Dear Panasonic: let's get some power zooms!

newfoundmass

I did a shoot over the weekend that required a lot of zooming in and out. It really made me long for the camcorder days and made me ask myself: why doesn't Panasonic release some power zoom lenses? 

I know they have a couple of lower end ones for M43 that aren't constant and are very slow, but why no higher end ones? I'd buy a 24-105 f4 power zoom lens for full frame (and a 12-100 f4 for M43) in a heartbeat. I can't be the only one that would either. It'd be the perfect lens for event shooters. 

Right now Sony is really the only one offering power zooms. I think it's time for Panny boy to get in the game. 

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

It'd be nice, and would be an insta-buy for me, but from an overall ecosystem POV there are probably more pressing needs, telephotos >200mm and a fast ultra wide zoom come to mind.

I always hoped that the little external zoom box that Canon made years ago would have caught on and been made compatible with all zooms from that point. I remember it was paired with a cheaper APS-C superzoom type lens when it came out but then I think that was it.

• 2 weeks later...

I don't think adding a motor, controller, and rocker/buttons would make the lens any cheaper, especially since it would certainly sell way fewer units than the regular 24-105.

Which I think is great, btw. Seems parfocal enough to me, maybe it's "fake" parfocal where it's programmed to adjust the focus as you zoom, but that's good enough for me. The only real improvement I can think of would be for it to go to 120mm like the Nikon equivalent does.

On 2/9/2023 at 7:11 PM, Al Dolega said:

I don't think adding a motor, controller, and rocker/buttons would make the lens any cheaper, especially since it would certainly sell way fewer units than the regular 24-105.

Which I think is great, btw. Seems parfocal enough to me, maybe it's "fake" parfocal where it's programmed to adjust the focus as you zoom, but that's good enough for me. The only real improvement I can think of would be for it to go to 120mm like the Nikon equivalent does.

When I said cut down on the price I meant by not needing it to be parfocal. I wouldn't expect a power zoom version of the 24-105mm to be cheaper than the current lens. I'd pay more (within reason) to have a version of that lens with power zoom capabilities. 

Video has come such a huge part of the industry that everyone should be making power zoom lenses. 

Is quite surprising that so few power zoom lenses available from the various lens makers. 

Canon only has the 18-135 EF-S plus the PZ-E1 (that I think is even discontinued) or cine servo lenses that quite expensive. I would love to have PZ on the 70-200 and 100-500, I use a wireless ff to create a poor man servo zoom but is a big pita to setup every time.... rails... lens gear....additional batteries and cables and lastly calibration.... or use the DJI Focus on the gimbal for zoom but the same pita to set it up. One small but already good improvement would be to have focus and zoom lens gear by default on photo lenses....

Sony has a few ones with the 28-135 F4 probably the most useful on FF and although expensive more affordable that other options. Some good ones for APS-C... 18-105, 18-200...

Nikon and Sigma not sure they have any...

On 2/13/2023 at 6:27 AM, gt3rs said:

Is quite surprising that so few power zoom lenses available from the various lens makers. 

Sony has a few ones with the 28-135 F4 probably the most useful on FF and although expensive more affordable that other options. Some good ones for APS-C... 18-105, 18-200...

Nikon and Sigma not sure they have any...

Sony has more power zooms than that: Sony FE PZ 16-35 f4 (FF), Sony E PZ 10-20 f4 (APS-C). These are newer lenses and show Sony's commitment to power zooms that are pretty much parfocal. There is also the kit lens Sony E PZ 16-50 (APS-C), which has been around a long time but had its AF performance upgraded with a firmware update last month! Note there are many more power zooms for APS-C than FF.

Sony's video-oriented mirrorless camera also have power zoom rockers (Sony ZV-1, Sony ZV-E10, Sony fx3, Sony fx30).