FM lens discount

Cosimo murgolo

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

Yeah, no kidding! Where are we at with the whole discount thing?

I am going to send the list  tomorrow to the anamorphic shop and negotiate if that is possible for the best discount price.

I will let you know how it goes, x fingers, ;) 

I am going to ask them if they can provide  a coupon code for the ones who are in the list.

If any of you have any suggestions please do not hesitate to let me know.

Feel free, you are welcome.

thank you.

Wowsers!  That looks awesome!  

Is anyone able to explain to me what is happening when you get a direct light source shining into the lens?  Sorta looks like you can see the inner part of the Anamorphic or something..

Is this just that they are using a lens too wide or is it something particular to the Moller 2x ?

I have a Kowa Bell/Howell and a Isco Ultra Star..

O.K, thanks so much 

:)

Wowsers!  That looks awesome!  

Is anyone able to explain to me what is happening when you get a direct light source shining into the lens?  Sorta looks like you can see the inner part of the Anamorphic or something..

Is this just that they are using a lens too wide or is it something particular to the Moller 2x ?

I have a Kowa Bell/Howell and a Isco Ultra Star..

O.K, thanks so much 

:)

Depends on your definition of "too wide" :) It is a sort of internal "flare"/optical imperfection. But if we're talking anamorphic, optical imperfections are a bit of a grey area (pun intended). It's not too wide, it has image corner-to-corner. But when it gets hit with light, flares in a sort of grey "vignette". Even the "real-deal" lenses from Panavision, etc. can do this. In the land of anamorpnics, I think "everything in moderation" is an excellent rule of thumb. I've seen this optical nuance used both well and poorly, just as I have with horizontal flares. 

Hi Caleb, 

Thanks for the response back, much appreciated!  

So with regards to the "Grey Vignette", is it something that you can avoid?  That is, if you are still wanting the flares from shooting straight into a light source?  I have seen other Anamorphic videos where people have shot straight into headlights and it has produced a clean, horizontal flare..

Or is this something that is maybe more pronounced with the FM module?  Or even just particular to that lens/anamorphic/FM module combo?

Well, either way, I look forward to more samples coming from this, is looking pretty awesome :)

Thanks again.

So with regards to the "Grey Vignette", is it something that you can avoid?  That is, if you are still wanting the flares from shooting straight into a light source?  I have seen other Anamorphic videos where people have shot straight into headlights and it has produced a clean, horizontal flare..

Or is this something that is maybe more pronounced with the FM module?  Or even just particular to that lens/anamorphic/FM module combo?

The "Grey Vignette" is often called a "veiling flare" or "veiling glare". Often caused by longer bodied anamorphics and/or the size of the front element. Most anamorphic lovers consider it to be yet another artefact that is attractive, watch Any film with beautiful Panavision C lenses flaring and you will often notice it. To minimise or eliminate it - don't point the lens at a bright light source! Or use a mattebox and flag to cut the light from hitting the front inside edge. I doubt the FM module would impact flare character much at all, the only thing to watch is the rotating front - if the glass is dirty or smeared it will create a spinning streak in its flare when pulling focus.

Here is a vid explaining most common artefacts asociated with anamorphic, a few "veiling glare" shots shown:

The "Grey Vignette" is often called a "veiling flare" or "veiling glare". Often caused by longer bodied anamorphics and/or the size of the front element. Most anamorphic lovers consider it to be yet another artefact that is attractive, watch Any film with beautiful Panavision C lenses flaring and you will often notice it. To minimise or eliminate it - don't point the lens at a bright light source! Or use a mattebox and flag to cut the light from hitting the front inside edge. I doubt the FM module would impact flare character much at all, the only thing to watch is the rotating front - if the glass is dirty or smeared it will create a spinning streak in its flare.

Here is a vid explaining most common artefacts asociated with anamorphic, a few "veiling glare" shots shown

thank you, I found it very interesting!

Vimeo on my machine aint too good, so it was jerky but seemed to speed up on the focus pulls making it look like a speed ramp, I kept going back but always the same result, the grey vignette looked more like a gold vignette, but as its the moller it cant be, I would expect less of that the more zoomed in, but is this is on a 3x crop?

I'm in as I've said already, I like the test results, just a note:

when they made the first copies of their VM 1.5x anamorphic, I bought one and the results weren't so good. Hopefully, the second/recent/newest example that they made, was much better...

So, based on this experience, I'm not sure if in the (not far from now) future, they will make an even better copy of the FM too. And all of us who will buy the first examples will run to sell them so to buy the evolution of the first FM examples...

Just my thoughts ;)

I'm in as I've said already, I like the test results, just a note:

when they made the first copies of their VM 1.5x anamorphic, I bought one and the results weren't so good. Hopefully, the second/recent/newest example that they made, was much better...

So, based on this experience, I'm not sure if in the (not far from now) future, they will make an even better copy of the FM too. And all of us who will buy the first examples will run to sell them so to buy the evolution of the first FM examples...

Just my thoughts ;)

I hope this won't be the case Yannis,  thank you for reporting your experience.

I am just going to see if  they will provide us a discount coupon, afterwards each of us can make  their last decision to buy or not.

Cheers!