Selling C100 for A7s, 5d3 for A7r. Am I crazy?

Zach Ashcraft

Huh? THIS doesn't make any sense...

Just because you sleep with your Cannon cameras under your pillows at night, doesn't mean you should be blind to everything.....

Sony A7s has at least 10 slots for a quick menu button where you can put any setting you want. GH4 has a great touch screen + programmable buttons, so does the 5D. All the same ish, just a little different and none is better than the other.

C100 doesn't do 1080p 60fps neither does 5D (stock). A very cool feature with the A7s is using Full Frame or Aps-c mode, something these Canons cannot do.

No camera system is perfect and each one has it's pluses/minuses. Sony A7s would be great with better native lenses and faster auto focus. The batteries have poor life and right now there are some quirks with highlights and blues over exposing.

5D stock has great colors but average detail, really needs RAW to bring it to life. Only problem is file size and workflow from recording to post.

C100 is an excellent camera, just overpriced imo. Also no excuse at all for not being able to do 60fps 1080p

GH4 has great resolution and detail. Colors can be tricky on skin tones and the camera has average iso performance. I would say shooting and getting a nice image is the most difficult with the GH4. GH4 does have a cool MFT sensor which basically allows you to mount any lens/adapter. GH5 should work on dynamic range/color and most important higher iso.

In the end all of this are just opinions, 5D is an excellent photo camera. A7s is an excellent video camera

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

Sony A7s has at least 10 slots for a quick menu button where you can put any setting you want.

C100 doesn't do 1080p 60fps neither does 5D (stock). A very cool feature with the A7s is using Full Frame or Aps-c mode, something these Canons cannot do.

You can't put "any setting you want" there. For example the aps-c mode is something you can't put into the quick buttons.

One thing about asking for help on the internet is the fact that a lot of people giving advice may have not even used any of those cameras. In internet fashion it all seems to boil down to: "This camera has a better and cooler feature!" which is kinda weird.

First of all, C100 does have a better looking image until you go over iso 3200. A7s can do crazy high ISOs and it would work wonders in weddings. But why not just rent it first and try it out before selling a working system and doing a complete switch?

Just because you sleep with your Cannon cameras under your pillows at night, doesn't mean you should be blind to everything.....

Wow. Are you always this charming? Or did you just spend a chunk of change on a Sony A7s and feel the need to justify your purchase by ripping on other cameras and the people who use them?

In the end all of this are just opinions

Yes. Except that mine doesn't seem to count because it's not in line with yours.

@Zach

Be brand agnostic. Shoot with every camera you can get your hands on (without buying it) and it will become pretty self-evident what works best for you. Weigh the expense and downtime related with switching cameras against the improvements that you will get. Sometimes it will make sense to upgrade, and other times it is smarter to stick with what you've got for a little longer. No one can answer these questions but you!

Which lenses have you used, and in what kind of environments? 

A7 with a 28-70, A7R with 35/2.8 and 55/1.8. The former while I used the camera in a currently in-limbo review, the latter when someone passed me the camera for a bit for fun. Oh and the A7S with the 70-200 at a tradeshow, but that was really brief. I do remember struggling with getting the AF to work then, but it was pointed at a dim area.

Used in both indoors and outdoors, and I know my own GH3 is far quicker in just about every comparison.

I've been considering the merits of selling my C100 and 5d3 (and t2i) for a sony system. Am I crazy to consider this? 

It depends. Trading the 5d3 is probably a good idea in the long run but meanwhile, if the work you get done with those is good enough, why bother for the sake of swapping cameras? If you fancy the Sony A7s with a full frame sensor and just want to have one, that's another story. Go with whatever fancies you. That's not crazy, that's just normal. Our decisions are 90% emotional, anyway. 

I'd probably want some of the native sony lenses to have good AF at weddings 

You could put any brand instead of Sony in that sentence, and it would still be one of the not so good reasons to swap gear, aka on the crazy side of the scale. I for one wouldn't rely on any AF alone. For the time being. Especially in scenarios like live weddings where you can't have retakes. Although the native lenses of each system are always the best option for the most reliable AF in general.

Thoughts? Am I crazy or is Canon really that uncool. 

Yes, Canon really is uncool, but that's another story altogether.  :P

Whether you're crazy or not depends on your reasons for buying new gear. People can make great looking footage with both Sony and Canon gear. I've met some with C100/300 and some others with Sony gear, and I can't really say the gear dictates the quality of their work.

So pick whatever you fancy the most, and stop deluding yourself with all the wrong excuses.  ;)

Wow. Are you always this charming? Or did you just spend a chunk of change on a Sony A7s and feel the need to justify your purchase by ripping on other cameras and the people who use them?

Yes. Except that mine doesn't seem to count because it's not in line with yours.

Last time I checked you can buy two A7s for the price of a C100..... Also for the price of a Mark III you can buy an A7S with a nice lens....... So if you think "price" has anything to do with this, you must be talking about yourself as those Canon cameras are much more expensive.......

You can't put "any setting you want" there. For example the aps-c mode is something you can't put into the quick buttons.

