Canon EOS-R8, EOS-R50 And New Lenses Announced

BTM_Pix

14 hours ago, PannySVHS said:

Ok, I really love the image coming from the C500 MKII. Forum members stated that the Log profiles on the Canon Hybrids are not up to the quality of the C300 MK2. Regardless the sometimes mushy codec of the C300II in low light, i really love how the camera responds in grading. C500 MKII is a dream to work with in color grading. So how doe the R5,6,8 full frame cameras compare to that when it comes to the pracitcalities of color grading?

@FHDcrew Highly deserved! 🙂

The codecs are the same, except for C300's 12-bit 444 2K. As for Log, Canon Cine line has Clog2. The hybrids only Clog & Clog3. Grading is great and pretty effortless on the R series, anything you throw at them pretty much comes out good. I find I need to tweak much more on any other log profile.

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

I like how the C300II responds in grading. Just had problems with mush in low light, color grading some low budget stuff. Codec even making a head disappear in one frame with the 12bit 444 flavour in 2K. 🙂

C500MKII is a beauty! On the CineDs tests the Canon hybrids and the C500II stand rather a bit apart regarding dynamic range and latitude. But on the other hand I have seen super beautiful stuff on the R6 mk1 in HD.

• 2 weeks later...
On 2/13/2023 at 4:48 AM, gt3rs said:

Cards got much more reliable if you buy good ones. I had 2 cards (same shitty Lexar 3400 CFast crap, no more lexar ever since then) failing in 20 years. The biggest advantage that you can store the two cards in different places to avoid thief or loss so you save backup time.
But honestly if you have 1500 dollar camera budget your are probably not shooting the Olympics. Having two cameras is probably more important that two card slots. As you can almost afford 2 x R8 (or maybe even better 1 R8 + 1 R7) vs 1 R6 II it maybe the safest option if you do it professionally.
One thing that most people do not know that dual cards protects of data loss but if 1 card fails the camera stops recording even if it has 2 cards.... it is bad but is like this at least on Canon. 

Two card slots just saved my project today. I shot for 3hrs in the scorching FL heat at a project site that was a 1.5hr roundtrip drive to create footage with a new client after weeks of coordination and schedule planning; and captured photography images that would be very difficult if not impossible to recreate since we were working with animals; and when I got home the SanDisk Extreme CFExpress card in the R5 stated it had no useable file system and not a single image had been recorded to it.

I had formatted the card before the shoot, the R5 gave absolutely no indication that one of the cards wasn't working, and yet nothing was written to the CFExpress card (or it got corrupted somehow after the shoot on the way home); that would have been a total loss of 1600 images, a refund of the client's money, and definitely a lost future client if I had only had a single card slot. I am already working with the client to shoot a few different promo videos and more photoshoots with them in the future so this would have been a pretty major loss. In my close to 20yrs of shooting I've never had this happen.

At the moment I don't know what to think; is there a bug in the R5 where it corrupted the file system for the CFE card, or did the CFE card have a problem and the R5 saved the day by continuing to operate flawlessly with the SD card.  Regardless of which scenario happened, I now know the R5 won't tell you when one card is not working, it will also keep working with the second card, and I also know I was right to never buy an A camera (other than drones) with a single card slot.

• 1 month later...
22 hours ago, ntblowz said:

Just got the R8 today and use it for an Indian Ceremony, shot most of it in 4K50P and the heating indicator only goes up to 1 bar so that is not bad.

So much lighter vs the R5 on gimbal, I can felt the weight saving!

342197655_946249066502676_4322169052582810256_n.jpg

342668494_624163259234118_5443125573611668904_n.jpg

Tell us more! I am probably buying it too..

What about the battery life? is it pro worthy do you believe?

20 minutes ago, Kisaha said:

Tell us more! I am probably buying it too..

What about the battery life? is it pro worthy do you believe?

Battery life only last 1hr with 4k.. so need either PD powerbank or charge battery often.

R7 battery life on the other hand last ages, R5 was on 2nd battery and R7 still on 1st battery when shooting the reception, both shooting 4k25p.

