Fuji X100V Hype

ntblowz

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

I think it’s both justified and utter BS.

Justified because the combo of style, size, output (more stills than video) makes it one of the most desirable cameras ever made and the X100 line has been my ‘desert island’ camera ever since I preordered one of the very first in the UK back whenever it was (2011?).

If it just had 2 card slots and a slightly less nose heavy/bulky teleconverter, it would be near perfect.

The WAC, is great, though 28mm is not that much over the standard 35 but 50mm has reasonable more reach.

What is missing for me making it an ideal twin camera (stills) set up is nothing longer than 50mm without using the digital crop or cropping in post.

The 28mm WAC on one with a 70/75mm TC on a second body would be my shoot it until I die set up for my low-key mainly documentary approach and in 2013, I did shoot an entire season of weddings on just a single OG X100.

But it’s also utter BS because due to TikTok, people have been buying it just because other people are buying it, as a ‘lifestyle accessory’ over anything else. And that is twattery of the highest order in my book. I really despise ‘cameras as jewellery’ 😏

Another thought is there is quite often a very valid alternative to these ‘of the moment’ cameras.

Other than the shutter, the XE4 is arguably more capable essentially trading that shutter for the ability to swap lenses and there are some superb f1.4 Fuji lenses.

Alternative to that other king of the ‘EDC’ camera, the Leica Q2 and the X100V, is the Ricoh GR3 which comes in 2 focal lengths and is much more compact than either.

I am a big fan of all of them but… well, iPhone 12. My EDC makes calls and does other stuff… Convenience is the word.

It amazes me that when people are talking about phone photography usually it goes like this "iphone"..

Aren't other phones worthy of consideration?

Last year a director friend spend more than 2.000€ on iPhone and accessories..guess what..a big disappointment..known issues he didn't know and a lot lesser quality than advertised.

By the way, he bought the Fuji after, and now is completely hooked in Apple, buying everything with an Apple on it, still complaining about most things!

Tried one once in a shop and it overheated in a couple of minutes doing it's highest quality video. Otherwise it was really nice. I love the Classic Negative film sim, for photos. But you can get that on any camera along with the newer Nostalgic Negative film sim with Cobalt Image. 

Maybe they fixed the overheating with firmware. If they did I wish I had purchased it at that time. Would have made some money by the sound of it, by selling it now. I still think I would prefer the feel of my Fuji XE2 for street photography (better EVF for me too).

That charm is probably why people also like the X100V. I sometimes just look at and admire the XE2 on the shelf or after a fun photowalk. Did a bit with the X Pro 2 too. 

How much are X100Vs selling for?

14 hours ago, Chxfgb said:

Tried one once in a shop and it overheated in a couple of minutes doing it's highest quality video. Otherwise it was really nice. I love the Classic Negative film sim, for photos. But you can get that on any camera along with the newer Nostalgic Negative film sim with Cobalt Image. 

Maybe they fixed the overheating with firmware. If they did I wish I had purchased it at that time. Would have made some money by the sound of it, by selling it now. I still think I would prefer the feel of my Fuji XE2 for street photography (better EVF for me too).

That charm is probably why people also like the X100V. I sometimes just look at and admire the XE2 on the shelf or after a fun photowalk. Did a bit with the X Pro 2 too. 

How much are X100Vs selling for?

Screenshot_20230312-102921_Chrome.thumb.jpg.2fbac0ecbeb85942c4e35c9d63550b87.jpg

Well in the places I am in they are selling 20% more than brand new.

14 hours ago, Anaconda_ said:

who would pay 500 more for just the colour? I get you can have a preference, but jeez. I'd take a pink one if it was 500 less!

Street photographers. Many like to be stealthy. I (actually the wife) used to have a pink Fuji. Bought a $10 black rubber case for it, then felt much more comfortable with it, taking close-up candid street photos. 

I wouldn't pay $500 extra but I would pay a bit more for black. Some street photographers are wealthier, or willing to spend more e.g. Leica owners. 

On 3/13/2023 at 9:44 AM, Chxfgb said:

Street photographers. Many like to be stealthy. I (actually the wife) used to have a pink Fuji. Bought a $10 black rubber case for it, then felt much more comfortable with it, taking close-up candid street photos. 

