Canon EOS-R8, EOS-R50 And New Lenses Announced

BTM_Pix

1 hour ago, newfoundmass said:

I'm merely pointing out, in response to people insisting on comparing the R8 to 3 year old cameras to point out how great it is, that someone before long will inevitably come along and release a FF 4k60p camera but without all the compromises for under $2000. 

That's what so-called pundits where expecting three years ago when the original R6 dropped. Still hasn't happened, not even in the sub-$4K range. So who's going to do it? Sony? Nope, they won't put a new FF sensor that will cannibalise their best selling A7IV inside a $1500 camera. Besides FF 40K60p 10-bit sensor won't work in the tiny A7C body. Panasonic? They just released S5ii, have S5iiX planned with no FF4K60p and they don't do $1500 cameras. Who's left.. slow-poke Nikon? We're still waiting on Z8 (a $4K camera). 

Like it or not Canon have been pioneering quite a number of things in their mirrorless range, including 6K/8K internal RAW cameras. Something only the $6K Z9 can currently do. So yeah sometimes you just gotta give them credit where credit is due. Too easy to just dismiss it by saying no big deal, someone else will do the same soon when they've literally proven to be years ahead. 

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

@newfoundmassyou are talking about the One and only camera that had those benefits 5 years ago..but me and many others didn't own that camera, and we didn't want to..

However, I get where you are coming from, and I said it, but you are not reading the words. GH5 was an amazing tool at the time, so good, that most people still using them I do not see them go for the GH6.

I still use the GH5 on a specialized TV series I am working occasionally. I do not want to comment about the GH5, for me was just a great, souless, tool, but not for me to purchase. Also, that job is typical of the GH5 user case. Run faster than Usein Bolt and gun them like you are in Ukraine..I hate those kind of jobs, and that is why I probably never liked this camera.

For more personal projects, more controlled, photography, live performances and almost everything in between, I never missed anything of GH5!

Also, there is a little thingy called the TRIPOD, most GH5 users, sorry, and I am talking from personal experience, they do not even carry a tripod with them!

I, once, had a heavy argument with a director because he didn't want me to use tripod for static shots of cars (it was an auto show), and probably I lost that job from that reason also!

I have gimbals, the Flowtech with an FSB head, some Edelkrones, and optical stabilizer of course on so many lenses..

The R8 is not at all like the GH5/6, if you need the GH5, you are very happy, you are set, you own that camera. I do not understand what is your issue here!

I am saying that is a great camera FOR SOME, and I explained my user case as much as I could..

The worrying part is the fact that you can't comprehend how this is a very attractive camera for 1.500$ for a huge part of the specific market, and why it matters so much!

I didn't have a Canon camera since the 60D(!) but the first RF releases (R and RP) were laughable, but, in my opinion, they have started delivering, not 100% yet, but they are in a nice roll lately. 

The R7 was a great release, and this R8 is quite good in my opinion. If the R6mkII comes down to 2.350€ soon, that would be great also (is 3.150€ right now, a good release, with an impossible price, so, not that good!).

For a dozen of years I didn't own a Canon, so definitely not a fan boy, they started to appeal to some, why not to admit it?

3 hours ago, newfoundmass said:

How is this camera built for speed? 

Maybe because it can oversample a FF 24 mpix sensors at 60 fps 10 bit with full AF and can shoot 40fps 12 bit RAW pictures with full AF and AE.

40 fps RAW I believe it makes it the fastest FF RAW camera (with the R6 ii)…. just a few years ago you would need to buy a 1Dx class camera for 12/14 fps RAW….

But I finally find your problem with this camera … is not a Panasonic 🤣🤣

Not even worth arguing with at this point. I guarantee you if this camera would be called S8 with a square form factor and a Lumix badge, Panny boys would be praising it. Panasonic users are extremely apologetic when it comes to their own shortcomings like DFD focus ( real men don't use AF ) oh and remember when GH5S was the no IBIS $2500 flagship? real men don't need IBIS. Sensor size? real men prefer MFT to FF.  etc etc.

Confirmation bias all day.

Calm down and stop being so defensive. I've said nothing that others, including a Canon user in @herein2020, haven't said. That it annoys you so much that people aren't impressed with this camera says more about you than any of us. I've been as hard on Panasonic these past couple of years as anyone. It's such a lame excuse to accuse people of fan boyism.

