GH4 as photography tool is the RAW buffer only half of what Panasonic claims it is

Brellivids

Preface: I ve been pondering about the usability of panasonic GH4 or OM-D EM-1 as a main Photography camera.

Yesterday I came upon a worrying bit of data that you GH4 owners might want to check out if you have the camera.

When I was looking about the AF metering range of OM-D EM-1 and comparing it to the GH4 I found out other things on the imaging resource site.

Performance test score says that GH4 shoots only 21 RAW images in series where as the OM-D EM-1 shoots the promised 50 .

Panasonic GH4     (claims 40 RAW image burst) Imaging resource test = 21 RAW images and buffer takes 23 seconds to clear (sandisk 95MB/s)
Olympus OM-D EM-1 (claims 50 RAW image burst) Imaging resource test = 50 RAW images and buffer takes 16 seconds to clear (sandisk 95MB/s)

http://www.imaging-resource.com/PRODS/panasonic-gh4/panasonic-gh4A6.HTM
http://www.imaging-resource.com/PRODS/olympus-e-m1/olympus-e-m1A6.HTM

So if the data is right.. Panasonic has little  PR thing in their hands again. I can safely say that  Raw image buffer size is very important for pro photography. Needless to point out that the 12BIT raw images are not really helping GH4 either.. Why in the world they cant' they be 14Bit?

Allso what I figured with a Metz AF 44-AF1 flash is that it does not seem to fire a a focusing beam on my GH2 or G6 bodies. I wonder that are all Panasonic models such that they dont support External flash focus beam? The feature is higly important when photographing indoors in poor light and when you cannot rely on the cameras own focus assit beam to reach far enough.

So I'm asking that if any of you Gh4 owners might want to test it out. Use a sound recorder while you shoot a full Raw image burst with GH4.. From the sound recording file you can calculate the number of shots it was able to take before slowing down. Thanks in advance if anoyone is willing..

If the buffer is indeed only 21 images .. it could be something that Panasonic can fix via Firmaware or the test unit was pre production.. (I did not read the I.R. sites test that well)

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

I just ran a burst mode test in Raw and got 42 the first time and 39 the second time. 

On the Focus Beam,  I was told that Contrast Focus Cameras don't send out a focus beam.  I was kinda bummed about this.    I have a Metz 50 AF1 and it doesn't work on my GH2 or GH4.

It would seem to be according to SPECS then. Many thanks for your input and effort! Is your understanding then that the Panasonic Cameras rely fully on their focusing tech inside the camera body. How about the Olympus will that use the flash units focus beam I wonder. 

The good thing is that at least according to Panasonic spec the GH4 AF range starts from -4 where EV and for instance DMC-G6 is -3 EV.. I have tried to find the AF -EV number of the Olympus OM-D EM-1 but so far I have not found it from the web.