Travel Compact/Easy to use Camera

SRV1981

Was considering the S5 II but the size and accessories seems excessive for travel (i.e. the quality difference between this and a compact system may not be as notable for basic travel/family documenting).  

Video is primary importance and photo is secondary - don't need Log!

1. iPhone 14 Pro

2. ZV E10

3. XT4

4. ZV-1

5. RX 100 VII

Other?

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

I used to carry the NX500 with a couple of tiny pancakes primes (depending the trip) and the tiny 16-50 Power zoom..(in this bag https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/999866-REG/samsung_ed_cc3n90n_large_bag_for_all.html/accessories)

Latest trips I am bringing the R7 with an 18-135 and a couple of primes (depending again the situation and my preference at that moment in time)..(in this bag https://www.ebay.com/itm/304435980148)

The difference is the bag!

5 hours ago, MrSMW said:

For me, an easy choice. Phone.

Not necessarily an iPhone (though I do have the 13), but any photo/video-orientated one.

Single bit of kit and most of my end result ends up on or being posted from my phone so May as well start there!

This is where my independent research is leaning.  If I get an iPhone 14 Pro and add an external Tele Lens (BeastGrip, SandMarc, etc.) the images i'm seeing on my 85" projector from YouTube is honestly good enough for me.  I believe you'd have to A/B it to see and feel the difference from a dedicated video camera.  

What i've noticed on my last roadtrip is that having to take out a fairly large body (compared to a phone or P&S) then attach a lens, have a dedicated memory card, then get it to a computer etc. removed my creativity and desire to create.  A pocketable P&S or iPhone 14 Pro is where i'm leaning.  

Am I that naive to think this looks really good considering:  

this too looks stunning:

4 hours ago, SRV1981 said:

What i've noticed on my last roadtrip is that having to take out a fairly large body (compared to a phone or P&S) then attach a lens, have a dedicated memory card, then get it to a computer etc. removed my creativity and desire to create.

For me, this kind of thing has been more about ease of use rather than ultimate quality of output.

Like most, I don’t go anywhere without my phone.

I’m not going to shoot a wedding on it, never mind a serious film, but the simple fact is as much as I like the idea of a compact EDC, my phone is my EDC.

The ZV1 was intended as my personal camera…but I think I took it on a trip just the once…and preferred the images coming out of my phone which at the time was an iPhone 8.

OK, with a bit more effort, I could have got more out of the ZV1, but it was after that trip I just decided nah.

But that is just my use case, as they say, YMMV.

If I was going somewhere very special, I’d just take my most capable and compact camera of the time, which for the last couple of years, would have been S5 and now S5ii with my Sigma 28-70 zoom.

But for 99% of the time, for me, phone. 

Took a mirrorless camera for a two month trip and used my phone 98% of the time.  Not worth it imo, lugging a big camera with a lens is a drag and you worry about theft also.  If I was getting paid for a job then I would bring it but vacations shouldn’t be about the best IQ, it should just be about capturing memories.  #1 phone.

• Super Members

DJI Osmo Pocket/Pocket 2 with the anamorphic adapter is a decent option for holidays.

Tiny, great stabilisation, looks half decent and has a lot of creative/practical options built in like panoramas and tracking etc.

Also easy to share stuff from it through the phone app for social media if thats your thing.

Seriously, people favoring phones for video? You have to be kidding. I will give you one reason phones do not hack it for video: motion. The phones have no aperture, so all exposure is controlled by shutter speed (and ISO in low light). In bright light you are shooting 24 fps at 1/500th of a second, with horrible motion.

Most phones, including iPhones also have variable frame rates, which also contribute to poor depictions of motion.

The small phone sensors, leaving aside the limited dynamic range, also do not enable shallow DOF shots. No, those are not necessary, but to produce a video that is interesting it is good to have a variety of shots, not all postcards. You cannot zoom either.

For some reason, people were comparing the VZ-1 to a phone, and amazingly saying a phone was an equal or better. Really?

Of course, not one of these pro phone posters, posted a cellphone video of their own so we could inspect the results they get.

I have shot cellphone videos (even in 8K and in HDR), I have shot with some of the contenders here - the ZV-1, the ZV-10 - dedicated, compact video-centric cameras (and lots of cinema cameras too). 

Here is an example ZV-1 4K video:

Remember, the discussion here is about vacation shooting - places and people, not narrative films (and not cat videos either). So I chose this one as it is that type of video. Note: the in-camera audio on the ZV-1 is far superior to that of any cellphone.

I have demos of catalyst browse gyro stabilization from the ZV-1 that beat any phones with a gimbal. I have night videos, lots of ZV-1 examples. And cell phone ones too, if you can stand the over sharpening and bizarre motion.

I have ZV-E10 videos too, for those a little more ambitious.

The ZV-1 is tiny, fits in most pockets. And I find the ergonomics of shooting with it far superior to those of any cellphone, except for shooting vertical videos. If that is your favorite mode, then a cell phone wins hands down.

Great info! Sometimes I post for just discussion.  I like the banter and interaction. I don’t necessarily need to buy these devices.  

I was recently looking at the A7C and curious how that would be compared to an xt4 for compact, ease of use and performance . 

Just received a Panasonic G100 for a ridiculously low price and practically new. Obviously, I haven't used it that much, but from preliminary finding- don't believe the initial reviews of this camera. It's small and packed with a ton of features that my GH6 doesn't have. I'd say it's a better 1080p camera than a 4k camera, even though it does both. Photography-wise, it's as good as most APS-C cameras and you'll have the bonus of a massive lens selection which, IMO, is the main reason to choose any camera. Hope that helps.