Interview with Panasonic - raw HDMI output may be coming to future GH4 firmware plus anamorphic aspect ratios in firmware V2.0

Andrew Reid

• Administrators
Panasonic GH4 firmware update version 2.0 and 4K Photo Mode

New firmware for the Panasonic adds higher vertical resolutions in various aspect ratios, making further use of the camera's 4K video ability.

For photographers an in-camera workflow to extract high resolution stills from "4K Photo Mode" is now available. For 4K video, resolution increases from 2160 lines in 16:9 for standard 4K to 2336 lines in 3:2, 2496 lines in 4:3 and an enormous 2880 lines in 1:1. By comparison the Red Dragon in 6K records up to 3160 lines vertically (2:1 aspect ratio). An anamorphic lens is needed to take advantage of the resolution gain in squarer aspect ratios such as 4:3 and 1:1. As a huge advocate of anamorphic at EOSHD, I'll be testing this out very shortly with my collection (below). I'm expecting the results to be stunning.

I caught up with Panasonic recently to discuss the firmware update and more...

Read the full article here

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

Wow, Panasonic really wants my money!!! It's so positive not only from a features/price ratio, but from the fact that they are finally listening what people wants!!!!!!!  :P  :lol:  :D  ;)

I had the LX100 in my radar, but this could change everything!!!

Andrew,

Good interview.  Even more impressive than the news that they might implement 4:3 / 24p is the fact that Panasonic is and has been listening to their customers.  Much better than some well-known OEMs who just hang out in their cathedral-like hidey hole and pretend that the photo market is enough.

eris

(Dusts off his 2:1 anamorphics)

Very interesting. The announcement was so photos oriented that I missed the anamorphic implications. Almost enough to make me want to deal with the hassle...almost. ;-)

I really, really, (really) hope that Panasonic listens in regards to higher quality color output. Be that RAW, or even uncompressed 4:2:2 in a true log format. It's wonderful how the GH4 can record light weight 4K images in camera to SD, but it would be equally wonderful to have the option to record higher quality to an external recorder when warranted.

This was so informative.  Obviously you've done your homework Andrew.   I cannot wait to see some new anamorphic shooting as a result of this!  It's such a beautiful look. 

Panasonic has been great about listening to it's users.  They might be up there with the very best, especially when it comes to it's cameras.   

It would be a nice addition for Panasonic to implement a Cinemascope aspect ratio right in camera using as much of the width of the sensor as possible. It is nice to have 2880 vertical resolution for anamorphic but the horizontal resolution suffers. (Not to deny the value of the special look of anamorphic lenses)

The sensor is 4608 pixels wide. 4608 / 2.35 is just over 1960. 4608 x 1960 is a few more pixels than 3840 x 2160 (9,031,680 versus 8,294,400) and just a bit larger than 4096x2160 (8,847,360 total pixels). 

One would assume that they could do 4608 x 1960 at 24 fps at least. I would love to have that frame width!

Or they could do 4512 x 1920 (8,663,040) or stick to their current pixel count at 4414 × 1878 (8,289,492) for 30 fps.

David

Andrew, this is great news! 

You know, you should start a fundraiser so we can gift Panasonic for how they look out for the independent film-maker at this price point. I think if every GH4 owner would give a bit ($20 or less) we could give them a nice big check to so them our appreciation. :) 

So set it up, and I'll be the first to donate! 

• Administrators

It would be a nice addition for Panasonic to implement a Cinemascope aspect ratio right in camera using as much of the width of the sensor as possible. It is nice to have 2880 vertical resolution for anamorphic but the horizontal resolution suffers. (Not to deny the value of the special look of anamorphic lenses)

The sensor is 4608 pixels wide. 4608 / 2.35 is just over 1960. 4608 x 1960 is a few more pixels than 3840 x 2160 (9,031,680 versus 8,294,400) and just a bit larger than 4096x2160 (8,847,360 total pixels). 

One would assume that they could do 4608 x 1960 at 24 fps at least. I would love to have that frame width!

Or they could do 4512 x 1920 (8,663,040) or stick to their current pixel count at 4414 × 1878 (8,289,492) for 30 fps.

David

Excellent suggestion!

• Administrators

Andrew, this is great news! 

You know, you should start a fundraiser so we can gift Panasonic for how they look out for the independent film-maker at this price point. I think if every GH4 owner would give a bit ($20 or less) we could give them a nice big check to so them our appreciation. :)

So set it up, and I'll be the first to donate! 

Panasonic understand indie filmmaking better than any other manufacturer and with this, they're showing some real cinema DNA in their products. Great gift for us and can't wait to see what happens next.

• Administrators

Not implementing 24p is pretty dumb and kinda defeats the purpose. Hopefully they change that for US folks.

It made sense as the feature is at the moment *really* targeted at photographers.

Photographers need 30p and 25p to avoid strobing with light sources at shutter speeds other than 180 degrees.

If you shoot at 1/200 and 24p under certain kinds of 60hz lights instead of at 30p, your stills aren't going to come out nicely.

Panasonic in the US are pushing for the feature to made of use to filmmakers with 24p.

For me it is still of use to us, just select 25p for the film look and make sure you set the right GH4 syncro scan rate depending on your lights.

With the success of the the GH4 all over the world as Panasonic says especially in Europe can y'all imagine how good the next GH camera will be. Good job Panasonic for at least listening to consumers and trying to give us what we want.

And what about next APS-C Panasonic mirroles camera, or full frame? ;)
But what mount?