8 hours ago, gt3rs said:

I'm a bit puzzled why in a shrinking industry people would invest on L mount with basically only nice players with no high-end cinema and entry level consumers camera offering.... Currently the only two pseudo safe bet are Sony and Canon as both have from entry level to high-end cinema camera. Sony has already all in the mirrorless mount and Canon is following, plus you have REDs using the same RF mount.

Competition is good isn’t it.  Why not share the pie, it would be boring if it’s just Sony and Canon.  I’m thankful that there are Sigmas, Panasonic, black magic, Fuji, Leica, DJI etc. because they offer different things for different users.  It’s not like these brands are gonna die anytime soon, there are fan bases for them.  There all just tools anyways and filmmakers/videographers/photographers are just trying to find the right tool that works for them, there’s nothing wrong about someone being interested in choosing L-mount/Z/fx mount/?, just because they don’t have a high-end cinema line.  

Many great cameras out there!

Especially for video. There is no argument about it.

Having seen almost everything in the last 3 decades, the value for money we are getting right now is unbelievable.

Ask me for any camera in the market, and I can tell you 5 things that it does amazingly well that you couldn't even do 10 years ago..

Just embrace and enjoy!

On 2/9/2023 at 12:58 AM, John Matthews said:

The R8 really looks like a bare-bones FF camera with the main purpose of "buying FF". Also, you know when people actually get their hands on it, there will be some sort of gotcha with Canon. I'd never buy Canon after the BS R5 debacle.

I was looking at the high ISO raw files of the R6 ii (on DPREVIEW)... they only look about 1 stop better than older M43 cameras. Is it a Sony sensor?...I'm used to seeing much better high ISO performance.

I felt the same way after the R5 ridiculous BS, but I had to set my personal feelings aside and buy what was best for my business. I came very close to going all in on Panasonic for photography and video but I couldn't bring myself to buy into the L mount "alliance" or go all in on a system with such terrible AF.

With Panasonic out of the picture and my large collection of EF mount lenses, when the C70 came out and the R7 came out they were simply what was most economical and what worked best for my business.

Canon sensors really aren't known for their DR, even the C70 with its famous DGO sensor is just ok IMO, not the revolutionary breakthrough that the marketing materials would lead you to believe.  But with all modern cameras being so good, just ok is good enough for me when combined with its other features. 

I feel the same way about the R7, and R6II, their IQ is good enough for anything I need and the story you are trying to tell with them is far more important than specs on paper. 

The R8 on the other hand IMO has a lot of real world compromises (battery size, ergonomics, single card slot, etc.) that I feel are more important than IQ to keep it at its current price point with a FF sensor. YT and other social media platforms do far more damage to my IQ than any crop sensor or line skipped footage ever will. 

Today right now I feel that Sony and Canon have the most complete ecosystems, since I already have an investment in Canon EF glass, it is a natural choice for me to stick with Canon's ecosystem.

16 hours ago, herein2020 said:

The R8 on the other hand IMO has a lot of real world compromises (battery size, ergonomics, single card slot, etc.) that I feel are more important than IQ to keep it at its current price point with a FF sensor. YT and other social media platforms do far more damage to my IQ than any crop sensor or line skipped footage ever will. 

Battery size I'm fully with you but ergonomics?
It misses a joystick compared to the R7, moving the AF points with the touch screen is better for movies as you are not bumping the camera as with the joystick and is quicker so not really sure that this one omission makes it such a big deal.

Andrew posted that R8 has bad ergonomics and people do not even check 😁 

https://camerasize.com/compact/#903,890,ha,b

https://camerasize.com/compact/#903,890,ha,t

Cards got much more reliable if you buy good ones. I had 2 cards (same shitty Lexar 3400 CFast crap, no more lexar ever since then) failing in 20 years. The biggest advantage that you can store the two cards in different places to avoid thief or loss so you save backup time.
But honestly if you have 1500 dollar camera budget your are probably not shooting the Olympics. Having two cameras is probably more important that two card slots. As you can almost afford 2 x R8 (or maybe even better 1 R8 + 1 R7) vs 1 R6 II it maybe the safest option if you do it professionally.
One thing that most people do not know that dual cards protects of data loss but if 1 card fails the camera stops recording even if it has 2 cards.... it is bad but is like this at least on Canon. 

