Sony PXW X70 (4K) Camcorder

Henry Gentles

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

Just picked my x70 up a couple days ago. I have not had a chance to shoot much yet. But my initial impressions:

- It's heavier that you might expect from it's size. I don't totally mind that. The build quality feels very good.

- focus peaking seems very precise! much more accurate than what I have been using on my G6 with Pany 12-35mm lens

- focus magnifier works while rolling, which is very cool. Button for it is in a good place.

- Sony recommends UHS-I Class 10 U3 cards, which I don't have yet. The cards I have only allow me to shoot AVCHD. Will have new cards soon to take advantage of XAVC.

I think these are the recommended cards: http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1071443-REG/sony_sf64uz_tqn_64gb_sdhs_uhs_1_u3.html

- I do miss having a zoom ring, but it's a sacrifice I am going to try to make.

- focus ring needs a lot of turning to get from a near focus to far focus. and given that it is quite small, this feels clumsy to me. it would be nice if there was some sort of speed-proportionality to it, so turning it faster would cause accelerated travel - I think there is a term for this but it's not coming to me right now.

I can update here once I've done a bit more with it.

One of my main reasons for wanting to go with this camera are its ergonomics and size. And I am willing to sacrifice a ittle on image for that. I have had a chance to play with it a bit now. I would say it's roughly on par with my G6, but only after working on tweaking for a while, and they are simply different images. I think it's major weakness is in how it handles highlights. On the default settings, blown out highlight areas look like crap. But after playing around with picture profile settings (which I do feel are a bit limited), I can bring them into a mostly acceptable range for myself. This won't be the case for some. There is nothing groundbreaking in terms of image. So if that is what you are looking for, keep looking. I am not going to post samples or go into detail because it's not my strength. I will post a couple of Alister Chapman's reviews below, where he goes into more detail, including addressing the highlight issue. Dynamic range is middle of the road. I have seen some aliasing and moire - maybe more than my G6.

In addition to the links given above, you could look at:

http://www.xdcam-user.com/reviews/cameras/sony-pxw-x70-review/

an earlier post with a bit more discussion:

http://www.xdcam-user.com/2014/07/the-sony-pxw-x70-sometimes-good-things-come-in-small-packages/

Video review:

http://www.sony.hr/pro/article/broadcast-products-videography-pxw-x70_video

Guest Ebrahim Saadawi

It looks good for the price. I am looking at camcorders now. But, with the latest price drop on the Sony FS100 (2499 body) doesn't it make it a better option for filmmakers? I can see this one only useful for those who want a broadcast approved codec, and fast one-lens shooting. The FS100 has a s35 sensor with internchangeable lenses, better lowlight, better image overall in a nice camcorder factor. Thoughts?

Well I did this little test for myself, and (contrary to what I said above) thought I would share it. The link below is a Potoshop file that I used to compare my G6 to my x70. You can turn the layers on and off to compare. For each camera I have included a ungraded and graded image. I am not a colourist, so this is just a little experiment. I did the colour adjustments in photoshop - so results would be different if properly graded. Lighing conditions for this test were overcast/flat.

Camera Setup:

Both cameras were recording 24p AVCHD 28. (at the moment I don't have fast enough cards for XAVC in the x70).

In general both cameras have sharpening turned down and saturation slightly reduced.

G6 settings:

Lens: Lumix G 12-35, f/14, 1/60, ISO 400, Daylight

Photo Style: Portrait, Contrast -5, Sharpness -4, Saturation -3, NR -2

x70 settings:

Lens: F/11, 180 degree shutter, 0dB, no ND, Daylight+1

Picture Profile:

Black level: +10

Gama: ITU709

Black Gamma: no change - all 0

Knee: Manual point 75% slope 0

Color Mode: ITU709 Matrix

Saturation -2

Color Phase 0

Color Depth: no change - all 0

Color Correction: off

WB Shift: LB-CC all 0

Detail: Manual, V/H-0, B/W-Type3, Limit level 2, Cripening level 4, Hi-Light Detail level 2

Colour Correction in Photoshop:

The corrected layers have a bit of sharpening added. Not sure if I value sharpness as much as some, but I wanted to see what would happen.

Otherwise I just adjusted levels a bit, and added a bit of warming.

The file: https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/15090697/Panasonic_G6%20Sony_x70%20Compare.psd

Hope this is useful.