To me the weight saving alone is totally worth it, atm I m shoot 3 out of 6 days so far, the 277g weight saving make a difference to me as I m not as exhausted vs using R5.  So now I m tempted to get RS3 mini to have even more weight saving.

On 4/22/2023 at 3:18 PM, ntblowz said:

Battery life only last 1hr with 4k.. so need either PD powerbank or charge battery often.

R7 battery life on the other hand last ages, R5 was on 2nd battery and R7 still on 1st battery when shooting the reception, both shooting 4k25p.

To me the weight saving alone is totally worth it, atm I m shoot 3 out of 6 days so far, the 277g weight saving make a difference to me as I m not as exhausted vs using R5.  So now I m tempted to get RS3 mini to have even more weight saving.

Yes, the size is incredible for a full frame camera. The only inconvenience is that you have different batteries and different chargers per job, I would like to avoid that, but you can't have it all in this life I guess!

I am shocked of how great a battery life the R7 has, amazing!

If I get the R8 I have to budget 3 batteries I guess..

Thanks for chiming in!

So I used both R7 and R8 on a music festival, again R7 1 battery last whole night (4k25p), R8 I used pd powerbank so I don't have to swap battery.

Though I do see the overheating warning bar appearing on R8 but again only up to 1 bar, on R7 I didn't see the bar at all.  

The R7 with Sigma 18-35mm 1.8 is a killer combo, the 4k crop mode is really handy for zoom in (make the 35mm end into a 100mm equivalent zoom), and IS is tripod like stability even in a crowded space, just the 4k60p and lowlight noise is not as good as the R8.

On 4/26/2023 at 5:29 PM, ntblowz said:

So I used both R7 and R8 on a music festival, again R7 1 battery last whole night (4k25p), R8 I used pd powerbank so I don't have to swap battery.

Though I do see the overheating warning bar appearing on R8 but again only up to 1 bar, on R7 I didn't see the bar at all.  

The R7 with Sigma 18-35mm 1.8 is a killer combo, the 4k crop mode is really handy for zoom in (make the 35mm end into a 100mm equivalent zoom), and IS is tripod like stability even in a crowded space, just the 4k60p and lowlight noise is not as good as the R8.

Any links for r7 footage ?

On 4/30/2023 at 10:18 AM, SRV1981 said:

Any links for r7 footage ?

Will share once I done the edit

9 hours ago, dreamplayhouse said:

Is it possible to load Cinestyle on the Canon R50/R10 ? I know they don't have C-Log 3 so wondering.

Just use HDR-PQ which will have more DR than cinestyle profile, like this guy shot in HDR to get the most of DR.

1 hour ago, ntblowz said:

Will share once I done the edit

Just use HDR-PQ which will have more DR than cinestyle profile, like this guy shot in HDR to get the most of DR.

Agreed I don't know why people don't talk about HDR PQ on these cameras.  A lot like a LITE LOG profile, and you can even convert it to LOG in Davinci using ColorSpaceTransform to get a grading experience one is used to.

14 hours ago, FHDcrew said:

Agreed I don't know why people don't talk about HDR PQ on these cameras.  A lot like a LITE LOG profile, and you can even convert it to LOG in Davinci using ColorSpaceTransform to get a grading experience one is used to.

Can you point me to how you can convert the HDR PQ video to LOG in Resolve? I'm looking to learn more about Resolve as I just purchased the full version recently. Thank you

20 minutes ago, Django said:

tried out a bunch of cams but forgot about the R8, might have to go back and check it out.. what's the overheat limit like @ntblowz ?

also I've never tried "HDR PQ". what are the benefits compared to log? baked-in look with similar DR?

Haven't run into overheating here as it is autumn heading into winter.. but I feel it wont last as long as R7 or R5 during summer time, I did got up to 4-5 bars under full sun in the afternoon for 4K50p during ceremony. (temp 20-21c), on 4K25p only up to 2 bars.  I have yet to see the bar appearing on R7.

HDR-PQ is for HDR display which u dont need to grade if it is playing on HDR device, but you can grade it like log profile and export for SDR monitor which is what the guy did for that R50 video.

