Best 1080p camera for under 1000$

Daniel Acuña

Hi I would like to know what are the options out there in that price range (I don't really mind paying a little bit more if it is worth it) I am open to all manufacturers I don't have a special preference.

What would you recommend? And why? 

I would mostly use it for short films.

The things I care the most are dynamic range and color space, also having a (APS-C) sensor would be great even though I don't really mind having a MFT sensor but something smaller than that might be problematic.

Thank you for your answers :)

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

Do you have lenses already? If yes, what do you have? If not, is there a separate budget for them?

Just for the camera, sub $1000, I'd suggest Sony A6000 or the BlackMagic Pocket Cinema Camera (shame the price drop is over though). Two completely different camera's. You'll have to see what suits your use.

The Sony A6000 is easy to use and versatile (aps-c-sensor, can use speed booster,practically every lens fits). Cheap and I don't think there are other aps-c-cameras with better quality out of the box.

The BlackMagic will give you raw and great quality (not in low light though) but the small sensor needs specific glass (and/or speed booster) and it way less practical in use (huge files, ergonomics/battery life suck).

In terms of mFT and apsc your two best choices I think are the Panasonic gx7 and Nikon d5300. The Nikon has possibly better dynamic range and colours but the gx7 is sharper, handles a lot better and is also surprisingly better at high isos.

The thing is you also have to consider lenses. One of the reasons I went from Nikon to Panasonic actually was because I wanted a 35mmm equivalent lens at a reasonable price.

You might want to consider the soon to be released Panasonic lx100 which has a really nice lens fixed to it, all for just $899.

I would not recommend the a6000. The iq is simply not as good as either of the other two.

Julian

Do you have lenses already? If yes, what do you have? If not, is there a separate budget for them?

Just for the camera, sub $1000, I'd suggest Sony A6000 or the BlackMagic Pocket Cinema Camera (shame the price drop is over though). Two completely different camera's. You'll have to see what suits your use.

The Sony A6000 is easy to use and versatile (aps-c-sensor, can use speed booster,practically every lens fits). Cheap and I don't think there are other aps-c-cameras with better quality out of the box.

The BlackMagic will give you raw and great quality (not in low light though) but the small sensor needs specific glass (and/or speed booster) and it way less practical in use (huge files, ergonomics/battery life suck).

I don't have any lens right now, and yes there is a separate budget for them.

Thank you for your answers, well I am going to have a deeper look on the A6000 (I hope that sony is going to implement xavc-s) and the GX7, I also want to see what the lx100 can deliver.

I just saw the video from the Nikon D750, and the colors look so lovely, too bad it's way out my price range. I was really hoping to see more exciting stuff at Photokina specially from Canon...

In terms of mFT and apsc your two best choices I think are the Panasonic gx7 and Nikon d5300. The Nikon has possibly better dynamic range and colours but the gx7 is sharper, handles a lot better and is also surprisingly better at high isos.

The thing is you also have to consider lenses. One of the reasons I went from Nikon to Panasonic actually was because I wanted a 35mmm equivalent lens at a reasonable price.

You might want to consider the soon to be released Panasonic lx100 which has a really nice lens fixed to it, all for just $899.

I would not recommend the a6000. The iq is simply not as good as either of the other two.

Thank you for answers.

Consider a GH3. It's a really good little camera. Get a Speedbooster if you want the APS-C look. 

Alternatively, if you are experienced, a BMPCC is a solid option. Good color science and dynamic range in a tiny package. 

Either way, you need to work out your costs for lenses, batteries and rigging. 

If you are really on a tight budget, get a Canon T3i (APS-C!) and a 35mm lens -- a powerful, but cheap, little movie-making combo.

Guest Ebrahim Saadawi

Best video image under 1000$: Nikon D5300. It's a gorgeous image with lovely silky smooth colours and wide dynamic range. There are other cameras out there with better resolution if that's your thing, and there are cameras with higher spec-sheets, but the D5300 delivers the best overal image, I would say even up to 2000$.

Best image is Blackmagic Pocket...... Nothing coming out of a Nikon or Panasonic can even compare to the Dynamic Range + Codec which basically gives you a raw negative for you to make your footage look anyway you choose.

Downside of Blackmagic is no 60fps and obviously lack of photography.

Personally I think the perfect balance out of a Still/Video camera now is the Sony A7s. Very good dynamic range and FF/APS-C mode as well.

