a7S questions

/p/

Hey, just a few questions regarding the Sony a7S. Hoping someone might be able to help me out.

I have read that it will not record XAVCS onto cards smaller than 64GB, in terms of speed for the card though what is the lowest speed that will be fine for XAVCS recording with no issues.. 30mbs? 45mbs? 80mbs 95mbs??

In XAVCS how long can you record for before a 64GB card is full?

Does the a7S have a recording limit like some other cameras? Or can it continuously record until the card is full??

How long will a battery last with continuous recording??

Thanks

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

I don't know about recording to smaller than 64gb cards.But recording with a 64gb card we get 2hr 41minutes(XAVC S) using Transcend SDXC-I R95-W60MB/s. They are fairly inexpensive but reliable. Record time is limited to 30 minutes. We are getting about 55 minutes per battery, they are really small so you can carry a bunch, however we use a battery grip and it makes it alot nicer and feels better in the hand.

Battery life is poor, reminds me of Blackmagic Pocket (not as bad, but close) You get between 50-60mins per battery where Panasonic GH4 gives you at least 3-4hrs per battery which is very helpful in many situations. I need to look into external power options for the A7s as I did with the Pocket.

Does anyone know how to go fullscreen mode while using the Hdmi to external monitor? I shot for two days with a small screen view, couldn't figure it out......

Also Sony A7s has serious problem with overexposure highlights and blue channel. Shooting S-log mode you have to overexpose by 2+ stops to avoid noise, which in turn lowers your dynamic range........

So from my two days shooting I would say S-Log mode does give you more dynamic range at a cost of noise, while the other picture profile modes are cleaner BUT will look horrible if overexpose ever so slightly as the image just burns out......

For all of the hate Canon Dslr's have gotten this is something I never experienced. GH4 bad in low light image at many times can look to sharp more live video, A7s great low light, but noise in S-log mode and any other mode has serious problems with blue channel clipping. Yes there are workarounds, but so easily mistakes happen......

Even 5D with not as good detail seems life a safe/better option for many situations and if using the hack on a 5D it's comparable or better than Blackmagic quality with obvious large files as well.

*No camera is perfect, pick your poison......

I'm actually quite surprised how well my A7s keeps batteries. Just set it in airplane mode and those batteries last long enough. I have 4 and don't think I've used them all up in a shoot yet. One can last me several hours (depending on the intensity of the shoot)

But yes, considering how much the 5d III gets flack, I'll still shoot my own projects with it (and raw) and keep the a7s as a b-cam and for those lowlight situations (though I think a lot of the a7s lowlight ability is also due to very good noise reduction. You can see the noise reduction blending frames a bit after going over 12,800). 5d raw is suprisingly usable with neatvideo, it cleans it up so much better than h264 material.