Prometheus

richg101

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1446714/technical

are they cropping in post?  Obviously the 65mm film is wide enough to warrant the crop allowing 2.35:1.  Will they have used anamorphic lenses during filming?  It would be interesting to understand how they achieve 2.35:1 on the s35 sensor of the epic.

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
  • 2 weeks later...
Unless you see an oval bokeh I'd expect they framed for 2.35:1 on the S35 sensor the same way you get 2.35:1 with an S35 (spherical) film camera...you just crop.    S35 is a crop format, designed to release in 1.33:1, 1.5:1, 1.6:1, 1.77:1, 1.85:1, 2.2:1 or 2.35:1 either by hard masking or by using a ground glass with reference lines and cropping in post.  It's the King of Compromise.

70mm (65mm is the taking format) is/was standard for high quality, non-anamorphic release prints of 35mm films.  This is how folks saw films like Blade Runner "in 70mm" even though it originated as anamorphic 35mm.  The larger area allows a non-anamorphic release print to achieve or surpass the sharpness of a standard anamorphic release release print, especially if the film originated in anamorphic 35mm. 

Originating as anamorphic 35mm and then releasing in non-anamorphic 35mm is basically like taking a big dump on your film.  Hell, originating as non-anamorphic 35mm and then making release prints in non-anamorphic 35mm is like taking a big dump on your film.

[quote author=richg101 link=topic=795.msg5741#msg5741 date=1338379624]
Does the use of 2x epics in 3d mode equate to wider fov?
[/quote]

No.  I'm pretty sure the slight extra image at the periphery of each eye is ideally masked in projection because the lack of image overlap affects your perception of depth in that area.  The right and left edges of frame are rather critical to resolving depth properly without miscues or a headache.

In short . . . they just cropped. They shot spherical, so how else would they? Regardless, I thought it was well shot. I saw it in 3D last night and was pleasantly surprised to see a masterful use of deep DOF, which really made the 3D pop. There was shallow stuff too, mostly in character closeups, interior, during conversations and it wasn't distracting in 3D like shallow DOF often can be. I imagine it would hold up pretty good in the second dimension as well.