iMac 5K retina is here!

sudopera

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

5210 by 2880 Works out at just over 15 megapixels.  Great for displaying high quality photos.  But many new graphics cards can only support 4096x2160 rez, so I don't know If the amd laptop video card apple have got in this thing is capable of native 5210x2880 or if there is an upscaller in there (which seems pointless to me).

• Administrators

Internal card does 5K but there's no target display mode, you won't be plugging anything into it and using it as a 5K display.

And the 5K cinema display is curiously missing for probably similar reasons. Hope they do a 4K version!

Guest Ebrahim Saadawi

A 5K monitor of this quality would be considerably more than 2500$, yet this one has a built in full-fledged computer. I am looking forward to seeing this screen in real life.

Guest Ebrahim Saadawi

A 5K monitor of this quality would be considerably more than 2500$, yet this one has a built in full-fledged computer. I am looking forward to seeing this screen in real life.

I recently acquired a Titan. Holy smokes. I'd agree that pairing a 5K panel with that would be something!

http://www.geforce.co.uk/hardware/desktop-gpus/geforce-gtx-980/specifications

http://www.geforce.co.uk/hardware/desktop-gpus/geforce-gtx-titan/specifications

http://www.geforce.co.uk/hardware/desktop-gpus/geforce-gtx-titan-z/specifications

Scroll down to look at maximum digital resolution.   (4096x2160 for those who believe me).

According to this you wouldn't be able to use the whole screen natively.  Seems stupid to pay for the pixels when you are going to risk artifacts with upscalling or not use the intire monitor with 1-1 pixel mapping.

A DCI 4k resolution monitor (as opposed to quad HD) would make more sense to me.  Altough they may be rare and more expensive.

Haha oh yep it's here already!

Dell and Apple always share the same panels it seems. Bonus being the Dell ones are usually not glossy so you can see your work, not your reflection...

Ah so 4K is maximum resolution in Windows at the moment? I'll just wait then, no rush and time yields a bargain ;)

No, Windows 7 already can support just about anything as long as the video card and drivers allow for it.

I thought there was an issue with scaling of things like icons in certain apps on Windows 7 that is only fixed on Windows 8 (and higher).  So if you run photoshop for instance on Windows 7 attached to a 4k monitor the icons all come out as unclickably tiny because they are effectively fixed pixel size and the dpi is higher (so icon size is smaller).  On windows 8 they have addressed this so that the OS can scale things up when attached to a 4k monitor so that user interface elements stay roughly the same size in real world measurements.

(I only think this because one of the magazines I read keeps banging on about it whenever they review a 4k monitor and they keep saying you need Windows 8 with 4k monitors.  I don't have a 4k monitor and only a windows 8 laptop so I can't verify myself).