GH4 new 4K photo mode firmware in anamorphic 1.75x quick test

Sebastien Farges

GH4 new 4K photo mode firmware in anamorphic 1.75x quick test

Here is a quick test with the new firmware V2 "photo mode" 4K in 16:9, 3:2 and 4:3
Sorry I forget the 1:1, anyway for my 1.75x anamorphic... :P

GH4 4K photo mode
baby Berthiot Hypergonar 1.75x lens
Qioptiq LINOS MeVis-C C-mount 35mm f1.6 @ f1.6 with the diopters and f4 for the others shot
SLR Magic 1.3x + 0.33x diopters
Vcine mode with EOSHD setting
Premiere Lumetri 60's color correction + levels adjustments

Video stills (video available later)

15414615082_c3f4a607cd_k.jpg

15228408427_2607cacddb_k.jpg

15228262010_6daf53de63_k.jpg

15414945365_860ec09f42_k.jpg

15228184119_a86fa8904d_k.jpg

15414934065_faa2390182_k.jpg

15391880966_a33031ecb0_k.jpg

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

Looks bloody marvellous. Can't wait to see the video. Great work Seb. Thanks for posting.

If this baby goes raw, too, then the GH4 is all I'm going to need.

I'd go for a bigger sensor in the next one instead of raw. Something like Aps-c, that would make this camera almost perfect. Don't u think?  

It's very easy to spot if you know what to look for: look at the bokeh (background blur). Instead of circles the highlights form ovals. But you can even see it in the general shape of the blur, it gives a very different look. It is kind of 'stretched', imo it gives a painting like look to a picture. To me this is much more important than the anamorphic flares.

The shot with the scooter doesn't look very anamorphic (except for the aspect ratio) - because everything is in focus and also it's been shot with a 1.33x anamorphic, that doesn't give such a pronounced effect as the 1.75x or 2x anamorphics.

I've been testing the 4:3 mode and it works really nice.  The original 4K files are MOV and around 80mbits average, but the new Photo mode is MP4 and 95mbits average.  However I'm wondering if anyone has noticed any changes in the files?  Does it matter that it's MP4?  So far detail looks really nice.  

Also need advice on shooting at 1:1 mode.  It's just square, and although there's lots of resolution and detail, I just don't know how best to crop it.  There's a ton of headroom for moving the frame around, but I'm not sure if it's the best way to shoot for 1:2.40 or 1.266.  Maybe 1:2.21?  

--------

Edit: I'm shooting with 2x Kowa, however advice on 1.5x Iscorama is also appreciated too.  Thanks!

@nib187 There is a clear difference between the stock MP4 and MOV modes.  I believe the MP4 modes are limited to 50mbits where the MOV modes are 100mbits.  The new PHOTO 4K mode uses MP4 but it uses a high bitrate, average 95mbits.  So is it the same codec as the stock MOV codec?  I believe it is, just wondering why they made it MP4 instead of MOV, even though there's no hit on performance.

Each photo mode crops the sensor.  It's based off the multi-aspect ratios from the photo modes.  You can check in the manual for the photo modes used.  So the full sensor is 3:2 I believe, since it takes up the entire screen.  16:9, 4:3, 1:1 all crop the sensor in some ways and are displayed on the LCD with grey areas on the sides/top & bottom.  I hope this helps.

This is a short explanation about the Photo modes by Luke Neumann:

BTW - anyone like what he's doing with 1:1 mode to 16:9?  I just don't like the 16:9 2x anamorphic look for some reason.  Or maybe he just shot it different?  I'm always used to 2.35 or 2.66 anamorphic look.

Each photo mode crops the sensor.  It's based off the multi-aspect ratios from the photo modes.  You can check in the manual for the photo modes used.  So the full sensor is 3:2 I believe, since it takes up the entire screen.  16:9, 4:3, 1:1 all crop the sensor in some ways and are displayed on the LCD with grey areas on the sides/top & bottom.  I hope this helps.

They all crop the sensor (inc. 3:2) but not because of the shape/sensor proportions, it's because the number of pixels needed to make the 4k is way less than the sensor has available. So again, if you take a stills picture it has a way greater field of view than any of the 4k video stills options.