Sony A7S fullframe vs Metabones Ultra APS-C quality comparison

Jara Moravec

Hi everyone,

I have rented A7S and am trying to work out if it is the right upgrade from trusted 5D2. Looking at my options to utilize my Canon lenses I can either buy the standard Metabones adapter and use the full frame of Sony or keep the camera in APS-C (rolling shutter, 120fps) and buy Metabones ULTRA to compensate for narrower crop factor. 

My question is how these two modes compare? Metabones ULTRA should bring the FoW back to full frame and should also bring one stop of sensitivity, matching again the full frame perks. Are there any losses when using ULTRA for all occasions?

Thanks

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

The differernce between full frame and crop detail can be seen here:

http://www.similaar.com/foto/slashcam-de/slashcam-2.html

Resolution is prety much the same.  Except apsc crop is better at 60p than full frame.

There is a slight narrower feild of view using the speed booster.  If the speed booster ultra is as good as it says it is then there is no reason not to go with it really.

MattH: I don't think the chart you posted shows the comparison I am after, ie fullframe vs APS-C with Metabones at the same focal length. Real world experience from someone who has Metabones Ultra would be great but it is probably bit too early.

At this point, I can either spend $399 for a standard Metabones adapter for fullframe shooting with Canon lenses and $649 for Metabones Ultra for APS-C shooting. I am wondering whether I could get away with shooting APS-C all the time with the Ultra adapter.

MattH: I don't think the chart you posted shows the comparison I am after, ie fullframe vs APS-C with Metabones at the same focal length. Real world experience from someone who has Metabones Ultra would be great but it is probably bit too early.

At this point, I can either spend $399 for a standard Metabones adapter for fullframe shooting with Canon lenses and $649 for Metabones Ultra for APS-C shooting. I am wondering whether I could get away with shooting APS-C all the time with the Ultra adapter.

No it doesn't show a comparison with the speedbooster.  But it shows the detail difference regardless of the speed booster.  The difference between them at 60p is particularly noteworthy if 60p is important to you at all.

You may have seen this but it is a comparison using a speedbooster, though probably not the ultra:

Hopefully someone with the ultra will be able to give you some feedback.

One thing you need to be very careful with....... in Aps-c mode you will see more noise as your image is basically magnified. I shot a whole weekend and that was the first thing I noticed. I prefer FF mode as it's much cleaner than crop mode.

Also I just seen the link posted and Mr. Bloom stated this as well.

Quick question though, how do you make the image full screen when using hdmi out on the camera?  Really miss Panasonic GH3/4 in this regard as not only image is full scale you do not lose the screen on the back of the camera like you do with the Sony A7s........

Overall though Sony A7s even with it's few hiccups is an amazing camera

I have been shooting with A7S over weekend and have had some pretty difficult time grading SLog footage. Colours seem pretty dull no matter what LUTs I apply. Miles away from beautiful tones of 5D2/3 ML raw unfortunately. I am sure there is a lot to learn about this camera though.

I am currently using it with Metabones standard speedbooster and one noteworthy thing is the 24-105 lens is too far from the sensor and you get severe vignetting with this combination. Have I missed something?

Is you are using slog with sgamut you must convert sgamut to srgb if you don't the colors will always have issues. This can be done with a lut but I have not found many that seem to handle it very well.

You are getting vignetting because you are using full frame glass on a full frame sensor with a speed booster. You will need to shoot in asp-c mode to prevent this.

I know it's more money but I'm compelled to get both. There are times you need a tighter shot and regular metabones at APSC will get you that. Yeah it sucks to shell out more cash but I see no other way around. The other solution maybe to use rolling shutter fixes in premier. They actually work. 

Well I cant give any thoughts on the ultra but I can tell you you dont need to buy the regular one for $399 as you can get them for much less. I have http://www.ebay.com/itm/400573058404?_trksid=p2059210.m2749.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT this one and it works fine.

Wish I saw this a few hundred dollars ago. I ordered a Viltrox and it had way too much play and returned it. Kept the metabones. How is the amount of play on this one?