Is old Lomos + ceico7 adatper a real-life working solution ?

pask74

Hi there,

I love vintage filmic look (like many of us, I guess) and even though I am quite happy with the feel I'm getting from my Olympus OM lenses, I am wondering if I could get more of that cinema feel with the Lomos ?

Now, I need this Lomos+ceico7 adapter (the expensive one) to be a real-life working solution and not be upset each time I need to focus, even in a hand-held GH2 shooting situation (as I've heard some complaints about focusins with such a combo).

Does anybody know how this adapter really works in real life ?

Thanks for your help !

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
Many people use that setup. I personally have not tried it, but Andrew (Reid) shot several videos with it and is really enthusiastic.

Some people said the focusing was problematic with the oct-18, but with the ciecio adapter it seems to be ok.

You will find some videos on Vimeo and youtube that were shot with that lens.

Thanks for your reply.

Yes, I've heard those adapters are the best but I'd appreciate to have a real-life feedback from users.

Watching vimeo clips (incl. Andrew's) is what made me consider going this route ;-)

Cheers,

Yup - I had read that discussion before posting this question.
Actually, I'd like to know if the adapter itself is used to focus (is there any mechanism mounted inside it ?) or if it's "just" a "passive" metal tube.
If the latter, it means that the lens' focus mechanism is used instead... which is the tricky part, as far as I understand.

[quote author=pask74 link=topic=792.msg5744#msg5744 date=1338387275]
Actually, I'd like to know if the adapter itself is used to focus (is there any mechanism mounted inside it ?) or if it's "just" a "passive" metal tube.
If the latter, it means that the lens' focus mechanism is used instead... which is the tricky part, as far as I understand.
[/quote]

The Ceicio7 OCT18 adapter (the expensive one) works well. It does not move and is not part of the focusing mechanism. It's like any other adapter you have ever used, except that it has a small metal tab that sticks out. When you attach the Lomo lens, you just make sure to line the adapter's tab up with the notch in the lens housing (as far as I know, they all have them) and once engaged, the tab holds the lens housing in place and stops it from spinning freely.

I haven't shot with my Lomo spherical very extensively yet, but during the handful of tests that I have done, focusing has not been an issue at all. It's smooth. I didn't do any elaborate racking shots but if the adapter tab is able to lock properly, I see no reason why it would be any more problematic than, say, a Canon FD.