New major R5 firmware coming?

ntblowz

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
3 hours ago, ntblowz said:

https://www.canonrumors.com/canon-to-release-major-firmware-update-for-the-canon-eos-r5/

I will be really super happy if they remove the 30 min limit and have lens breathing correction, the rest of them is icing on the cake.

On the other hand that mean no R5II this year.

I will be very happy if they fix the bugs in the current FW:

• Freezing - Mine still freezes occasionally and needs a reboot even with the latest FW
  • EVF - At high shutter speeds (higher than 1/4000s) the EVF becomes very stuttery at times and almost unusable
  • CFE Corruption - Not sure yet if this was the camera, card reader, or card, but this weekend for the first time ever I had an unreadable memory card after a day of shooting. Fortunately, my SD card had a copy of all of the footage, but not exactly confidence inspiring

New Features that would be nice to have:

• Keep the &^%$ electronic level and other tools on the screen after pressing record
  • WFM - Not holding my breath but a WFM would be nice when shooting video vs the histogram
  • Shutter Angle - Another nice to have
  • Face Only AF - This would be great to match with the C70
  • False Color - I actually almost never use this since I mostly shoot run and gun and don't have time for such niceties, but in a more controlled setting false color is nice
  • Remove the 30min record limit...this is a given
  • Detailed overheat indicator - this is great on the R7 it would be nice to get more feedback on when it starts warming up. With more feedback you would have time to change modes to something less heat intensive
  • Unlimited flash sync speed - Its annoying to still have flash sync speed limitations in 2023 necessitating the use of ND filters, HSS, or both. Not sure though if this is a HW limitation or something that can be added via FW.
  • Horizon Leveling - The R7 has this, I turned it off because it causes problems on a gimbal, but it is still nice to have when shooting handheld especially since the **&^ level guide disappears while recording

Firmware updates give better value to a camera and more confidence to a brand.

I much better prefer that move right now (even though I do not own the camera.).

Usually we need a better version of what we have, not a completely new camera.

7 hours ago, ntblowz said:

I will be really super happy if they remove the 30 min limit and have lens breathing correction, the rest of them is icing on the cake.

On the other hand that mean no R5II this year.

If the former happens, then surely the local fire department will need to be on standby? 🔥🚒🧯

Regarding the latter, not necessarily… I would not put it past any company to encourage sales of any item and then pop out an upgraded direct replacement shortly after…

Will likely pickup a used one now bcuz if they drop the 30 minute record limit in his next FW update the prices will go up. At least until the R5 II arrives which is looking to be longer than we thought. Also hoping these reports bode well for the R5C. Would love to see more comprehensive/robust AF settings on this cam + some power options that allow you to get better batt life in exchange for the loss of some functionality. Aside from that I really love the R5C - it's a beast of a cam imo!