Best 1080p camera for under 1000$

Daniel Acuña

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
Guest fe4a3f5e8381673ce80017d29a8375f1

I'm wondering, if you get a d5300 and attach a prores recorder to it, will the result be just as good as the bmpcc?

BTW Matt, did you not check my d5300 vs GX7 video? I compared both cameras at iso 3200

D5300 doesn't output 10bit so no. Gh4 is the only hybrid I know of that outputs 10bit to HDMI.

Yes I did see your clips and the d5300 was indeed noisier in the shadows, but i'dd have to see more and know the variables. It just doesn't tally with what I know about the two cameras. But I'm open minded as I've never owned a gx7

Panasonic G6, Sony A6000 or Panasonic GH3.

G6 has no HDMI out, but delivers better video than the A6000.  Very good battery life also.

GH3 is the most expensive camera but is built better.

I have both the G6 and A6000.  For stills I prefer the A6000 (it replaced my Canon DSLR's), for video the G6 is my favourite.

The good thing about the G6 is that it's dirt cheap, allowing you to get a couple of extra batteries, Metabones Speedbooster (or clone) and a few Canon FD lenses all within your budget.

• 3 weeks later...

Hi I would like to ask one more question, is this a good moment to buy a camera or are there some rumors about a new "cheap" camera with great video coming down the line? Because I don't want to be the guy who buys a camera and one month later the savior of cameras comes out...

PS : What lens would you recommend for the a6000 under 500$ (prime or zoom)

Guest fe4a3f5e8381673ce80017d29a8375f1

... is this a good moment to buy a camera or are there some rumors about a new "cheap" camera with great video coming down the line? Because I don't want to be the guy who buys a camera and one month later the savior of cameras comes out...

There is ALWAYS a better, cheaper camera coming soon. Every person who buys a camera is "that guy."

If budget is low, I'd go for as cheap camera as possible and invest the rest in the lenses, filters, audio equipment and other gear you might need.

So, something like Nikon D5200/D5300, Sony A5100 or Panasonic G6.

When it comes to Sony, I've learnt to hate that bad AVCHD codec... If you film almost anything else except a shallow depth of field shot, or a shot with motion in it - the codec tends to break apart and make your footage look like crap. And usually you don't see how bad it is until you view it on the computer later. So, for a Sony camera, go with one where you can get the new XAVC-S codec.

Personally I've bought mainly used prime lenses (Nikon AI-S lenses) from online auctions. I've saved a lot of money buying the lenses like that - and if I'd sell some of those prime lenses, I'd get roughly the same sale price again. (Keep in mind that you might need to spend money on an adapter for your specific lens mount, depending on lenses you get and the camera mount your camera has)

I really don't know what to buy  :(

The only image I really like from a camera is the one from the bmpcc, but it's a bit out of my price range as I would need a speedbooster and maybe some Nikon AI-S lenses, and also to think of a battery solution...

I would jump eyes closed on the sony a6000 if it had the new XAVC-S codec. I really like the fact of having an APS-C sensor, which makes me go more towards this camera instead of a panasonic one.

But then again this is the real world, I can't have all I want so I'll have to deal with it...

PS : What lens would you recommend for the a6000 under 500$ (prime or zoom)

The SE35 1.8 is fast, nice rendering, plus if you're shooting photos as well as video it's nice to have OSS and AF. For me the jury is still out as to how useful the OSS and AF is for video. The OSS seems to produce an occasional warping effect which I don't see on Panasonic's stabilised lenses. 

If you're happy to go completely manual, you can't go wrong with some second hand Nikkor Ai-S lenses and an adaptor. I love my 24 2.8.

If you like the BMPCC then go for it - you really don't have to spend loads of money to kit it out straight away, you can add stuff as & when you need them/can afford them.

Used lenses are the way to go to save money - Nikon ai-s, Canon FD, Russian M42 lenses are great.

As far as Speedboosters go, the RJ ones are very good (but will only get you to MFT sensor size) & cheap - it goes without saying that the Metabones Nikon BMPCC SpeedBooster is a lot cheaper than the EF version & they'll get you to about APS-C.

Battery life isn't that great, but there are enough cheap options out there to make it a non-issue really.

It might be worth going away & doing your sums for kitting out a few different cameras.

Just remember that there's no right or wrong choice, there's only the choice that is right for you at this moment in time - so if money is the deciding factor in your choice then spend it on things that you can take with you when/if you upgrade camera body.

Check out Kendy Ty on vimeo - he started off using a Canon T2i, a Nikon 30mm lens & natural light and produced some of the most inspiring stuff i've seen done on a DSLR!

vimeo.com/kendyty

I would jump eyes closed on the sony a6000 if it had the new XAVC-S codec. I really like the fact of having an APS-C sensor, which makes me go more towards this camera instead of a panasonic one.

Well, the obvious answer for you then is to get the Sony A5100. 

Though personally for a newbie I'd recommend they get the Panasonic G6 as their first camera (if they have the budget for it, otherwise a Panasonic GH1 or Sony NEX-5N is the way to go). 

I wouldn't worry about the sensor size of APS-C vs m4/3, you often have to stop down anyway to get enough usable DoF, so that cancels out any benefit there of having APS-C. Plus, once you use a cheap RJ Lens Turbo (it is great, I use one!) on your m4/3 camera, you've got Super 35mm / APS-C FoV now.