XAVC S import to FCPX

DDagg

I have just downloaded Sony's XAVC/XD CAM Plug in and I still can't import XAVC footage into FCPX. I am using the latest edition of FCPX(10.1.3) and Apple's Mavericks operating system. Also, my Mac has been updated with the ProApps Codecs version 1.0.5. 

Thought that I had done everything right. Guess Not! I would love it if someone could point me in the right direction here. Should I buy a Ninja Star and go straight to Pro Res and forget about all the conversion stuff. It seems to me that the more we convert things we lose quality.

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

I have just downloaded Sony's XAVC/XD CAM Plug in and I still can't import XAVC footage into FCPX. I am using the latest edition of FCPX(10.1.3) and Apple's Mavericks operating system. Also, my Mac has been updated with the ProApps Codecs version 1.0.5. 

Thought that I had done everything right. Guess Not! I would love it if someone could point me in the right direction here. Should I buy a Ninja Star and go straight to Pro Res and forget about all the conversion stuff. It seems to me that the more we convert things we lose quality.

Just out of curiosity, as I haven't been playing with XAVC files yet, do you happen to have Aperture installed in your machine? If yes, what happens if you try importing those video clips into Aperture? Do you see them popping in as thumbnails, as it happens with regular AVCHD clips, or do you get some unknown file error or something? 

I know this is not likely to be too helpful, but like said, just curious about how the OS itself handles that format, if at all. I know nothing about Sony's own plugin, or how it works but I'm pretty sure that native XAVC support will come into FCPX/OS X, eventually. Hopefully in the next update, if it doesn't have it already.

As for the idea of getting a Ninja Star, well, why not, depending on the camera you have. I probably would. 

Maybe it's about the Sony plugin then. What exactly is it supposed to do, is it a FCPX plugin? Maybe you're supposed to plug the whole damn camera with the card onto the computer first... Or something. Or maybe the plugin itself is no good.

I did a quick search in Google and looks like there are quite a few different XAVC to ProRes/Mov converters out there already. Probably one or two in the App Store, too. Suppose that's one simple way to go. Sorry about not being more helpful than that. Perhaps I should look into it properly when I have more time. So far I've just used a Ninja 2 to record ProRes directly.

But meanwhile, as suggested above, maybe you can try getting the actual video clips by digging into the XAVC file structure (rigth-click the Private folder and choose "show package contents") until you reach the actual video clips. I don't know if it works, haven't shot any XAVC yet. Therefore I'm also curious to see if someone else has a proper solution.

FCPX 10.1.3 on Mavericks can import XAVC files from any suitable sd card without any problems (assuming the sony plugin is installed). Go to the import dialog window and select the sd card. Now work through the folder sytem on the sd card until you get to the root folder. Inside the root folder you will find the clip folder. Inside the clip folder you will find the clips. Simply import the clips. You do not even have to transcode the files if you do not want to.

• 5 months later...

old thread , but still want to post here if you don't mind . I have also tried the Sony plug-in but with no luck, the most unbelieveable thing is that sony developed this codec but it can't deal with it by themself ! even for the sony vegas..... so I have to transcode the xavc to prores with some converter from pav, here is what I learned online, even you don't transcode them into prores, the fpc  will help you do the same job in the backstage. So I just do it first which may speed up the rewrap conversion. 

• 1 year later...
On 26. September 2014 at 5:46 PM, DDagg said:

Just for the record:

This was two OSXs back and several FCP X updates as well (which can be installed only on Yosemite or El Capitan). Current are OSX 10.11.4, FCP X 10.2.3 and Pro Codecs 2.0.4. XAVC is natively supported since quite a while now, no need to rewrap or transcode or use a Sony plugin. The professional tool monica66 recommends is for FCP7.