My first BMPCC footage

Guest a17c1243fe130104d9f7927fd5672085

Guest fe4a3f5e8381673ce80017d29a8375f1

I received my BM Pocket last week (after buying it in the summer sale and waiting aaaagggges for it).

Anyway, I haven't had much time to play with it so this is my first attempt (RAW and ProRes 422 mix):

Graded in FCPX (Resolve to convert the RAW)

I love the camera already. The image is just so rich and full and happy to be pushed around. The moire bothers me a fair bit, but it's not a deal breaker. 

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

Nice :) Very natural looking footage. Curious - why did you decide to get a BMPCC when you already have two other bodies?

1. colour depth

2. dynamic range

3. grading flexibility

4. £366

No's 1-3 I value over resolution. For £366 I couldn't resist. I'm a total convert now...

The moire bothers me a fair bit, but it's not a deal breaker. 

Did you read my topic about the Mosaic anti-moire-filter? If it's any good, I will be one of the first buyers and will let you know.

In the meantime: What are your thoughts on raw vs. ProRes? As far as moire is concerned as well as gradability ...

FCP X does quite well with the ProRes footage and grading it, don't you think?

Cool :) how did you get it for such a low price? Also I'd like to know how it performs when there are bright lights in a dark scene, eg

Hard to say. Depends on your exposure. Generally, if you had avoided clipping of the lights in the background (zebra) and had enough light in the foreground, it should look better with the Pocket. On the other hand, it's not exactly a low light camera. There is a threshold beneath which noise really gets annoying. You'd see HDR effects rather with the sky. In bright environments the Pocket shows it's 13 stops (minus the lowest, a.k.a. noise floor).

Did you read my topic about the Mosaic anti-moire-filter? If it's any good, I will be one of the first buyers and will let you know.

In the meantime: What are your thoughts on raw vs. ProRes? As far as moire is concerned as well as gradability ...

FCP X does quite well with the ProRes footage and grading it, don't you think?

Yes I had a quick look. I'll wait to see how well it works. If it does work well, it'll be a big deal. But those things aren't cheap.

From the little I've seen, moire seems visibly worse in RAW than in ProRes. In terms of grading I'm yet to come to any conclusions. ProRes is fine for most stuff, and yes, FCPX cuts through it like warm butter.

I'm glad you got your bmpcc!

What Luts or plug-ins are do you use for developping your footage?

Yes I'm loving the image. I'll never buy an 8bit camera again.

I use a mixture of the blackmagic film to rec 709 that comes with resolve (just copied it to my FCPX LUT folder), the Alexa to rec 709 and an Impulz LUT (Kodak colour reversal - can't remember the name).

Using LUT Utility in FCP X? You could try this LUT from slashCAM user "ruessel". It's for ProRes only. Say what you think. There is a special LUT for Resolve, I don't know why. This special LUT also counteracts the greenish cast produced by the IR cut filter, so if you're not using such a filter already (which you should), the image will probably have a magenta cast.

My thoughts on LUTs: Nice to see a natural looking, colorful image. But I like to get there on my own. However, I always make a LUT version which I finetune underneath the LUT and then compare my own efforts to see if I missed anything. 

Imo it's easier to almost accidentally "find" the right look for a sequence if you didn't see it in almost perfect colors from the start.

Great video OT. I love the organic feel! Great mood even without music.

I love the "raw" image the BMPCC gives compared to cameras in the same price range. I was a doubter this summer but once I actually bought a good lens, everything changed.

I only wish we could get higher fps (at least 60 on prores).

Again, gorgeous images.

1. colour depth

2. dynamic range

3. grading flexibility

4. £366

No's 1-3 I value over resolution. For £366 I couldn't resist. I'm a total convert now...

5. GAS  :P

(with number 5 and 4 being somewhat linked to each other, of course...)

Great video OT. I love the organic feel! Great mood even without music.

I love the "raw" image the BMPCC gives compared to cameras in the same price range. I was a doubter this summer but once I actually bought a good lens, everything changed.

I only wish we could get higher fps (at least 60 on prores).

Again, gorgeous images.

Thanks man! I love this camera. So glad I bought it ...

5. GAS  :P

(with number 5 and 4 being somewhat linked to each other, of course...)

No not GAS. The Pocket is an entirely different tool to my 8bit cameras. I'm still pretty much a beginner when it comes to video, but my learning curve had plateaued recently. The BMPCC has opened up a whole world of learning possibilities to me. Coming from a painting background, having all that colour depth, grading latitude and chiaroscuro available to me is a very big deal. Anyone who uses this site can be accused of GAS. Anyone who buys a new camera even. But when a camera allows you to improve your skill set to such a degree it's something more than just consumerism.

No not GAS. The Pocket is an entirely different tool to my 8bit cameras. I'm still pretty much a beginner when it comes to video, but my learning curve had plateaued recently. The BMPCC has opened up a whole world of learning possibilities to me. Coming from a painting background, having all that colour depth, grading latitude and chiaroscuro available to me is a very big deal. Anyone who uses this site can be accused of GAS. Anyone who buys a new camera even. But when a camera allows you to improve your skill set to such a degree it's something more than just consumerism.

Of course it is, no argument there. The learning part works for me, too. But at least to me consumerism is not the same as GAS, and vice versa. To me consumerism is the kind of "shopping is a feeling" attitude and behaviour. Shopping for the sake of shopping, whereas GAS is something different, the urge to get a newer, better tool we want and sometimes even need to do what we do, even though not having one right now wouldn't kill us. 

I for one will openly admit that GAS did have a small part in my buying a BMPCC, along with those four or other somewhat similar reasons. That's why I added the fifth reason in that list. It's as much an edited list for myself, as it was a friendly pun towards you. I think it's quite healthy not to take ourselves too seriously all the time.

GAS aside, I don't regret getting the damn thing. The only thing I sort of regret is rushing to buy the cheaper LCDF loupe for it instead of waiting for the pricier Zacuto loupe. Only because the cheaper loupe was available immediately, and the Zacuto wasn't.  The price difference was significant, but not critical.

I actually like the simplicity of the camera, along with the 10-bit 422 ProRes HQ it delivers as default. The two major things I don't like too much is the quality of the lcd screen and the structure of the settings menu. There should be better shortcuts for some settings and functions. I wish it had better battery life and built in ND filters, too, but one can't have everything in such a small package, for such a price. Now I just wish I had more time and opportunities to play with it. This fall has been a bit of a disappointment, in many ways. 

Using LUT Utility in FCP X? You could try this LUT from slashCAM user "ruessel". It's for ProRes only. Say what you think. There is a special LUT for Resolve, I don't know why. This special LUT also counteracts the greenish cast produced by the IR cut filter, so if you're not using such a filter already (which you should), the image will probably have a magenta cast.

Thanks for pointing this out Axel. I do use an IR filter and a number of my shots are looking waaay too green (I think it's usually shots into the sun), so I'll try it out. I'll report back if I like it.