On 5/4/2023 at 4:07 PM, ntblowz said:

Haven't run into overheating here as it is autumn heading into winter.. but I feel it wont last as long as R7 or R5 during summer time, I did got up to 4-5 bars under full sun in the afternoon for 4K50p during ceremony. (temp 20-21c), on 4K25p only up to 2 bars.  I have yet to see the bar appearing on R7.

HDR-PQ is for HDR display which u dont need to grade if it is playing on HDR device, but you can grade it like log profile and export for SDR monitor which is what the guy did for that R50 video.

Overheating is a main concern here in Greece, we have Sahara desert (literally we have Sahara sand dozens of days in Greece lately) weather during summers (climate change and all..). Main reason I never considered Sony for workhorse cameras, NX1 were amazing at the time in heat dissipation. I do an indoors theater tmrow and I will use the R7 for the very first time for a job, but it will keep just a wide shot..I will check battery life and heat management, as it is usually north of 25degrees C in full indoor theaters.. my main camera will be the Pocket 4K though with the Olympus 12-100mm 4f.

As I stated in the Panasonic S5ii thread,

June, I would like to go to full frame and I am between S5II(X) and R8, for different reasons each choice.

R8 will be complementary to the R7, but Panasonic S5IIX can take the part of the Pocket+R8+R7 I guess..(I certainly need 2 cameras though to have at all times, and the S5IIX doesn't have a clear candidate for a lesser and cheaper second body, but maybe I just keep also the Pocket 4K, and the S5 is the all arounder..easy).

What do you guys think? Is the Sigma EF adapter worth it? Is the X a better option for video or the (much, at this point with some reductions I see) cheaper S5ii is enough?

I am just bored to sell things, I could easily sell the Pocket and the Olympus lens and replace it with an R8 and a new RF lens (maybe an ultra wide of some kind), or else I could go the S5II way, and sell everything else (which is a lot of hustle and hurdle because so much stuff, and newly bought have to go..). The thing is, that both R7 and R8 are NOT hardcore video tools like the S5IIX seems to be, and the Pocket 4K is..or else I would have gone the R8 way already..

The main reasons that I am reluctant with RF is the lens situation, I am not covered at all with crop lenses (ridiculous, not even close to my NX set up) and there isn't a do it all all arounder for run and gun. At the moment I use the 18-135mm with the ND Meike adapter, which is ok, but It is like an 29mm lens at the wide end, and my favorite on zooms is 24mm.

The Olympus, which I own already, is a 24-200mm, perfect..Sony has some as well and a new 20-70mm (20mm at the wide end is incredible) and you can buy right now the Panasonic S5ii with the 20-60mm kit and the great 50mm with a little bit more of what the R8 costs! sorry, but this is just incredible pricing..the 20-60 kit is ok for most projects, and with the Sigma adapter I can use my EF lenses like I do in RF, no big deal there..

Decisions decisions..

29 minutes ago, Kisaha said:

Overheating is a main concern here in Greece, we have Sahara desert (literally we have Sahara sand dozens of days in Greece lately) weather during summers (climate change and all..). Main reason I never considered Sony for workhorse cameras, NX1 were amazing at the time in heat dissipation. I do an indoors theater tmrow and I will use the R7 for the very first time for a job, but it will keep just a wide shot..I will check battery life and heat management, as it is usually north of 25degrees C in full indoor theaters.. my main camera will be the Pocket 4K though with the Olympus 12-100mm 4f.

R8 will be complementary to the R7, but Panasonic S5IIX can take the part of the Pocket+R8+R7 I guess..(I certainly need 2 cameras though to have at all times, and the S5IIX doesn't have a clear candidate for a lesser and cheaper second body, but maybe I just keep also the Pocket 4K, and the S5 is the all arounder..easy).

My original plan was R8 + R7 combo, but like you I dont have much ASPC lens except the Sigma 18-35mm 1.8 and 18-150mm rf-s lens, I did use the 18-150mm on a number of jobs cause for event having good focal range is the king. The Sigma 18-35 1.8 not so much cause I got 24-70mm 2.8 which is similar size/weight but more reach, so I decide to sell the R7 and keep R5 at end.