One thing about asking for help on the internet is the fact that a lot of people giving advice may have not even used any of those cameras. In internet fashion it all seems to boil down to: "This camera has a better and cooler feature!" which is kinda weird.

First of all, C100 does have a better looking image until you go over iso 3200. A7s can do crazy high ISOs and it would work wonders in weddings. But why not just rent it first and try it out before selling a working system and doing a complete switch?

No way in the world you've used a Sony A7s and think the image quality in video is worst than Canon (sub 3200 iso) A7s can be bought new for $2000-2200. Much less expensive than a Mark III and C100.  At the end my only point was the A7s is a great video camera that everyone should definitely look into and see why many people are happy with it. Dynamic range is excellent and iso performance is reason alone for any and everyone to own one.

Just like owning a Blackmagic Pocket Camera , at the price and image quality it is simply amazing and better than any other camera in it's class (Color, Compression, Dynamic Range, etc.)

Got the camera today. All I had access to today was a nikon adapter and lonely 50mm 1.8 pancake lens (hence the wild flaring). I don't typically go for the run n gun handheld style, but wanted to just get the camera in my hands and challenge it. I really loved shooting with it and grading the footage is quite fun. It feels much less temperamental than C100 footage! The shots of the rocks at the end were in the 25,600 ISO neighborhood! 

Shooting something a little more produced and planned out tomorrow. 

No way in the world you've used a Sony A7s and think the image quality in video is worst than Canon (sub 3200 iso) A7s can be bought new for $2000-2200. Much less expensive than a Mark III and C100.  

I was talking about RAW. A7s is considerably worse than 5dmarkIII RAW. Actually almost every camera is. But the workflow is too much for most people (not for me though). We just shot a video with all kinds of cams, 5dmarkII, III, GH4, a7s, fs700 and gopros.

Funny how well all of them actually cut together.

I sold my 5D3 to help finance my A7s. But I use the A7s primarily for video. So autofocus means nothing to me. The low light is indispensable. If you do doc or wedding, it's nice to be able to discreetly get candid footage without lights. That said, I think the color profile on the C100 is better and also the A7s rolling shutter is dreadful - perhaps the worst of the worst. Be prepared to do some post fixing. I use the A7s with clients but for specialty use (low light) only. They all love it. A C100 IMO is overall a better doc camera with the built in ND's, audio, no rolling shutter and deeper color profile. Throw an Atomos blade on it and you're outshooting a C300 in terms of codec. It's no slouch in low light as well.

If you're already invested in EF glass, for your biz model, I'd upgrade the C100 with Atomos and keep the 5d3 around for stills. Then wait for the F7s to land.....

Guest Ebrahim Saadawi

Looking forward for more thoughts Zach on the A7s from a C100 owner. I would love to hear thoughts on how the colours compare in C-log and S-log side by side. Of all the samples I've tried grading from the A7s I hated the colours, just hated, and it's extremely hard to make it pleasing, doable but hard, I would love to know if it's phychological!

I think you are a bit crazy if you do photo to change system.LOL Wedding is a domain where reputation can be destroyed in a day, you cannot miss what is the most important moment in the life of a couple. For me there are only two mature system in photography for now for critical work which include wedding. It is not just about technical feet or spec sheet but mostly about reliability. How reliable is the autofocus of the Sony in low light, the metering in challenging lighting. How about the durability and work in adverse conditions etc. Camera do fail, my Nikon did, but it was always the shutter after very extensive use and I work in very humid and hot tropical climate. There are also a lot of other things like accessories/lens from third party manufacturers or Flash system.

When you account for all the above I don't see myself changing system if I do wedding phoography. Reliability and maturity is first and foremost. I also don't understand also the craze about low light. Two years ago the 5d3 was a benchmark in low light video. Not so long ago I remember people raving about the low light of the C300/C100 even filming under moonlight. Now is it not good enough anymore. I don't know to what level of ISO people want to shoot now. 

In my near future I am thinking of getting a Nikon D750, it looks to be the best hybrid camera now. On one side from the report and reviews coming in it seems to be the best event all rounded camera. On the other it has very very good 1080p video with very good resolution, detail, DR and low light without aliasing/moire etc. The rolling shutter also seems to be low and you have added very good 60fps at 1080p. I have been pleading to my friends in the business about not investing in Canon since the surprise advent of the D5200 video because every new camera from Nikon has been better and better in video. But nowadays some are using 6D LOL

You can grade how you choose, any camera...... Also Sony makes some great FF cameras if you only want to use photography as well (A7R).

The advantage of high iso is having something dimly lit and you being able to get the shot without flash or light blasting into anyone face. It's the difference between using 5+ lights to only having 1 or 2.

It's a tool any and everyone should have for that feature alone. People who have used the A7s love it, myself included. I never shot on Sony system (dslr) and am amazed. At the end of the day this is all personal stuff (low budget) anyways as professional for work we shoot on Red Epic cameras for video productions. The high iso advantage of the A7s though will be a reason we might really start incorporating them though professionally.