Canon EOS-R8, EOS-R50 And New Lenses Announced

BTM_Pix

• Super Members

Straight from the sales materials so mileage may vary regarding the accuracy of the adjectives but here are the details.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

EOS-R8

• 24.2 mеgаріхеl full-frаmе СМОЅ ѕеnѕоr fоr bаlаnсеd dеtаіl & реrfоrmаnсе
  • Duаl Ріхеl СМОЅ АF ІІ ѕуѕtеm rесоgnіѕеѕ & trасkѕ ѕubјесtѕ wіth ѕhаrр fосuѕ
  • Ехсеllеnt lоw-lіght реrfоrmаnсе wіth а mахіmum ІЅО uр tо 102,400
  • -6.5ЕV АF ѕеnѕіtіvіtу thаt fосuѕеѕ іn lіght еquіvаlеnt tо hаlf-mооnlіght
  • 40fрѕ еlесtrоnіс ѕhооtіng & 6fрѕ wіth Еlесtrоnіс Fіrѕt Сurtаіn
  • Nеvеr mіѕѕ wіth 30fрѕ RАW burѕt mоdе & 0.5 ѕес рrе-ѕhоt
  • Аdvаnсеd НDR mоdеѕ fоr bоth ѕtіll & mоvіng ѕubјесtѕ
  • А truе hуbrіd сараblе оf оvеrѕаmрlеd 4К vіdео uр tо 60 fрѕ
  • Full НD uр tо 180р thаt іѕ реrfесt fоr ѕlоw-mоtіоn еffесtѕ
  • Саnоn Lоg3 fоr іmрrоvеd соlоur grаdіng аt роѕt-рrоduсtіоn
  • Ѕmооthеr fосuѕ-рullѕ wіth fосuѕ brеаthіng соmреnѕаtіоn
  • 2.4GНz Wі-Fі & Вluеtооth соnnесtіvіtу ѕtrеаmlіnеѕ wоrkflоwѕ
  • UVС ѕuрроrt fоr fullу flехіblе wеbсаm uѕе & ѕtrеаmіng
  • Wеаthеr-rеѕіѕtаnt dеѕіgn fоr unіntеrruрtеd ѕhооtіng
  • Соmрасt & lіghtwеіght buіld fоr еаѕу trаnѕроrtаtіоn

Body Only - £1699

with new RF 24-50mm IS STM Lens - £1899

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

EOS-R50

• Еntrу-lеvеl саmеrа wіth 24.2МР АРЅ-С ѕіzеd ѕеnѕоr
  • Соmрасt аnd lіght fоrm fасtоr wіth еrgоnоmіс grір
  • Flех thrоugh frееlу uѕіng thе 3” Vаrі-Аnglе tоuсhѕсrееn
  • DІGІС Х Іmаgе Рrосеѕѕоr fоr ѕіgnаturе Саnоn lооk
  • Duаl Ріхеl СМОЅ АF ІІ ѕуѕtеm dеlіvеrѕ ріn-ѕhаrр асtіоn
  • АF Тrасkіng іdеntіfіеѕ humаnѕ, аnіmаlѕ аnd vеhісlеѕ
  • 4К UНD 30р vіdео rесоrdіng fоr іnсrеdіblе dеtаіl
  • Мultі-funсtіоn ѕmаrt ѕhое fоr орtіоnаl ассеѕѕоrіеѕ
  • UVС ѕuрроrt fоr hіgh-quаlіtу vіdео саllѕ оr ѕtrеаmіng
  • Вluеtооth аnd Wі-Fі соnnесtіvіtу tо kеер уоu ѕhаrіng
  • АРЅ-С lеnѕ dеѕіgnеd fоr Саnоn’ѕ ЕОЅ R-ѕеrіеѕ
  • Іdеаl fоr trаvеl & fаmіlу рhоtоgrарhу оr еvеn vlоggіng
  • Рrасtісаl 29-72mm (35mm еquіvаlеnt) zооm rаngе
  • 4-ѕtор орtісаl Іmаgе Ѕtаbіlіѕеr fоr ѕurе & ѕtеаdу ѕhоtѕ
  • ЅТМ mоtоr аllоwѕ ѕmооth, ѕіlеnt & ассurаtе fосuѕіng

Body Only - £789

with RF-S 18-45mm Lens - £899

with RF-S 18-45mm and RF-S 55-210mm IS STM Lens - £1,099

with RF-S 18-45mm Lens Creator Kit - £949

Canon RF 24-50mm f4.5-6.3 IS STM Lens

£ 379

Canon RF-S 55-210mm f5-7.1 IS STM Lens

£ 479

Full details for the R8 here :

https://www.canon.co.uk/cameras/eos-r8/specifications/

Full details for the R50 here :

https://www.canon.co.uk/cameras/eos-r50/

I don't have any skin in the game but I wonder whether the R8 that give pause to those switching to the more expensive S5MkII, albeit it that the R8 lacks IBIS ?

