Nikon D750 video quality is a step forward, but how much of one?

Andrew Reid

• Administrators

At Photokina (Photokino for video users!) I briefly played with the Nikon D750.

With the camera tethered to a sales rep stand and so much else for filmmakers at the show like the Sony A7S, Panasonic GH4, Samsung NX1, Blackmagic and Red, I didn't really have much time for the Canon or Nikon areas, but I did form some first impressions of using the new camera.

Read the full article here

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

I finally told myself it's time for me to get in the world of full frame photography. I am considering this camera pending when I test it and play with it at the video store. Two main factors for me, the wide range of lenses to use with it and it's price. Having good video on it to me is just a plus. I have convinced my self that I will stick with the GH4 for video and upgrade to something better when the time comes. But for stills, I need something made for taking good stills. I know it's not the best stills camera, but I think it will do it at a good price. 

I'd say that its a step up from the d5300 as well.  Better rolling shutter by the looks of it, too.  Still the 4k lumix stuff you posted looks nicer still. I haven't handled it yet, but I agree my issue with the d600 grip was the depth. 

Do you know if there's any crop in video mode like there is with the d800?  If not then I may consider selling the 5300 and getting this.  The d800 is an extrordinary stills camera, if this has similar dynamic range and feel in stills then its quite appealing

Yeah, I'd like to know the same, as D800/D800E has a small crop, according to Nikon's site: "Also, in the FX-based movie format, the width of the image area is approx. 91% of that in the still image FX format."

I just hope we don't have this crop with the D810/D750, I haven't found a word about this yet.

Good to know there is some improvement. But unless you need fast AF for stills with Nikon glass (which is why I have a D600), Sony full and crop cameras are a lot more attractive for video. Even if using Nikon MF lenses (try focussing the 50mm f1.2 AIS on the D600, I end up switching to live view and using a loupe) an a6000 or A7 series is probably more practical.

You must use an external recorder. I had a gh2 and it is the same experience between the unhack low bitrate codec and the higher bitrate ones. The thing is that higher the noise the more information (even if it is only noise) the codec has to fit into the limited bitrate. So it start to remove detail where normally it is less seen in the shadows. I experimented it with the D7100 and Atomos, alas the D7100 also has banding.