the cam in a bag of uncooked rice. Another alternative is to seal it in something with Pelican Desiccant Silica Gel ($10). These are pretty great to have on hand anyway for humid environments.

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/242571-REG/Pelican_1500_500_000_Silica_Gel.html

My GH3 has the same problem. Very foggy view. EVF lens is plastic and the coating is very soft. I have read other people in forums having the same issue too. I have not dared to clean or touch my GH4 EVF yet.

My GH3 has also loose monitor, empty rolling front wheel and loose mem card door.

I once had to replace the GH2's eye cup, well actually the plate that holds the rubber eye cup. After a bit of research I found this: http://www.searspartsdirect.com/partsdirect/part-model/Panasonic-Parts/Panasonic-Parts/Model-DMCGH2HK/0789/0500140/50039434/00001?blt=06&prst=0&shdMod=DMC-GH2HK .

I then mailed Panasonic asking them if and how/where I could get a hold of these parts (VGQ0Q78 & VGQ0S00). They pointed me to the officially licenced Panasonic service center that just so happened to coveniently be in town. I made them order it for me and a few days later it was ready to be picked up. Costs were close to nothing.

So, my recommendation: direct your question directly to Panasonic. Let them hook you up with a service center responsible for your geographic area and then ask those guys for possibilities and prices. Judging from the GH2 diagram and assuming the GH4 is not much different, the EVF itself seems to be quite the unit, so I doubt it will be as inexpensive as an eye cup. Also not sure if you could replace it yourself, and if not, you'll have to pay for servicing/manual labor... I'm afraid that might get quite pricey.

All the best!

• 11 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

that pic from juanky could easily be my own camera!

out in the rain last week (briefly, i still don't trust it's supposed weatherseal), and i gave it a quick wipe down with a soft camera lens cloth, including the viewfinder glass.

from then on, cloudy view.

obv tried adjusting the diopter, and thought for a while it might be condensation, but on looking in bright light under a magnifying glass, it's clear the problem is on the external side of the glass, and looks absolutely exactly like the picture above.

so, it seems this may be a weakness / manufacturing fault. i presume my camera's still under warranty - bought it just before xmas last year. but i use it very regularly, with jobs coming up, and can't afford to send it back to my ebay seller (in scotland i think) and have it out of my hands for days if not weeks.

has anyone contacted panasonic and got results? i will do, but busy few days ahead so will have to cope. i'm really gutted!

• 2 weeks later...

I know this is on other forums but wanted to let you guys know that using this (Plasitic polish) Novus # 2 worked like a charm.

I lost the original eyepiece and since ordered the G-cup (custom eyepiece). The plastic also got scratched while the original was off. Read about this Novus polish went and got it and the result is really unbelievable. Its like new!!

• 5 months later...