DPReview award Panasonic GH4 gold award, with filmmaker's perspective by EOSHD

Andrew Reid

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

Only thing i want to see from Panasonic is a FF GH camera with all the FF advantages. I want to see its performance right now. THAT will be a game-changer more all-rounder camera than every other under (or above) 3000$ atm.

Thanks Andrew for you highly valuable contribution DPRieview on GH4 video part.

I understand you have lots of things to do at the moment, but is there a chance you give us your review of the FZ1000 as you promised on Sept. 15th ?

<< The Panasonic FZ1000 (see my first impressions here) is an absolutely fantastic camera for video. I’ll bring you my full review and footage later today.>>

Thanks in advance

Thanks Andrew for your review, which always considers real life usage issues (like storage space needed and battery life) instead of just pixel peeping blablabla!!!

Only thing i want to see from Panasonic is a FF GH camera with all the FF advantages. I want to see its performance right now. THAT will be a game-changer more all-rounder camera than every other under (or above) 3000$ atm.

With what lenses?? Panasonic has no APS-C or Full Frame lenses??

Yea a great post here for sure.  I'll be puling the trigger a GH4 very soon.  Panasonic has really stepped up their game big time here.  Im also considering the added expense of a SONY PXW X70 camcorder to fill in the spaces where a standard video camera is needed.

FYI for those fragile HDMI ports I found this:  http://xproheli.com/products/micro-hdmi-right-to-male-hdmi-ribbon-cable-50cm

The comments section to that article on dpreview is like a warzone.

The GH series has always been awkwardly placed price-wise. The GH4 is probably the most technologically advanced consumer camera out there (with the EVF tech, focus peaking, DFD, 4k video internally, shutter angle/speed toggle, power efficiency etc) but also gives arguably the least desirable image quality, with unusual colours and tonality as well as less shallow DOF. 

It's always a toss-up between having something that is ready to go and shoot or putting up with something that is less convenient but with greater image quality.

Great stuff BUT...

Isn't it a huge disadvantage having Andrew do just one camera review for DPR here and there? There are so many cameras that are left out of reviews that it seems like cherry picking. Especially when the competitors then just feature some generic "it takes video" reviews.

Part of the advantage of being a blogger is writing about things you like or have an interest in.  The challenge is having a life that includes many things of which, in this case,  writing reviews is only a part.  Unless all you do is review cameras 80-90% of the time you pretty much need to cherry pic, otherwise there not enough hours in the day.

The comments section to that article on dpreview is like a warzone.

The GH series has always been awkwardly placed price-wise. The GH4 is probably the most technologically advanced consumer camera out there (with the EVF tech, focus peaking, DFD, 4k video internally, shutter angle/speed toggle, power efficiency etc) but also gives arguably the least desirable image quality, with unusual colours and tonality as well as less shallow DOF. 

It's always a toss-up between having something that is ready to go and shoot or putting up with something that is less convenient but with greater image quality.

Awkwardly placed? ..... hmmm ia pretty insightful and interesting thought.  

Panasonic's engineering teams are separate from each other.  The consumer vs. professional groups.  I think the awkward part is that image quality in the consumer group has kinda sorta encroached on the profesional group to some degree.  Ive had conversations with company reps at trade shows who have had issues with access to new models that makes me think there is concern how high end consumer products like the GH4 or  HC-X1000 will show next to their profesonal line.  I thought the HC-X1000 was a professonal product, but the rep I spoke to who was working P2 cameras at the show said he tried unsucessfuy to get an HC-X1000 to be part of his gig that day saying ..... it was a considered "consumer camera".  

So yea I can see how the GH4 given its advanced capabilities has an awkward place in the Panasonic line up.  Ive seen some amazing GH4 stuff shot by very capable DPs with decades in the business.  Some even mixed with SONY F55 footage.  

but also gives arguably the least desirable image quality, with unusual colours and tonality as well as less shallow DOF.

I just can't agree with you in any way, for many reasons. I think the skin tones are great for internal 4k and just wait til that 10 bit 4k with the shogun. The price point is unbeatable also. So unbeatable that if you even want to dis the camera, dont, and just go spend 10 grand on another camera to fix your woes...oh wait.

I just can't agree with you in any way, for many reasons. I think the skin tones are great for internal 4k and just wait til that 10 bit 4k with the shogun. The price point is unbeatable also. So unbeatable that if you even want to dis the camera, dont, and just go spend 10 grand on another camera to fix your woes...oh wait.

I said "arguably" because it wasn't really my opinion but the opinion of a lot of others. I've happily been using a GX7 for almost a year now and am a firm believer in colour grading to get where you want,

Nice article...very informative.

I have had the GH4 for over 2 months now and using it daily for video shooting and endless tests as well..

I want to get an A7s sometime, but I have held off from that for a while, to keep an eye on the market and properly learn the GH4 as well.

The interesting thing is when i first got the GH4.I was not that blown away, I was shooting in 4K mainly with the Cine-D profile at first and getting good results, but not overwhelming, personally I really didn't like the flatter than flat look, especially with the contrast all the way down.

As far as some reviewers saying the GH4 does not produce a very desirable image quality

I really dont pay too much attention to those opinions, generally you will find they have used one or two "recommended" settings and dont like the image,

I have shot videos in the GH4 where I have thought...uuughhh that looks awful, and others (after some time of learning) where I have just loved the look.

No-one is exempt from learning, doesn't matter how big your name is, many of these name persons dont bother to even learn the GH4 and then give their conclusions as tho its the final word...and its usually based on one or 2 highly questionable settings.

Recently since the version 2.0 firware I have been graviting to shooting video in 4K photo mode in natural or standard with minimal sharpness.contrast, hue etc.. adjustments and using low iDynamics and one point AF.

I can honestly say...that lately I have been totally blown away with the results even on a 27'    2560 x 1400 monitor.

I really love this camera and personally I have no real problems with noise either...even at 1600...I have only encountered it in very minimal light, a not so fast lens and with iDynamic cranked hard as well.

Generally for me anyway, its the other way around, I get bored with a camera over time, but the GH4 has so many interesting adjustments that you can get an incredible image out of it after a little time learning all the ins and outs and what they actually do to the final image.

I cant wait to see it on a 4K screen either, there is a thread on the dvxuser forum about how good it looks on the new Samsung, I am hoping Andrew will do a review on this sometime in the near future.

Cheers

Thanks Andrew for your review, which always considers real life usage issues (like storage space needed and battery life) instead of just pixel peeping blablabla!!!

With what lenses?? Panasonic has no APS-C or Full Frame lenses??

Yes I know its meaningless and there is no FF lenses from pana, and they wont make it to use other manufacture's mount, but it will be good to see.... Maybe one time.