Does DFD work with the Panasonic Leica D Vario-Elmarit 14-50mm?

TravisKelleher

I've read that Panasonic's new DFD technology is currently designed to work with only Panasonic lenses, is it only m43 or all Panasonic lenses? 

Since the lens is still listed on the Panasonic website, I'm wondering if it will make any difference in regards to the focus speed on the older 4/3 Panasonic Leica D Vario-Elmarit 14-50mm 2.8-3.5?

I have a GH4 that's due to arrive any day now, and I'm wondering if my 14-50mm would work any better on it compared to my GH2 with regards to AF.

I do plan on eventually buying 12-35mm, although for manual focus video work I've come to love the reach of the 14-50mm.

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

Update: It looks like DFD does not work with older 4/3 Panasonic lenses. My GH4 came in 2 days ago and the performance of the 14-50mm on the GH4 is no different than my GH2.

Quality wise, the 14-50mm is pretty stellar in my opinion. The sharpness is there when recording 4K on the GH4, as the sensor is using more of the center of the lens due to the 2.3 crop.

Here is a sample of a few shots I took while on my lunch break. I wanted to test out the resolution and codec when recording highly detailed subjects, gravel, leaves, running water, lines from architecture.

All clips were shot in 4K@30p and edited into a 1080 30p sequence in Premiere Pro CC 2014.

In Premiere each clip is shown at 50% and 100%.

Half of the frame is graded to show what the CineLike D color profile looks like when a slight RGB curve is applied in post.

Vimeo's compression pretty much destroys the detail, way too much macro blocking, download the original clip if you want to see the insane amount of detail this camera can deliver.

Camera Set up:
GH4 with Panasonic 14-50mm f/2.8-3.5 Leica D Vario-Elmarit Aspherical MEGA O.I.S. Lens
4K 100mb 30p, 3840x2160
CineLike D: All at 0.
ISO 200