But I do agree for some IBIS + Longer battery + dual cards  is more important than FF + 4k60 HQ the good thing that you can pick the one that fits you better or stretch the budget and and have it all in the R6 II or 1 R8 + 1 R7 

2 hours ago, gt3rs said:

Battery size I'm fully with you but ergonomics?
It misses a joystick compared to the R7, moving the AF points with the touch screen is better for movies as you are not bumping the camera as with the joystick and is quicker so not really sure that this one omission makes it such a big deal.

Andrew posted that R8 has bad ergonomics and people do not even check 😁 

https://camerasize.com/compact/#903,890,ha,b

https://camerasize.com/compact/#903,890,ha,t

Cards got much more reliable if you buy good ones. I had 2 cards (same shitty Lexar 3400 CFast crap, no more lexar ever since then) failing in 20 years. The biggest advantage that you can store the two cards in different places to avoid thief or loss so you save backup time.
But honestly if you have 1500 dollar camera budget your are probably not shooting the Olympics. Having two cameras is probably more important that two card slots. As you can almost afford 2 x R8 (or maybe even better 1 R8 + 1 R7) vs 1 R6 II it maybe the safest option if you do it professionally.
One thing that most people do not know that dual cards protects of data loss but if 1 card fails the camera stops recording even if it has 2 cards.... it is bad but is like this at least on Canon. 

But I do agree for some IBIS + Longer battery + dual cards  is more important than FF + 4k60 HQ the good thing that you can pick the one that fits you better or stretch the budget and and have it all in the R6 II or 1 R8 + 1 R7 

No I didn't just go by what Andrew said, I looked at it for myself, and the R8 is missing the back wheel around the joystick which I use on literally every single shoot, they moved the photo/video switch to the left side which means I would need to let go of my side handle to flip the switch vs the R7 which is on the right side and right under my thumb allowing me to instantly switch from photos to quick video clips during events, and last but not least it is even smaller and lighter than the R7.

When shooting video handheld I like big heavy cameras, the bigger and heavier the better for stability especially since Canon has IBIS wobble problems with wider lenses. The R7 with a cage and side/top handles is the perfect size for me, big enough to easily rig heavier but small enough to quickly strip down to a gimbal camera.

I never use the touch screen to focus, that would mean I would need to take one hand off of the camera and touch the screen. I stick to center cross hairs and keep both hands on the camera. The R5, R7, and C70 all have a back wheel which I use to quickly adjust the aperture or shutter speed without letting go of the camera. Only my Canon Rebel doesn't have a back wheel and for that camera I don't care since it is just a timelapse camera.

So yes, I did reach my own conclusions that the R8 is not as ergonomically friendly to my specific shooting style as the R5 or R7 and is closer in ergonomics to my Canon Rebel.

I will never get a camera with a single card slot when dual card slots are available on so many cameras. Many more things can happen to footage vs just the card going bad or the camera stopping the recording. I shoot event work and most of my customers re-hire me year after year, all it would take is one year of lost footage for them to hire someone else leading to much more lost revenue than the cost of getting dual slots. Computers can get infected with viruses that wipe out your footage, if you are transferring the raw footage onsite with the client their computer could be infected, or their card reader could fry your card, etc. etc. None of this has happened to me but I have had a few clips disappear in the middle of a project (possibly accidentally deleted or overwritten) and I have used the second card to get it back.  With equipment being so good these days sometimes the only thing separating the professional from the beginner is the level of preparation for when things go wrong.

When I need multiple cameras for a project I pair the R7 with the R5 or C70, if I had to buy an additional camera body tomorrow then I would just buy another R7. If your budget is $3K and you need two camera bodies then I would recommend two R7s, that way they can share batteries and accessories, menus and ergonomics are identical, etc. I just really don't see what the big deal is about shooting FF or non-line skipped 4K60FPS. RS doesn't bother me since I don't shoot fast action. 

As I mention in many of my posts, these are just my opinions, my workflow, and what works for me, in today's times, there's something for everyone.

