Nikon D750 review - initial thoughts and real-world footage - ladies and gentleman we have a contender!

Andrew Reid

I think they completely messed up the d750 test. After I read all about the video being sharp on the D750 and someone posting that chart, I was a bit inquisitive. When I think you translate the article it is said that they took their chart with them and took the test on the show with on the displayed D750 !!!!!!!!!! I think it was more a case of being first and getting the scoop (I don't know if D750 warrants that example) that good methodology.

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

The example video in the first page is soft too. I cant see nothing sharp. Maybe it is the shallow DOF or out of focus thing but I think the sensor is just soft. I cant see no texture in materials. Moire is well controlled if there are no texture to produce moire. It was the same thing with Canon 5 D mk3.

Not sure I want over-sharp anyway. My BMPCC isn't super sharp and looks great. Very pleasing to the eye. Maybe if I were producing a show for Bravo or something.

Is 4k downsampled to fullhd oversharp? I think that should be the goal for brand new expensive cameras. GH4, Sony RX10 or Canon C100 fullhd are sharp straight from camera. Not as good as 4k->2k but still good.

As you were leading to, wide open is soft. The 810 video that is out "Every Moment Counts" didn't appear super soft to me, so I don't think it is far off to believe the 750 should be fine. I'm looking forward to seeing more. Pretty stoked from what I've seen.

I agree the 810 film showed as much detail as pretty much any other HD footage I have seen. Need to see some deep focus shots of detailed subjects to see if the 750 is as good. But even more impressive (especially if using the internal codec) the 810 footage seemed to be 60p, without compromising detail and cleanness.

As you were leading to, wide open is soft. The 810 video that is out "Every Moment Counts" didn't appear super soft to me, so I don't think it is far off to believe the 750 should be fine. I'm looking forward to seeing more. Pretty stoked from what I've seen.

I watched that video and it is indeed sharp and impressive.

I am new to the d750. When shooting action video, what is the best way to get focus? I've seen reference to "1:1 focus assist" but haven't been able to find out how to enact it. I am able to zoom in/out using the two buttons, but is there a more direct way to zoom to 1:1 for focus, then release it when in live view video mode?

So far I am quite impressed with the usability of video mode compared to my soon to be sold d600.

• Administrators

I am new to the d750. When shooting action video, what is the best way to get focus? I've seen reference to "1:1 focus assist" but haven't been able to find out how to enact it. I am able to zoom in/out using the two buttons, but is there a more direct way to zoom to 1:1 for focus, then release it when in live view video mode?

So far I am quite impressed with the usability of video mode compared to my soon to be sold d600.

Go into the menus, dig deep and you have option of assigning 1:1 focus assist, or two other magnification levels to the OK button.

The magnified assists here are better quality than the ones you get from a single tap of the + button but the frame rate is a bit choppier.

Also you can't use any of them during recording, which is bloody stupid.

But they still wouldn't always no what to focus on.

That's the reason you have a smartphone while shooting. There are thousands of ways this could be done and a good software would let you progran it in an easy way (control points, instant feedback,etc...)

Andrew

Do you think that you could update this list when you have time? It's a bit outdated now, but was useful information.

List of camera rankings for video quality

• Alexa
  • Sony F65
  • Red Dragon
  • Sony F55
  • Canon 1D C and C500 (in 4K)
  • 5D Mark III (Magic Lantern Raw Video)
  • Blackmagic cameras
  • Canon C300 / C100 with ext. recorder
  • Panasonic GH3 / GM1 / GH2
  • 5D Mark III (Stock ALL-I 1080p codec)
  • Nikon D5300