They seem to be pitching the R-50 as the new EOS-M but, again, I suspect the lack of IBIS will be a big miss for the crowd that they are going after but the two kit lenses for it do have OIS so maybe not.

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

Wow the R8 has the same sensor and specs as the R6II including FF uncropped 4K60p in 10-bit Clog3 as well as DPAF2 with subject detect only. It even keeps the handy photo/stills switch. Only thing missing is IBIS. But for a whopping $1K less. That's quite a deal if you can forego IBIS or maybe need a B-cam for your Canon setup. Oh yeah and recording time is supposed to be 2 hours instead of unlimited which is imo a pretty ok compromise. Let's find out about overheating..

49 minutes ago, Django said:

Wow the R8 has the same sensor and specs as the R6II including FF uncropped 4K60p in 10-bit Clog3 as well as DPAF2 with subject detect only. It even keeps the handy photo/stills switch. Only thing missing is IBIS. But for a whopping $1K less. That's quite a deal if you can forego IBIS or maybe need a B-cam for your Canon setup. Oh yeah and recording time is supposed to be 2 hours instead of unlimited which is imo a pretty ok compromise. Let's find out about overheating..

I personally dont mind the lack of IBIS because on the UW the IBIS wobble is way too noticeable, and majority of RF lens have IS, I for one might be switching the R7 to this lol, much better 4K60P quality than my R5/R7 😂

And 4K60P is limited to 30min vs unlimited on R6II/R7/R10 (4K30 on R8 is unlimited) , though for long session I only use 4K25P/30P anyway.

Yeah some people will probably prefer the absence of IBIS. Lok's channel shows some pretty convincing handheld Vlog footage with lens IS and EIS. No wobble. He also does an overheating test in his oven (!) and the R8 never overheated after an hour so that's also pretty convincing. I was also worried about battery life with the smaller battery but his test shows an hour of recording time in 4K25p which isn't too bad I guess.. plus it has USB-C charging for longer tripod use. Overall this might be the best value FF camera..

Well...

1 hour ago, Django said:

Wow the R8 has the same sensor and specs as the R6II including FF uncropped 4K60p in 10-bit Clog3 as well as DPAF2 with subject detect only. It even keeps the handy photo/stills switch. Only thing missing is IBIS. But for a whopping $1K less. (...)

R8 misses out on 6K RAW video over HDMI of the R6 II.

Micro HDMI, no IBIS. No external RAW as Emanuel just stated. The latter via micro HDMI would not have been so great to deal with anyway.

4K60p FF vs Lumix S5 II S35 4K60 is great to have, though might be too little for Canon due to lack of IBIS, micro HDMI and potential overheating at 4K60p.

Canon stating, 4K60 can be limited by hot operating temperatures, as german test site slashcam is citing.

Best value for my uses would be a S5 II. But not interested in new purchases. If I keep my S1, that will still be plenty in regards of a hybrid cam.

12 minutes ago, PannySVHS said:

Micro HDMI, no IBIS. No external RAW as Emanuel just stated. The latter via micro HDMI would not have been so great to deal with anyway.

4K60p FF vs Lumix S5 II S35 4K60 is great to have, though might be too little for Canon due to lack of IBIS, micro HDMI and potential overheating at 4K60p.

Canon stating, 4K60 can be limited by hot operating temperatures, as german test site slashcam is citing.

Best value for my uses would be a S5 II. But not interested in new purchases. If I keep my S1, that will still be plenty in regards of a hybrid cam.

There are cost saving measures for sure and of course FF 4K60p will surely overheat under long shooting.

But at least is has FF4K60p which neither S5II or even A7IV offer. DPAF2 will also be way superior to S5II AF.

Another strong benefit is the fairly low RS (15.2ms in FF / 9.5ms in S35).

