Micro Jitter on Panasonic 35-100 f2.8 when using Power OIS

tosvus

Hi, I added a video to vimeo to show the issue of Micro Jitter on the Panasonic 35-100. This is basically a Power OIS flaw that shows itself clearly when doing handheld video with stabilization enabled. This issue is fairly widely reported, and similar issues have been reported for the Panasonic 14-140. Earlier the issue was apparent on Panasonic 12-35 f2.8 as well, but Panasonic did provide a firmware fix to that particular lens. It seems logical that similar fixes could be done for these two other lenses as well, but Panasonic has so far not acknowledged the problem. This is perhaps because a large percentage of users are mainly taking photos, not shooting video, so it has not so far affected ratings or most reviews to a large degree. (It works fine for photos)

Comparing 4 lenses, around 35-45mm, to see how each handle in terms of OIS when used handheld. Shot with GH3 in Ex-tele mode (which zooms in), then Premiere was used to crop into 4 different squares. All were shot at 24fps w/125 shutter speed, 1000 iso, and either f4 or f5.6 aperture. Original clips were stored in 1080p24 at 50mbps. Absolutely no processing of the video was done other than cropping.

As is evident, the 35-100 has a very clear micro jitter issue, while even a cheap 14-42 kit lens does not. 

Lenses in test:
Panasonic Leica 42.5mm f1.2 "Nocticron"
Panasonic 45-150 f4-5.6   (shot at 45mm)
Panasonic 35-100 f2.8 x-series (shot around 40-45mm)
Panasonic 14-45 f3.5-f5.6 (shot at 45mm)

The first test is available at 
" title="External link">

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

just a note: - I see you are doing these tests in ex tele mode? that makes the problem x2 worse as you are making the lens x2 longer doing this

most people will not be using ex tele mode to shoot video ....just a thought

can you do a test in normal filming mode not ex tele to show how bad the gitter is normally when filming

big thanks

Andy

Hi Andy,

I Will do a video that shows normal mode as well, but from this comparison clearly shows an issue that their other lenses do not exhibit.

As for ex tele, it is a video only feature implemented by Panasonic and while some lenses are highly usable in this mode, and should be, the 35-100 is not. I think it I a useful feature, and I'm sure many use this occasionally to increase their reach. Also, I believe people shooting 4K can forget cropping in post if using this lens, which is one of the reasons for shooting 4K today.

I will update the post later, but again, this is clearly an unnecessary flaw in an expensive product.

It is good that Panasonic hears our official complaints of POWER OIS lenses. I wish that everybody with these issues will send an email to Panasonic service. They may consider a FW fix if it is possible.

I made my post too to Panasonic and the answer was like yours.

Before fix the software stabilization is our way to go. I have got great results with Mercalli. The bad thing is that it changes GH4 0-255 files to 16-235.

There is also a problem that OIS is OFF automatically when close to a stationary state is lens.
All panasonic OIS lens.

Hi

What do you mean? I have not noticed that OIS goes off. When OIS is off image jitters even more handheld but that is handshake.

• 3 months later...

Hi,

Panasonic has just released the new 1.2 firmware for the Panasonic 35-100mm f/2.8 Lumix G Vario Zoom Lens

which had issues with micro jitter when you use it with GH3 or GH4 when shooting video and the Power Optical Image Stabilization in the lens is used.

The official links for Win and Mac files:

http://av.jpn.support.panasonic.com/share/eww/en/dsc/fts/win/HS35100V12.exe

http://av.jpn.support.panasonic.com/share/eww/en/dsc/fts/mac/HS35100V12.zip

Best regards,

Gorazd

Ok, I got to try it out. There is DEFINITELY an improvement, though on my copy, not eliminated. I would say doing a quick test, that it is still not as good as the other lenses I tested originally, but in normal mode, I think it is acceptable. In tele-ex, while improved a lot, I would not want to shoot hand-held still, so keep a tripod around for that use at least.

Still, nice to see Panasonic trying to fix the issue. It is probably the best that can be done via a FW update alone.

• 3 weeks later...

tosvus,

Thanks for the update on this.  I upgraded my 35-100 firmware just before shooting a bunch of video.  Previously, I only used the 35-100 to shoot video with OIS when mounted on my E-PM2.  I thought that is how crappy OIS is by nature for video (when comparing to my E-M5 at the time), that I never tried again.

After filming with the firmware upgrade on my GX7, it seemed a bit better, but much worse than my LX100's OIS.  I really need to do a comparison between the LX100 and 35-100 at 70mm.  I still think there is too much jitter in the 35-100 though but as it is my only OIS lens, I can't really tell.

I'm thinking hard swapping the GX7 with the EM-5 II (for telephoto), with the only downside being having to match shots from the LX100.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 8 months later...