Great insights. Just like @MrSMW accounts showing the practical side of things in heavy use. I only used my S1 three times for tiny jobs and of course I wouldnt recognize potential lacks for professional work. But you do with your heavy load of work. So that means you always record with two cards, one as backup? @herein2020 S1 having two different card types for that manner btw. 🙂

11 minutes ago, herein2020 said:

No I didn't just go by what Andrew said, I looked at it for myself, and the R8 is missing the back wheel around the joystick which I use on literally every single shoot, they moved the photo/video switch to the left side which means I would need to let go of my side handle to flip the switch vs the R7 which is on the right side and right under my thumb allowing me to instantly switch from photos to quick video clips during events, and last but not least it is even smaller and lighter than the R7.

On the switch this is really nitpicking... R5c has the switch on the left side. R5 does not even have the switch but you need to program a button and imo is worst as you can hit it by mistake as I do sometime and I hate it. So imo on the switch R8 > R5.
R7 has two wheels one for the index finger and one on the back but place much higher .... R8 has two wheels too one for the index finger and one that you can reach with your thumb on top like the R5, R5c, R3 and so on... it seems to me that the R7 is the strange one here.... if the R7 would have had 3 wheels maybe but it again it only has 1 joystick more....

I can understand that for your usage or preference you like the ergonomics of the R7 better, but claiming that the R8 has bad ergonomics is a bit of a long shoot.

1 hour ago, gt3rs said:

On the switch this is really nitpicking... R5c has the switch on the left side. R5 does not even have the switch but you need to program a button and imo is worst as you can hit it by mistake as I do sometime and I hate it. So imo on the switch R8 > R5.
R7 has two wheels one for the index finger and one on the back but place much higher .... R8 has two wheels too one for the index finger and one that you can reach with your thumb on top like the R5, R5c, R3 and so on... it seems to me that the R7 is the strange one here.... if the R7 would have had 3 wheels maybe but it again it only has 1 joystick more....

I can understand that for your usage or preference you like the ergonomics of the R7 better, but claiming that the R8 has bad ergonomics is a bit of a long shoot.

I "hate" the wheel with the joystick, it doesn't cut it for me.

The wheel on the R8 at the top (where the ON/OFF is) is a second wheel; that would be Very good. Even lower for the back wheel would have been amazing (it is so easy to do it right, look at the NX1 and NX500 to see how easy it is to implement it right..).

R7 has a nice front dial for AUTO/MANUAL focus which I don't remember having it on another camera, and it is brilliant. The joystick/wheel, not really..

3 hours ago, gt3rs said:

You've been dismissive and combative with everyone that has been remotely critical of this camera. Give it a rest. If you want to disagree with people, fine, but do it without accusing them of just parroting Andrew or being "fanboys" of another camera company. 

It lacks customizable function buttons of other cameras in its price range. It lacks dual card slots, which is also available in other cameras in its price range. Likewise, it lacks IBIS, which is also available in cameras in its price range. That it's so lightweight also doesn't do it any favors when it comes to stabilization. It has a worse EVF than many cameras in its price range. It has micro HDMI. These are all ergonomic issues that make the camera less efficient in a working environment. They might not matter to you, but they matter to a lot of people and are enough to make some of us say that this camera has poor ergonomics/design. 

6 hours ago, gt3rs said:

I don't think its nitpicking at all, you asked why I said I don't like the ergonomics of the R8 and I told you why, I could say the same thing about the FF sensor and RS concerns but I understand that what is important to some people isn't important to others and vice versa. 

The R7 is the first body I have ever owned that I trust enough to shoot full events and projects that need both photos and video, that's saying a lot for someone who used to haul around 2 bodies at all times; so yes to me ergonomics is very important when trying to keep people's attention at events long enough to get a few pictures and add a video clip to it; something I was never able to do before.

I do agree with you that the R5's lack of a dedicated video button is very annoying as well, but I don't use the R5 as a hybrid camera, its 95% photos only so it doesn't matter as much to me. And yes, the R7 with the wheel around the joystick is the odd one out, but its a great design that makes up for the fact that it does not have the lower wheel IMO and I wish every other Canon camera had it as well; these days it seems like Canon has a new button layout for every body which doesn't make sense to me.

