Canon 'Come and See' C300, C500 spot

bfilm

Just wondering what people think of the image in this canon spot, supposedly shot on c300, c500, directed by Jonathan Glazer.

There is always talk of the inferior specifications, and video-looking image in high contrast scenes, but this seems to be one of the more filmic examples...

post-35347-0-23758600-1412625225_thumb.j

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

awesome subject matter.  if it had been shot on an iphone or imax, the material would still be as powerful.  looks nice though.  I'd like a c300 if it were within reach.

Thats true, but beside the point, I'm strictly talking about image quality and the technical side of things...  

Guest fe4a3f5e8381673ce80017d29a8375f1

How do Canon get such rich colours out of the C100? I know the Canon DSLR's are renowned for their colour science, even in stock video mode, but none of them seem to be capable of quite the same rich, thick colour of the 8bit C100.

Thats true, but beside the point, I'm strictly talking about image quality and the technical side of things...  

Is it? Or is it right to the point, after all?

When we've got awesome subject material, good story and well executed shooting, the technical side of things, along with the camera brand become less relevant. It's still and important piece within the equation, but not nearly as significant as we gearheads often like to think.

No one has suggested that the C300 or C500 couldn't deliver decent looking footage, but a few people may have suggested that nowadays we can accomplish that, and perhaps more, with considerably cheaper gear, too. 

When I was watching that piece, I was automatically drawn into the story and the action, and wondering what is this bizarre sport combining rugby, boxing and wrestling, and thinking to myself what a cool way for a bunch of blokes to let off some steam. Wondering about what camera it was shot with did not occur to my mind. Take an average audience who is not obsessed with camera gear, and they would have cared even less.

Speaking of Canon and marketing, that Come and See ad campaign is working just fine for them, but the same cannot be said about their recent campaign, which turned out to be, to put it mildly, quite anticlimactic. 

They've had this big, cheesy teaser with rather pompous sounding lines online for a week or so now;

To excuses, distractions, procrastination, inertia, critics, cynics,

realists, pessimists, resistance, conventional wisdom.

To the peanut gallery, the so-called experts, the good enoughs,

the urges to pass the buck,

the easy way out, the snooze button, the panic button,

and to that little voice in the back of your head that says,

“It can't be done.â€

To all of it, we apologize.

Because we don’t see what you see.

Underneath these lines there was (and still is) a dramatic countdown clock, signifying that something out of this world was to come as the countdown reaches zero. Finally the countdown was completed, and looks like the countdown was counting down to...

Zero. 

The countdown clock reached zero at some time yesterday, after which nothing happened. ;)

Apparently they messed up the release time, and the big reveal, whatever it is, will take place after an hour or so. Nevertheless, that was quite an embarrassing marketing blunder for Canon, and the Japanese sure don't like losing face in public like that.
It'll take quite a few Come and See videos by Jonathan Glazer to cover up an over-inflated anticlimax like that.  :P

Quirky,

you had one thing in common with Canon, but what's exactly  that is I will leave to you own conflusion

have a look here:

http://***URL removed***/articles/5579438583/see-impossible-canon-counts-down-to-something?utm_campaign=internal-link&utm_source=mainmenu&utm_medium=text&ref=mainmenu

hint: last sentence.

and here's a link to pacific time

http://www.zeitzonen.de/pacific_standard_time_pst_-_usa.html

ups: it's not the last sentence, sry

:-)

Quirky,

you had one thing in common with Canon, but what's exactly  that is I will leave to you own conflusion

have a look here:

http://***URL removed***/articles/5579438583/see-impossible-canon-counts-down-to-something?utm_campaign=internal-link&utm_source=mainmenu&utm_medium=text&ref=mainmenu

hint: last sentence.

and here's a link to pacific time

http://www.zeitzonen.de/pacific_standard_time_pst_-_usa.html

ups: it's not the last sentence, sry

:-)

Either people don't read too good, or you may have something in common with the Canon marketing dept, too. I'll return the favour and let you figure out what exactly that is, but as a not so subtle hint, it's not about stating the obvious or pointing out the irrelevant. Meanwhile, perhaps both you and Canon in particular could watch and learn from companies like Apple and even Sony about how to do a launch online. 

I feel like I've been punched in the gut..I have been a fan of all of Glazer's work for over a decade ( commercials, music videos, films ) and when I saw this absolutely ugly video mixed with his trademark creative directing/editing style all I could think of was how good the commercial SHOULD have been with proper cinematic visuals applied ( better camera / grading ).

This actually made me think how much equipment DOES matter, and how much that shitty digital camera look can rob an amazing filmmaker of his visual style...man I will need some time to recover...ughhh...

This is how Glazer work is supposed to look like.

• Administrators

If this was all shot on C300 / C500 then how did they do the slow-mo sequences? It's not done in post.

Did they sneak a FS700 into the mix?

I still haven't seen Under The Skin. Been dying to watch Glazer's latest for months now. One of my all time favourite directors.

Canon had shots from this shoot at Photokina on big bill boards.

You can fault Canon on a lot of things but not their marketing, it's pretty slick. I'm surprised to the extent actually they have been able to utilise big names to sell their cinema cameras. Scorsese at the launch of Cinema EOS, Ron Howard and now Glazer. Why aren't Panasonic and Sony doing the same?

I suppose it helps when you have a Canon guy on the Emmy's awarding their own camera technology though and all sorts of lobbying going on in the film industry.

Guest fe4a3f5e8381673ce80017d29a8375f1

C500 shoots up to 120fps with external recorder.

C300 60fps @ 720p

Under the Skin was a huge letdown for me. The VFX 'dream' scenes are incredible, and it will certainly be an important reference point for filmmakers for years to come in terms of the philosophy behind how it was made. But I checked my watch about 5 times while watching it. It fell just on the side of tedious and pretentious for me. I also came very close to walking out the cinema after the scene with the kid on the beach - something I've never even contemplated doing before. I can understand why others might get more out of it though.

• 2 weeks later...

How do Canon get such rich colours out of the C100? I know the Canon DSLR's are renowned for their colour science, even in stock video mode, but none of them seem to be capable of quite the same rich, thick colour of the 8bit C100.

The balance of gain and sensitivity in the channels and the design of the photo-sites gives a lot of the colour look I'm sure, then there's the debayer at 4K and dowscale to 1080p and the firmware colour science. A lot of variables, and very few of us who don't work in Camera frimware/DSP know what's going on.

I can't really explain it, they just look great.

Stick a Ninja 2 in it and it's even better, but the AVCHD is way above normal for the spec.

Lack of higher frame rates at 1080p though? That's the only let down. Shameless market segmentation.