In here for the price S5II body you can R8+24-50mm kit + RF 50mm 1.8 + used 35mm 1.8 or  ef 17-40mm f4 or ef 24-105 f4 or ef 70-200 f4 .. so for me R8 is definitely the better buy, if you want to shoot 4K50p/60P the 20 end become 30mm which is not so wide. But if S5II with kit and 50mm is similar as R8 over there then go ahead I guess?

49 minutes ago, ntblowz said:

My original plan was R8 + R7 combo, but like you I dont have much ASPC lens except the Sigma 18-35mm 1.8 and 18-150mm rf-s lens, I did use the 18-150mm on a number of jobs cause for event having good focal range is the king. The Sigma 18-35 1.8 not so much cause I got 24-70mm 2.8 which is similar size/weight but more reach, so I decide to sell the R7 and keep R5 at end.

In here for the price S5II body you can R8+24-50mm kit + RF 50mm 1.8 + used 35mm 1.8 or  ef 17-40mm f4 or ef 24-105 f4 or ef 70-200 f4 .. so for me R8 is definitely the better buy, if you want to shoot 4K50p/60P the 20 end become 30mm which is not so wide. But if S5II with kit and 50mm is similar as R8 over there then go ahead I guess?

Image is not my main job, sound and assistant director are, so I can not afford R5 price bodies. Not even R6mkII, which ideally would be my first option, but it is 3.000euros (inlcuding trade in bonus + cash back! imagine the normal price..).

The Sigma was never convenient for me, there were always a better option, not quite wide for me (as I said, 24mm equiv. is my must) and never long enough for portraits or weddings/ceremonies..when my main camera was the NX1 the incredible 16-50mm 2-2.8f O.I.S NX was a much better and complete option and for almost all the Sigma range was 2f..not that big of a difference, wider and longer also..

The Canon prices in Europe are ridiculous..Panasonic is very competitive, and there is the other thing, the Panasonic 20-60 in my opinion is alright for basic pro stuff, the Canon 24-50mm is a joke..a lot less light, and a lot smaller range than the Pana one..this is significant for me, as an 20-60 can cover my basic needs, and if the Sigma adapter works, I could put some EF glass in front for longer distance..(I have the 70-200mm 4f EF which is great value and I love the size/weight ratio and others).

I have already the 16/35/50mm RF and I am not sure if the Sigma adapter has similar AF performance as the EF to RF adapters..that is something I do not have a definite confirmation as of yet..

I went from Canon R6 to Panasonic S5ii with 20-60 and 50 1.8 lenses - have no regrets at all.

The S5ii with sigma adaptor and ef lenses is great, again no complaints and works with AF really well, no noticeable difference to how the same lenses worked with ef to rf adaptor on the R6

Anyway I wrote about it a while ago, don't know a clever way to link to it so will copy and paste below, am sure there are some similarities between the R6 and R8 here...

"Ok have been using and testing the S5ii for a few weeks now as a replacement for Canon R6 and am overall very happy with it. Will be selling the R6.

I did consider getting the R6ii but it was nearly £800 more expensive than the S5ii and still had some of the issues I had with the R6 - namely micro HDMI, no external monitor when using the touchscreen, and still the relatively poor DR of Canon mirrorless 

The new R8 also came into the picture but no IBIS and poor battery life meant it wouldn't work for me.

I looked at used R5's too but was put off by the 30 minute record limit, micro HDMI, lingering doubts about it still overheating and relatively poor DR with higher price tag and added expense of new cf express cards.

Back to the S5ii and I've really enjoyed using it. Where I feel it is better than the R6 is...

IBIS - this is big for me and didnt realise just how much better it is than on the R6. Has really helped speed up the filming process grabbing handheld shots I wouldn't have the confidence to do with the Canon.