6 hours ago, PannySVHS said:

Great insights. Just like @MrSMW accounts showing the practical side of things in heavy use. I only used my S1 three times for tiny jobs and of course I wouldnt recognize potential lacks for professional work. But you do with your heavy load of work. So that means you always record with two cards, one as backup? @herein2020 S1 having two different card types for that manner btw. 🙂

Yes, I always have all of my cameras set to dual slot recording for photos and video. The R5 also has two different cards and it is quite annoying to me. I understand the R5 can shoot 8K and needs the faster CFexpress card but I would rather no 8K and dual SD cards than to have to have oddball CFexpress cards. I like to keep everything interchangeable with everything else and I really like that I can use the same SD cards in the R5, R7, and C70. One benefit of the CFexpress card though is that it offloads to my desktop about 3-5x faster than the SD cards so that's really all I use it for.

5 hours ago, Kisaha said:

I "hate" the wheel with the joystick, it doesn't cut it for me.

The wheel on the R8 at the top (where the ON/OFF is) is a second wheel; that would be Very good. Even lower for the back wheel would have been amazing (it is so easy to do it right, look at the NX1 and NX500 to see how easy it is to implement it right..).

R7 has a nice front dial for AUTO/MANUAL focus which I don't remember having it on another camera, and it is brilliant. The joystick/wheel, not really..

🤣 I think its awesome, that's why there's something for everyone. It took me one event to get used to it, now its second nature for me, especially when going from outdoors to indoors or vice versa I start scrolling it before even bringing it back up to shooting position. I do wish it also had the lower wheel because it is annoying to have to press the ISO button first, but after pressing it I use the wheel again to adjust it.

I never use the focus button since all of my EF lenses have a MF/AF switch and I am more used to using that but since not all RF lenses have that switch it would be useful for people with RF lenses.

@herein2020the little front switch is convenient because you do not have to take your hands from the camera, or your eye from the viewfinder, and not all RF lenses have the switch..

I am used to work with 2 high wheels (front/back) and the lower back for ISO.

The wheel with the joystick is far up and far left for my fingers! Maybe it's my fingers!

In general speakings. There is an R8 that haves everything you want, and it is called R6mkII. Please, be my guest.

This is an entry level camera that in my opinion is much better than the one that replaces, and that can be used even professionally for some projects. If someone wants a different tool, why it is so important, that it won't be this camera?!

If you have to know, very limited production companies use the equipment we usually discuss here, and that is only in the lower level in the industry if they do. do you believe that a production company, or even a TV station are using Fuji or Panasonic S cameras?! Or shooting ads with Sony A7iv?

Most of the ads are Alexa/Red anyway, and in TV, it was always about (higher) C and FS, and now FX are doing great, replacing everything in the low end. There are also the smaller sensored broadcast cameras, but that's another world altogether..

On 2/13/2023 at 3:15 PM, Kisaha said:

@herein2020the little front switch is convenient because you do not have to take your hands from the camera, or your eye from the viewfinder, and not all RF lenses have the switch..

I am used to work with 2 high wheels (front/back) and the lower back for ISO.

The wheel with the joystick is far up and far left for my fingers! Maybe it's my fingers!

In general speakings. There is an R8 that haves everything you want, and it is called R6mkII. Please, be my guest.

This is an entry level camera that in my opinion is much better than the one that replaces, and that can be used even professionally for some projects. If someone wants a different tool, why it is so important, that it won't be this camera?!

If you have to know, very limited production companies use the equipment we usually discuss here, and that is only in the lower level in the industry if they do. do you believe that a production company, or even a TV station are using Fuji or Panasonic S cameras?! Or shooting ads with Sony A7iv?

Most of the ads are Alexa/Red anyway, and in TV, it was always about (higher) C and FS, and now FX are doing great, replacing everything in the low end. There are also the smaller sensored broadcast cameras, but that's another world altogether..

That's a good point with the MF switch, I just haven't gotten used to it, when I need to switch back and fourth I usually hold the camera differently and keep the left hand on the lens barrel vs on the side handle, plus I need it there anyway once the lens is in MF because I need to use the focus ring on the lens to keep focus from that point forward. 

