Nikon D750 review - initial thoughts and real-world footage - ladies and gentleman we have a contender!

Andrew Reid

I have access to this for the next 48 hours. Let me know if you need certain things tested. I will do me best. (Note: Can't compare with other cameras unfortunately)

I would be very thankful if you could provide some original files with flat profile for download.

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

Yes it would be nice to get some .mov file. What I would really like is to get some shots at best possible conditions to see the peak of the camera. A 10 second clip at 50 or 100 Iso at 24 fps with enough DOF to be able to judge sharpness (must not necessarily be very wide landscape shot which will strain codec). The shot must be a bit static so that it does not strain the codec who will otherwise have to blur the image to maintain bitrate if it is moving too much. This for me would be primary shot to see what the camera can do at its best.

Then the rest like higher ISO shots and 60 fps one would be very nice. I am asking for more technical shots like this because we know more or less how nice Nikon camera colours are. I would have like one in contrasty condition to have an idea about DR, but without comparison to other camera or backlit chart it would be impossible to get any result unless you can measure the DR of the scene.

First of all, it might be too late for this camera to make any waves, it offers a good 1080p image, big deal, everyone is talking about 4k and proffesionals are one step away from purchasing a capable body for that, why invest in nikon.

Now the big question, is this thing suitable for shooting video as it is ? i don't have it to test it so i have to ask, does it feature something to evaluate exposure in movie mode/live view ? does it have peaking ? if  you don't have these 2 simple things then it's not a camera for shooting proffesional video.

First of all, it might be too late for this camera to make any waves, it offers a good 1080p image, big deal, everyone is talking about 4k and proffesionals are one step away from purchasing a capable body for that, why invest in nikon.

Now the big question, is this thing suitable for shooting video as it is ? i don't have it to test it so i have to ask, does it feature something to evaluate exposure in movie mode/live view ? does it have peaking ? if  you don't have these 2 simple things then it's not a camera for shooting proffesional video.

It does show limited ambition, but the pool of competing full frame cameras is still quite small, (if you prefer full frame). None do 4K out the box. Sony only have really clean HD on the more expensive A7S. Canon FF video looks less than completely sharp at 1080p, certainly at 60p.  This  also makes an excellent stills/video hybrid especially if you already have Nikon glass.

If you are happy with crop frame, or satisfied with SpeedBooster type adaptors, then the field certainly opens right up.

Here's a video that was shot with a D750: 

Settings used for the video: 

- internal recording

- all shots taken with the Nikon 70-200 f/2.8

- all shots taken at around f/4, 1/50s shutter speed and ISO between 200 and 800

- the Nikon Standard picture profile was used

- no sharpening applied in post

I did not shoot this video but thought it might be interesting to share the video and the settings. 

I will never understand testing a camera and putting it on youtube. Those photography site are always stupid and Nikon should at least try to talk more to the video bloggers and website. I think the last philip bloom bias experience when he tested the d4-d800-5d3 in a crowded bar left a very bad taste.

Not as impressed as I would have liked consider the price tag, thought it is aimed at stills photographers.

Sidebar:  anyone know why almost all HD videos on youtube and especially vimeo look like 480p on my 27" iMac that i just bought even when at 1440p?

I find that if I open Vimeo videos but don't watch them until later (e.g. open a video in one tab but then browse els were on another tab) they don't play back at full resolution and look very compressed. If a Vimeo video seems very low quality, try refreshing the page and see if it that fixes it. It always does for me (I use a 27" iMac too)

Not as impressed as I would have liked consider the price tag, thought it is aimed at stills photographers.

Sidebar:  anyone know why almost all HD videos on youtube and especially vimeo look like 480p on my 27" iMac that i just bought even when at 1440p?

That's really weird. I'm now having the same problem - ALL Vimeo videos are playing really low res with unwatchable levels of macro blocking.

Guest Ebrahim Saadawi

Yup the A7s footage seems to capture the most amount of both highlights and shadows to any other camera at this level. Anyome done tests vs others?