Panasonic GH3/GH4 have great 60fps but their color science requires a lot of grading as the image us really too yellow out of the camera, I think Canon Dslr's have the best colors coming right from the camera.

I would look at the A6000, the A5100 (if you don't need a EVF) the LX100 and some of the M4/3 cameras.

While I like the GX7 and it has lots of features (though some are half done to me), I don't like the grip and no mic input and maximum ISO is 3200 for video.     If you can live with its limitations the video is quite nice.      I prefer my A7 for video over my GX7 just because of all the video features and less restrictions and the a6000 seems to be slightly better video than the A7 (normal) with only a few more restrictions. 

The A6000 does not have a normal mic input either but can at least take one via a hotshoe adapter and can go higher than ISO 3200 if needed.

Any reason people are suggestiong LX100 instead of FZ1000? For the same price you get audio in, flip screen and 5 way IBIS.. looking forward to a review!

LX100 has stabilization too.

1. LX100 has bigger sensor (and makes smaller crop for 4K than FZ1000) and faster lens (max f1.7 vs f2.8) which means:

- significantly better low light performance (we are talking about ability to shoot in dim scene, not dark)

- ability to get some shallow DoF in wide shots

2. LX100 can go significantly wider in 4K: about 26mm vs 37mm of FZ1000 (http://www.eoshd.com/2014/06/4k-899-panasonic-fz1000-beware-quirks).

3. LX100 is much smaller, 2x lighter (http://***URL removed***/products/compare/side-by-side?products=panasonic_dmclx100&products=panasonic_dmcfz1000)

BTW I would not base your camera decision on whether or not it has a mic input. If you want good sound, you always want the mic to be as close to the actors or subjects as possible, and you cant do that if the mic is attached to your camera. A mic on camera is only good for if you're say at a comic convention and getting interviews of randomers.

Thats a bit of a generalisation.. Shooting one man band documentary and using a mic on top gives much better quality natural sound in broll.. The LX100 is out for me for that reason but loving the look fo the FZ1000

BTW I would not base your camera decision on whether or not it has a mic input. If you want good sound, you always want the mic to be as close to the actors or subjects as possible, and you cant do that if the mic is attached to your camera. A mic on camera is only good for if you're say at a comic convention and getting interviews of randomers.

Guest fe4a3f5e8381673ce80017d29a8375f1

The answer is in the question. If dynamic range and colour space is your priority and you are shooting fiction, there is only one camera at the 1000 dollar mark that stands out. The bmpcc. If you want a larger than s16mm sensor then you have to compromise on the other stuff. The descision comes down to wide lens choices really.

You can get lovely colours and very good dynamic range from the d5300. Of the 8bit cameras around 1000 dollars that's the one I'd choose to shoot fiction with. I haven't seen any conclusive evidence the gx7 is superior in low light - not that that matters too much for fiction -

The answer is in the question. If dynamic range and colour space is your priority and you are shooting fiction, there is only one camera at the 1000 dollar mark that stands out. The bmpcc. If you want a larger than s16mm sensor then you have to compromise on the other stuff. The descision comes down to wide lens choices really.

You can get lovely colours and very good dynamic range from the d5300. Of the 8bit cameras around 1000 dollars that's the one I'd choose to shoot fiction with. I haven't seen any conclusive evidence the gx7 is superior in low light - not that that matters too much for fiction -

Yes, I am considering buying the bmpcc with canon EF to bmpcc active Metabones Speed Booster to get as close as I can to APS-C, even if I have to pay more. So far the image out of the bmpcc is the one I like the most.

Would you know if Black Magic are preparing a new pocket cinema camera? Are there any rumors?

Thanks.

Guest fe4a3f5e8381673ce80017d29a8375f1

Yes, I am considering buying the bmpcc with canon EF to bmpcc active Metabones Speed Booster to get as close as I can to APS-C, even if I have to pay more. So far the image out of the bmpcc is the one I like the most.

Would you know if Black Magic are preparing a new pocket cinema camera? Are there any rumors?

Thanks.

From what grant petty has said recently it seems very likely there is no bmpcc2 on the immediate horizon. They are putting their resources into their higher end stuff. That's why they had the summer sale - to clear their production line.

The bmpcc with EF speed booster would be a superb combo for fiction shorts. If you want the speed booster to be an investment,consider buying the gh4 version. You'll have a narrower fov but you can use it on any mft mount camera.