The R8 actually has nothing I want, I don't need a FF sensor for anything that I do and the R6II has nothing that I need. My camera purchases are done hopefully for at least the next 3-5yrs. I have a dedicated photography camera (R5), dedicated hybrid camera (R7), a dedicated video camera (C70), a dedicated time lapse camera (Canon Rebel), and a dedicated action camera/underwater camera (GoPro), between those five there is no project I can't shoot that comes my way and if I need more for a specific project then I will just rent what I need.

I wouldn't mind upgrading my timelapse camera to a body that uses the same batteries as the R5 and R7 but the Rebel is so good at what it does (3000 pictures when the battery grip is installed) that I have never needed to swap batteries on a shoot; plus I don't want a more expensive camera that is usually unattended for hours at a time so its a small loss if it gets stolen.

Of course production companies and TV stations are not using the cameras we discuss here, they have completely different requirements, teams of people and gear to properly rig and support their cameras, and the budgets to match.  My niche is event work and all of the little projects that don't have the budgets for that sort of thing and fortunately there's tons of options these days that makes my job a lot easier.

On 2/11/2023 at 2:54 AM, Django said:

Brazil I think is the worst. I'd advise grey market at that point. 😉 

Here in Brazil is hell regarding to cameras...you almost go gray, since only Canon, Fuji and (kinda) Sony have official sales here (yeah, even Nikon walked out).

Still no R8 in the local Canon website. But they have the R7 - using the US$ quote that would be used if I buy the camera in the US ("tourism" dollar), the camera costs here US$ 2640,00, against the US$1499 in the US. 76% increase.

Fuji have a smaller gap (was one of the reasons that I switched to them) - the XH-2s have a 33% price increase in US$.

Sony don't have a official store, but have some authorized sellers. The A7 IV is around US$ 3718 in one of these sellers, a 48% increase.

Nikon, Panasonic, Sigma, OM Digital - only gray.

Lots of people buying units from Aliexpress. There are some good sellers, but already saw some units probably refurbished...but the customs here were relaxed in the last years, and probably will get much more restricted now (already see some people taxed); and if they tax right, is a 60% to 100% increase. 

(bought the Viltrox 75mm f/1.2 for Fuji on that 50 units preorder - a think that normalyy I would never do - counting on that more restrict customs)

4 hours ago, Marcio Kabke Pinheiro said:

Here in Brazil is hell regarding to cameras...you almost go gray, since only Canon, Fuji and (kinda) Sony have official sales here (yeah, even Nikon walked out).

Still no R8 in the local Canon website. But they have the R7 - using the US$ quote that would be used if I buy the camera in the US ("tourism" dollar), the camera costs here US$ 2640,00, against the US$1499 in the US. 76% increase.

Fuji have a smaller gap (was one of the reasons that I switched to them) - the XH-2s have a 33% price increase in US$.

Sony don't have a official store, but have some authorized sellers. The A7 IV is around US$ 3718 in one of these sellers, a 48% increase.

Nikon, Panasonic, Sigma, OM Digital - only gray.

Lots of people buying units from Aliexpress. There are some good sellers, but already saw some units probably refurbished...but the customs here were relaxed in the last years, and probably will get much more restricted now (already see some people taxed); and if they tax right, is a 60% to 100% increase. 

(bought the Viltrox 75mm f/1.2 for Fuji on that 50 units preorder - a think that normalyy I would never do - counting on that more restrict customs)

That is very unfortunate, sometimes I take for granted how easy it is to walk into a retailer to buy the camera I want or how easy it is to order from an authorized retailer.

On 2/16/2023 at 4:45 PM, Marcio Kabke Pinheiro said:

Yeah I know, I just sold my R6 last month to a Brazilian who had travelled to Europe just to shop. He explained the whole import situation to me. Not limited to cameras too if I understood him correctly.

Anyways, I'm getting an FX30 for my pro video needs. a bit more expensive than R7 but a lot better video options and codecs. I actually considered the R7 for a second but lack of RF-S glass is a no go for me. Can't invest in a crop sensor with no native glass support. And with third party RF lenses banned it's even less tempting to go that route.

Might still grab an R8 for FF needs (mainly stills) as I'm still invested in Canon system although a used R6 will cost you the same and might still be a better purchase considering you get IBIS & full battery. Yes the camera overheats but only on certain long recording conditions.