Nikon is working on 4k for their DSLRs

dahlfors

Found on Nikonrumors:

Similar to the answer Nikon executives gave to AP in an interview last week, Toshiaki Akagi (Department Manager in Nikon's 1Designing Department) told dpreview that a new large sensor mirrorless cameras is a possibility in the future:

"We know that there is a certain body of demand for larger sensors in mirrorless products. Although we already have the 1 inch sensor in the 1 System, we don't want to deny the possibility of future large-sensor mirrorless cameras. So maybe if there is enough demand we may be able to provide another type of mirrorless camera with larger sensors. This is one of the solutions."

Few other points from the interview:
- 4k video is coming to the Nikon DSLR lineup

Source: http://nikonrumors.com/2014/09/23/nikon-large-sensor-mirrorless-camera-is-a-possibility.aspx/

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

Otherwise it wouldn't make any sense. But obviously this hypothetic 4K camera will be just that, 4K. No real log modes, no 10bit, some shitty codec,etc...

bullshit alert:

Personally I hope that the open source modular cameras become accesible and good performance wise, then we can start forgetting about buying into expensive ,instantly obsolete systems. That + 3D printing would fit perfectly into what I personally believe the spirit of this forum is.

• Administrators

Canon wait until the others have made their move and usually follow up a few years later with the same thing at a lower price.

Then as tumbleweeds roll across the floor, eventually Nikon gets round to copying Canon!

Even took them a while with full frame FX format!

So I am not expecting any low-priced 4K camera from Nikon soon, if anything it will probably be a Cinema Nikon and $10k!

For us with Nikon equipment who like using Nikons for stills, it's good news with better video options.

Just hope they'll implement H.265 when they go 4k. Preferably with some kind of LOG format and 10-bit 422 too. Great dynamic range and color is what I lack from the current Nikon video image - not 4k resolution.

Nikon will put 4k in 1.5 years when they will release the successor of the Nikon D4 and D800/810 after their usual 4 years life cycle. With every smart phone that will support it in 2015-2016 and other camera manufacturers, they know they have to include it.

Contrary to many belief here, they did innovate by being the first to have video in dslr with the D90 and secondly being the first to give clean uncompressed hdmi out that can recorded in high bitrate codec. In the last 2 years they have cured aliasing/moire as from the D5200, my guess is that they sample much more pixel from the sensor and do pixel binning. This also resulted in much better low light video performance with APSC camera coming very close to the 5D mark 3. They also have upgraded most of their camera since the d5300 with 60p at full hd resolution. In terms of resolution the d800 was nice but had moire/aliasing. Then you had D7100 which had no aliasing/moire but good resolution. Now the latest D810 seems to have very good resolution for a 1080p camera, hopefully it will be the same for the D750. In terms of DR, since the D800 most if not all of the Nikon's are about 12 stop DR in video. The latest D810 and D750 both include a flat picture profile, is it just a profile like the Flaat or technicolor for Canon, or does it come before processing and really extend the DR? Unfortunately no one tested it. They also added zebras in the D810/D750.

So what we can see is that they are more evolutionary than revolutionary, at least for video. Sometime they where a little in advance and sometime late. I hope that they develop a mirror less system so that we can see where it is going and might satisfy some need. But I am not prepared to loose my optical viewfinder for an evf until it is clearly better and makes its proof as a reliable tool. Those Nikon are the ones that goes to war zone and space. More so that their are simple work-out like the back LCD (which is reported to be superb on the D810 and D750) which just need a $ 60 loupe to transform into an EVF. You also have a plethora of external EVF that you can attach to the hdmi or Cheap $ 300 Monitor that have peaking/zebras/false colour/vectroscope etc.

What I am a bit afraid, is that with all the frenzy about 4k, that they forget things that are more important for me. Like at least higher bitare in standard, but more important of all, at least a 10 bit codec couple with a profile that extract most of the 14+ stop of the sensor. They could also be revolutionary, like giving raw output, but I don't think I am prepared for these type of data rate for now.

I forgot to add that they have innovated with the smooth aperture or ISO, which adjust the exposure automatically like for example when you walk into a room or outside the camera does it automatically and in a seamless way. This will be boon for event shooters like wedding videographers when they follow the bride from outside to inside of the church.

I forgot to add that they have innovated with the smooth aperture or ISO, which adjust the exposure automatically like for example when you walk into a room or outside the camera does it automatically and in a seamless way. This will be boon for event shooters like wedding videographers when they follow the bride from outside to inside of the church.

I was quite impressed byt the D810 fisherman video. Perhaps Nikon should make a mirrorless slim bodied version of their D810 and sell a larger grip as an ad on. add proper 4K with proper codec , headphone out , mic in, focus peaking and ask 3650 for it .. 12 bit RAW does not cut it for me .. a nikon edition A7R with 14bit RAw's would be perfect.

• 3 weeks later...

just a silly question, what do you guys need 4k anyway? just the resolution or there is more behind this request?

It's been discussed quite a few times, so feel free to do some more research... but here are the main advantages: 

- 4K gives you a much better, more detailed 1080p image

- lack of moire and aliasing due to better resolution

- you can reframe, crop, pan, tilt and zoom in post

- better low light performance (finer noise structure)

Basically 4K gives you a better and more flexible 1080p image. 

it's like saying you need a full frame so you can crop and reframe after, in the still image photography. i think is better to think twice and shot once. Anyway, in my view is better to have a mature perfect 1080p codec and have the best resolution with details and lack of moire and aliasing than having a 4k option that needs a lot of work in post to make it a good 1080p if you know what i meen. Sure it is an option because we don't have a good alternative for a native 1080p yet. Still people prefer the 5d mark3 raw against the 4k with the only exception of the low light which is a different story. Still the new d750 from nikon is a good promise for low light and is not a 4k.

Anyway in my vision d810 is the best compromise you can get in terms of stills and video. Let's wait for andrew to make some time and give us a proper test of the d810 video potential or maybe the 750.

it's like saying you need a full frame so you can crop and reframe after, in the still image photography. i think is better to think twice and shot once. Anyway, in my view is better to have a mature perfect 1080p codec and have the best resolution with details and lack of moire and aliasing than having a 4k option that needs a lot of work in post to make it a good 1080p if you know what i meen. Sure it is an option because we don't have a good alternative for a native 1080p yet. Still people prefer the 5d mark3 raw against the 4k with the only exception of the low light which is a different story. Still the new d750 from nikon is a good promise for low light and is not a 4k.

Anyway in my vision d810 is the best compromise you can get in terms of stills and video. Let's wait for andrew to make some time and give us a proper test of the d810 video potential or maybe the 750.

Umm... no.