So for $1500 its imo a great offering. Competition is healthy for us consumers no matter what system you're on.

47 minutes ago, Django said:

There are cost saving measures for sure and of course FF 4K60p will surely overheat under long shooting.

But at least is has FF4K60p which neither S5II or even A7IV offer. DPAF2 will also be way superior to S5II AF.

Another strong benefit is the fairly low RS (15.2ms in FF / 9.5ms in S35).

So for $1500 its imo a great offering. Competition is healthy for us consumers no matter what system you're on.

That is exactly the camera I need to pair with the R7! The R6mkII is still a dissappointing 3.200€..and I remind you I am not a camera man (I do other jobs in the industry), so I do not want to spend much for something that is not bringing that much money.

I want to see more overheating tests, but I believe I can get by, but the worst bummer is the small battery, because it is small, and because it is different..

I was considering the Panasonic with the lenses (it is 250€ less than the R6mkII body!), but now it makes perfect sense to go with RF!

Thanks Canon for bringing back the flame..

Seems like a great camera for me.

Good codec with overall good video functionality, good skintones, okay rolling shutter, small formfactor, small kitlens, EF Lenses can be adaptet, I can use  my APSC Lenses in APSC mode, "internal ND" Filter possible( in the RF-EF Adapter),...

If i would only have to shoot video i would definetely go with Panasonic ( or Fuji), but this seems like a camera that you also actually take with you and not leave in the hotel room when you're on holidays.

This camera illustrates the significant difference between Canon and everyone else. Even when putting out a compelling package, and for some folks this is a compelling package, they can't help themselves from holding back something significant like IBIS. Meanwhile, others are putting everything they can into even their entry level options. To me this feels like a stop gap more than anything. It's not compelling enough for most serious users, but might provide an upgrade path for RP or R users who might be eying the exit as other companies offer better value and those cameras continue to become long in the tooth.

• Administrators

I could never dumb myself down to an Rp style body again, especially not for $1700 when stuff like X-H2 or S5 II exists.

The ergonomics are like a compact camera from 20 years ago.

The devil is in the detail when it comes to what they have taken out. Like aperture priority mode in video mode and stuff like that.

Look at how much Panasonic are packing into the S5 II by comparison.

Would much rather fish for a lightly used "as-new" S5 II on eBay for same price as a new R8!

• Administrators

It exists mainly as an upgrade path into more expensive lenses for EOS R7 APS-C users.

So a full frame R7 basically.

You really have to want to invest in the RF full frame lenses to make the most of it. Therefore the price of £1699 is a bit of a misnomer.

Pretty much any 4K FF camera from last 5 years currently over £1000 on eBay would be better choice for manual focus glass... Pana S1, S5, Nikon Z6, Sony A7 III, A7C, Sigma Fp, etc.

It's fine, it is going to sell myriads of those. With C log you can have a pretty good set with whatever RF camera.. for us with EF glass and the adapters is a great option. I never use IBIS anyway. This is not the Canon of 2016, it is a much better version of a company! Not the best, but still they are delivering in some aspects.

Panasonic is desperate, OM is selling more cameras than them in Japan. Almost everyone is selling more cameras than them!

11 minutes ago, Andrew Reid said:

Pretty much any 4K FF camera from last 5 years currently over £1000 on eBay would be better choice for manual focus glass... Pana S1, S5, Nikon Z6, Sony A7 III, A7C, Sigma Fp, etc.

S5 bodies are going for absolute bargains right now. I kinda wish I'd waited a few months before buying my second one even though I got a pretty good deal on it!

• Administrators

Sales have never really been a very good indicator of quality. When GH2 was out everyone was buying a DSLR or 70D for video instead.

Fact is RF lenses are very shit indeed. Massively overpriced, massive, huge, enormous, and build quality varies from office inkjet cartridge to office photocopier machine if you're lucky.

Give me Sigma L-mount or E-mount lenses over RF any day!

1 hour ago, Kisaha said:

Is the 4K/50 uncropped?

Yes FF oversampled 4K60p uncropped. 15ms RS. DPAF2. 

Those specs are higher than anything the competition offers. 

You have to step up to 4000€ A7SIII for uncropped 4K60p (and its not oversampled). 

No IBIS and lightweight body could be an advantage to some shooters.

By the way, I love how R8's body gets slammed for not being "ergonomic" yet the Sigma FP gets a pass. Double standards.