Nikon D810 video quality leapfrogs Canon 5D Mark III

Andrew Reid

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

Nikon seems a bit half hearted about promoting video capabilities (maybe because much of the capability arises from piggybacking off Sony technology?) If they now have the best DSLR/video hybrids, after all these years, why are they not shouting about it? Maybe because the story has moved to mirrorless?

They do, but no one listen or take notice in the video dslr world. Every new release from the D7100 and up had at least one highly features promotional video to back the launch. The problem is that they where late vs Canon which build a big momentum in video. When did bring something innovative they where rapidly superseded. When they did launch the D800/d4 about 1.5 years ago they where the first to give clean uncompressed HDMI out. But Canon feeling the pressure gave a firmware update to the 5D3 and Sony also followed it. It might look trivial today, but everybody was dreaming about high bitrate codec 3 years ago, the gh2 hack being the proof. Since then they did bring new tech and advancement or more refinement like no moire/aliasing, better ISO and now Flat profile, higher resolution and zebras.

In the end all these thing are coming to fruition to produce some solid hybrid video dslr, with the best photo cameras and very good video. I am sure that we will see in 1.5 years when they update the D800/D4 four year cycle features like 4k, better liveview/video AF and hopefully for me some 10+ bit codec and LOG profile. Peaking would also be great.

In the end all these thing are coming to fruition to produce some solid hybrid video dslr, with the best photo cameras and very good video. I am sure that we will see in 1.5 years when they update the D800/D4 four year cycle features like 4k, better liveview/video AF and hopefully for me some 10+ bit codec and LOG profile. Peaking would also be great.

Proper 1080p would at least be something, and the 60 fps over-cranking looks pretty good. At least an Atomos recorder gives you an improved display for video (peaking, zebras etc), as well as bypassing the internal codec, without costing a fortune. And if it doesn't have the A7S rolling shutter, that is also a plus.

Aww, poor thing. Looks like I managed to dent your ego pretty bad, somehow. Sorry about that, it was not intentional. 

Yeah, I'll need some pretty extensive therapy and may convert my religious affiliation to a Himalayan Buddhist sect in order to cope, but with a little luck I think I'll pull through.

Either that or I'll just curl up into a fetal position with my old 5D and coo gently to it as I fall asleep.

Eh, perhaps both.

Proper 1080p would at least be something, and the 60 fps over-cranking looks pretty good. At least an Atomos recorder gives you an improved display for video (peaking, zebras etc), as well as bypassing the internal codec, without costing a fortune. And if it doesn't have the A7S rolling shutter, that is also a plus.

If you want to record 60p over HDMI, you have the Shogun for $2k, which is pretty much. Do we have any other options?

If you want to record 60p over HDMI, you have the Shogun for $2k, which is pretty much. Do we have any other options?

Good point. The Canadian D810 video looks like it was mostly shot at 60p. Also looks like they used outboard recording. Did they have a Shogun?

If they used internal recording then I am impressed with the codec.

I think in one of the comment or in the bts video of the Canadian video that the director said that they used the internal codec. Something of note is that in general the 60p in Nikon's is  like 35/40 mbits per second than the 25 mps of the 24 p. The second solution is to wait for the Nikon hackers, they are around 60 mbits for the D800. The only problem is that they have not cracked the Nikon xpeed 4 until now. The particularity of the Nikon Xpeed 4 is that it is programmable arm chip, compared to the custom asic of the previous Xpeed. In the long run it would be very good because, they could programme functionalities like peaking etc.

One thing that annoys me with Nikon is their low bitrate. By all account it is a very good implementation of h.264 but what would they have lost to put a 50mbit in standard 24fps and 70+ mbits in the 60p. It is as if they are married to Atomos even if the combo Ninja is very nice with the monitor and recorder functionality in a very compact package (smaller than a external Flash). But it would have put some headline and not force people to have to put another 300+ to get higher bitrate, more so that Atomos did not refrain from promoting the 5d3 clean hdmi output when it came out.

The BTS was remarkably uninformative… but it looks like you are right about the internal codec, in which case that is a very nice image for 1080p60, very little degradation of detail. If the D750 is as good (still to be seen) then it might be a pretty good value option for those who don't need 4K (with the Shogun as a rental option for when you need uncompressed).

• Administrators

I have a D750 to test so will put it through its paces on the blog this weekend.

Looks good so far. Flat picture profile offers pretty impressive dynamic range and there's very little weirdness coming from the sensor. At least as clean as D5300 but seems less soft.

Andrew Im glad you are looking into nikons again. I do love them and used the D810 recently so I can agree it does feel like a much better version of the D800 camera. The video, stills and the Group focus points all are really great. I wish the value of my D800 wasnt so low now or Id sell and upgrade.

As for nikon hackers I do hope they get some great advances soon. The Nikon bodies have the ability to write a lot of data to cards and buffers very quickly. Especially as Ive been saying with the XQD cards they are unbelievably fast. 

I have kind of given up on the DSLR Video stuff but like having it around. Ive moved on to the Kinemini 4k but its a huge camera. Anyways again glad you are pushing these guys because they will be there own worst enemy with their current mentality on what we want as users.

Even new the D800 dropped a lot. Here it has been going for less than €2100, so it's not surprising it goes for €1600 second hand. Then Nikon introduced the D810, and decided only the pro dealers can sell it... the price has been a very steady €3299 (msrp) since the introduction.

Any idea how either of the new Nikon's grade?

For me, digital files generally look rubbish out of camera and need grading to at atmosphere.

Nikon stills are great in that respect b/c they're really malleable with high DR and can generally be pushed and prodded into good colour and mood.

Wonder if the video is forgiving when graded.

Even new the D800 dropped a lot. Here it has been going for less than €2100, so it's not surprising it goes for €1600 second hand. Then Nikon introduced the D810, and decided only the pro dealers can sell it... the price has been a very steady €3299 (msrp) since the introduction.

Yikes! 3299? Maybe I should get into the grey market business in Europe...

Andrew Im glad you are looking into nikons again. I do love them and used the D810 recently so I can agree it does feel like a much better version of the D800 camera. The video, stills and the Group focus points all are really great. I wish the value of my D800 wasnt so low now or Id sell and upgrade.

As for nikon hackers I do hope they get some great advances soon. The Nikon bodies have the ability to write a lot of data to cards and buffers very quickly. Especially as Ive been saying with the XQD cards they are unbelievably fast. 

I have kind of given up on the DSLR Video stuff but like having it around. Ive moved on to the Kinemini 4k but its a huge camera. Anyways again glad you are pushing these guys because they will be there own worst enemy with their current mentality on what we want as users.

I'm going with the Kinemini as well and out of the DSLR cinema land, are you happy with how the camera keys greenscreen footage? I haven't seen any tests but expect it to be super smooth. Also, do you notice image quality improvement in the 2K 14-bit mode?

Hi Andrew, when you pla

I have a D750 to test so will put it through its paces on the blog this weekend.

Looks good so far. Flat picture profile offers pretty impressive dynamic range and there's very little weirdness coming from the sensor. At least as clean as D5300 but seems less soft.

Hi Andrew when you play with the D750 can you check with your sigma 18-35mm lens if it can focus in liveview mode. My local camera store had the camera and I went to play with it but it wouldn't focus in liveview mode. It focuses fine with the viewfinder.