DR, again quite a big difference, image feels fuller and cleaner than R6

Full size HDMI - again for me a biggie. I tried using a micro HDMI clamp on Fuji Xt3 and it still broke. I detest micro HDMI and has no place on a camera that claims to take video seriously. 

External monitor works whilst still having access to a fully functioning touchscreen of the camera. You can also put luts on the monitor image. All very nice for my ageing eyes 

Audio - this is the first mirrorless camera where I feel comfortable recording sound internally on important stuff. The 96khz 24 bit with line level and decent preamps I think make all the difference. I use Sound Devices mix pre-d for XLR on the base of the camera. I know Panasonic and Sony and now Canon using Tascam have an xlr audio adaptor you can attach to the hotshoe but that seems a crazy place to hang xlr cables to me and looks like an accident waiting to happen. Am very happy not using external audio and syncing up.

AF for video - using the Sigma adaptor my EF lenses work on the S5ii just as well as they do on the R6. This has been a bit of a surprise I thought the R6 would still be better for AF but for my uses I think they are about the same. The S5ii sticks to its subject just as well. For stills I haven't really tested too much - for sports or wildlife fast moving stuff I presume the R6 maybe better but that's not what I photograph. Am still waiting for Capture one to be able to use RAW on the S5ii but have been very happy with the jpegs so far. Am aware the R6ii has improved feature with subject only that maybe better now for video AF

Lenses - I got the 20-60mm and 50mm 1.8 with the S5ii at a good price. They are both great lenses for video - well built, silent and fast AF and come with good quality lens hoods. Drives me mad that with Canon you have to buy an L lens to get a hood. The 20-60mm is surprisingly good, 20mm is a great bonus when traditionally these zooms start at 24mm. The zoom ring is quite firm but solid and won't extend under gravity like my 24-105mm L lens is prone to do. I love the 50mm it has a nice big dampened focus ring and is a good size and weight on the S5ii, feels nicely balanced. Am using it way more than I ever did the little plastic 50mm stm lens I have for the R6 which was slow with AF and cheap feeling focus ring. I think these silent focusing Panasonic lenses are better for video than most of the noisy Canon lenses i have.

Crop mode in apsc the S5ii is sharper and cleaner than the R6, handy for extra reach 

Colour - I really like working with vlog in Resolve and feel it is more malleable than the Canon R6's clog3 which has less DR to play with and has some strange cut off going on in the shadows.

One thing I will miss about the R6 is the Meike vari nd filter adapter I used which was great when using EF lenses and better and much cheaper thsn the Canon version. I hear that Meike are making one for the Panasonic so will be keen to get that so long as it works as well as the Sigma adaptor does.

R6 has 4k 50p full frame but I don't use it so no big deal for me - obviously for some it is important 

Anyway that's all I can think of for now, hope someone finds it useful"

Just to add there has been no issues of overheating whatsoever with the S5ii, don't think I'd trust a Canon to be that reliable. Having that peace of mind is huge for me

19 hours ago, ade towell said:

R6 has 4k 50p full frame but I don't use it so no big deal for me - obviously for some it is important 

For me having FF 4K50P is definitely priority number one, you loose the FF look and also the noise too vs APSC crop and make focal length less wide, I have used my R5 with external monitors for many times and the micro hdmi port still hold up well even though my R5 have gone through some tough situations (lots of paint clips around the body or dropped from the table.. camera still tough as tank), I haven't seen any overheating warning even when shooting 8K stock footage whole day under the big sun with not clouds so that initial overheating firmware is real B$ from canon.

R6 have to cropped a bit in FF 4K (5K oversample) and upscale a bit in crop 4K so quality is a bit less than R6II/R8 with full 6K FF/1:1 in crop 4k.

Since I also shoot in controlled environment with 300D/600D lights so DR is not much of an issue vs shooting everything natural/ambient/small light for some of the people out there.

For XLR Audio I just get Zoom F3 with 32bit float which you dont have to worry about peaking ever. 

Not every system is perfect but we can get creative with those short coming, you just choose whatever suits you as there and try work out the kinks as there is no perfect system out there.

329951384_733229501572321_7293333746732740259_n.jpg