Canon announces C100 Mark 2

Zach Ashcraft

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

The upgrades are minor, but nice to have. I am disappointed that they didn't upgrade the codec. I'm not really sure yet why someone would choose this over the new Sony FS7, which offers internal 4K XAVC 10-bit 4:2:2 (up to 60fps) for $2500 more.

What I am really curious about is what this will do to the price of used C100s...

The upgrades are minor, but nice to have. I am disappointed that they didn't upgrade the codec. I'm not really sure yet why someone would choose this over the new Sony FS7, which offers internal 4K XAVC 10-bit 4:2:2 (up to 60fps) for $2500 more.

What I am really curious about is what this will do to the price of used C100s...

I just listed mine today. We'll see I suppose. 

VS the FS7, the C100.2 is smaller & lighter, and most importantly, has Canon color science which is nice to have for pleasing colors, especially skintones, for fast turn-around and little or no post work. We can make the FS700 and A7S look great, but it's more work than with the 5D3 (and other Canon cameras). We like the color science of the A7S better than the FS700, perhaps the FS7 will be better than the A7S.

The upgrades are minor, but nice to have. I am disappointed that they didn't upgrade the codec.

Yeah. Even if it just had 10bit 422 via HDMI it would have been very hard to resist. But the mark II just seems to be a mark one without the major shortcomings (poor EVF, no 60p). I guess they still want to sell more C300's ...

The Mark One didn't have an MP4 option did it? Anyone got any idea if it will be any good?

This does not seem like a very compelling an upgrade to me.  Not as compared to how agressive both SONY and Panasonic are being  right now.  Canon "color science" not withstanding, Im not sure that in the context of the market that they are being very compeditive at this point.  Im very mystifed they did not at least roll in 10 bit 4:2:2 color internally.  I think its still an 8 bit camera which for that much money is very strange.

It's a sexy looking camera that's for sure. 

I expect the C300 Mark II to be 10 bit 422, with 4k and 120fps at 1080p. I would also hope that the C100 would receive a firmware update after the C300 Mk2 release to enable 4k (but at 8 bit only, HDMI out maybe). 

This hope is rather pointless right now - my business is saving for the new FS7 which looks to be an outstanding product, a great investment for the long term. Paired with an A7S, it's all systems go (further!).  B)

Canon releases a new camera line called MEH. Canon's chief architech Mishiku Opportuntzie speaks about the product development of their MEH line of cameras. "Canon is strong on two paths the first is Imposible and the second is MEH. We listen to our customers needs and offer to them the choises of MEH1 and MEH2.

if i had the money I'd have one in PL mount.  8 bit and 24mbs is all that's needed when the image looks good straight out the box.  Why can;t black magic create complete and finished all in one products like this?

Black Magic Cinema Camera with an jaw dropping 10 bit 4:2:2 Prores HQ codec ....oh yea and RAW.   So yes a camera with a similar form factor to a C100 would be amazing!!!!

Guest Ebrahim Saadawi

A C100 mk II body with a blackmagic sensor and recording formats would be an ideal camera. Why don't they just steal the design and tweak it, cant be hard!

Although it will lose the lowlight performance and high frame rates, they also have a bit of aliasing.

Too many people on internet look too much at spec. Unfortunately things like colour science cannot be measured. As much as I critisize Canon to be the worst in terms of innovation, but if I am realistic they are going to sell a ton of these. This C100 mark 2 will be more than good enough than 95% type of work. It will be sold for 5k and in a year at 4.5k, so about the same than the AF100 at launch. A much much better camera than the Af100. All the event, corporate, wedding, documentary shooters will jump on it. A camera that has very good resolution, very good low light, good DR, good rolling shutter etc etc. It s two biggest flaws have been corrected, now it is an all in one, you can just grab it and shoot without any addon like evf and you have 60fps for decent slow motion. The 8bit is a bit of an issue but for the market I describe above it won't matter too much.

The autofocus could also be a very good, better than anything else in the large sensor camera. In fact the C100 mark 2 could be the defacto large sensor camera that bridge the gap from S35 camera and eng small sensor camera that have been used for years. With much better quality than those small sensor camera. That is why I see this camera will become a success.

Fantastic job by Canon. They listened to all the bitching and responded. Yea it's not 4K but most people could care less. 

The Canon C100 Mark II will be a viable option for pure 1080p hi-def for at least 2 more years. Perhaps longer. 

That comes out to a little over $2,500 bucks a year. Hmm..If you can't make a ton of money with this cam, it's not Canon's fault.

This is important, right? I understand it's different from the original C100 or is this just PR-speak? From Canon: 

" (The Digic DV III ) processes the RGB representations that originate in the single CMOS sensor of the camera into three channels (Red, Blue, and Green) to maintain the rich resolution and clean color fidelity formerly possible only in three-chip sensor designs".