I wouldn't pay $500 extra but I would pay a bit more for black. Some street photographers are wealthier, or willing to spend more e.g. Leica owners. 

You remind me the Z5fd I bought a thousand years ago in glorious Raspberry Red !! Technically wasn't pink, but I heard it a few times from my mates 🤣

Bought because it was something like 20% less that the other ones! Couldn't care less..was so small that wasn't even noticable when I was taking pictures.

Funny thing, still got it (and the 6500fd bridge, both in perfect condition) and gave them to my kids to try some old school photography before everything being consumed by A.I!

I caved.

Not to the X100V hype train…though I think it’s a superb bit of kit, but regarding the EDC.

I have gone backwards and forwards on the whole ‘compact vs phone’ argument and as part of that process, discovered my iPhone 12 is in fact a 13 Pro (shows how much attention I pay to these things) but in the end decided I would like something more than my phone, but is relatively compact.

Contenders were: X100V, X100 OG, XE4, FP, GRIIIX, Q2, CL and TL2.

Went TL2 for the following reasons…

Had one briefly last year but the screen began to fail so I sent it back to MPB for a refund.

It takes all my L Mount lenses so I will pair it with the tiny apsc Sigma 18-50mm f2.8 zoom.

It takes really nice pictures that do have a certain magic about them.

It cost less than 1000 euros delivered, is mint and this time I went stealth black over the more bling silver I had previously.

I did come very close on a mint OG X100 and the Ricoh was very tempting but in the end, had to make a choice and it’s the right one for me.

X100 series has always been widely popular, perhaps even more now with social media etc.

What I just found out is that Fuji are having trouble producing it due to the global parts shortage hence why the resell price skyrocketed.

As a happy Leica M9 owner I have zero use for an APS-C pseudo rangefinder but the one thing it does have going for it is the flash + leaf shutter combo allowing super fast sync if flash photography is your thing. For that alone I would consider one if/when the prices get back to normal..

On 3/13/2023 at 4:31 AM, Anaconda_ said:

who would pay 500 more for just the colour? I get you can have a preference, but jeez. I'd take a pink one if it was 500 less!

That's the world we live in now. I've even seen YouTube videos showing how to paint your camera body!

Camera's have become fashion items rather than tools of the trade. I wonder if carpenters/electricians etc take the time to paint their tools flashy colours?

Well actually….

Personalising both tools and everyday objects has been going on since forever.

I am in Paris right now and yesterday was at one of the museums and the level of work that went into some of the suits of armour and intricate detailing on some of the guns was/is incredible.

The armour just needed to take repeated blows of blunt or sharp instruments.

The shooting sticks just needed to fire a ball of lead into another man.

Ain’t nothing wrong with jazzing up your camera for shooting your fellow man (woman, child, animal, inanimate object or scene) in 2023!

Personally, I’m more about the understated which is why I tend to prefer an all black camera (gunmetal would be my personal preference but rarely available) over silver and blacked out logos a la SL2s and S5iiix, but that’s just my preference.

Having said that, I am looking to get a dedicated manual M Mount (adapted) prime for my TL2 and have decided on the Voigtlander 28mm f2 (because 40mm or thereabouts) is my favourite focal length for a walkabout lens and the question is now down to; all black, all silver or black with a silver band and nose…and you know what, I am favouring the latter. ‘Minimalist bling’ 😬

21 hours ago, PannySVHS said:

With a different name and awesome manual focus lens, no simple fly by wire, gh5II video quality, below 900 USD, yes. @Marcio Kabke Pinheiro

Even less than that. For me, just add a flip screen, a tad better EVF, take off the 4k crop, PDAF, and (specially) bring some "film" recipes to attract the same target.

Once I had a X100s and a LX100 - and the LX trounced it for me. Better AF, much more flexible with a zoom lens, and (surprised) trounced the X100s in low light.

I know that the X100V is a different beast, but I still think that the LX100 are more versatile. Still have my LX100 MK I, by the way, is my go-to camera. Pretty, very small, you choose the focal lenght on the fly.