Panasonic LX100 first impressions review and 4K footage

Andrew Reid

It's not such a big deal imo.

Set the shutter dial to 60 and you can change between 40, 50, 60, 80 and 100 with the control ring on the lens (it has both an aperture ring and extra control ring), or the small wheel on the back.

The camera has 3 custom modes (C1, C2, C3) in the menu. You can assign a FN button (or the wifi button) to access the custom modes.

Just make a custom setting with your favorite movie settings and photo settings and you're good to go.

Looks like it's not PAL/NTSC switchable though and also the Cine Profiles seem to be missing.

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

Set the shutter dial to 60 and you can change between 40, 50, 60, 80 and 100 with the control ring on the lens (it has both an aperture ring and extra control ring), or the small wheel on the back.

The camera has 3 custom modes (C1, C2, C3) in the menu. You can assign a FN button (or the wifi button) to access the custom modes.

Just make a custom setting with your favorite movie settings and photo settings and you're good to go.

Looks like it's not PAL/NTSC switchable though and also the Cine Profiles seem to be missing.

Thanks for the suggestions, but you've just reaffirmed my point.  Setting the shutter speed to 1/25 or 1/50 sec, for example, now requires that I rotate rotate two dials.  And I'm not sure how well the rear rotary dial works, but in general they are clumsy.  I much prefer a (programmable) top dial.  Video shooters will need to faff about just to make basic changes/settings with lots of button presses and using multiple dials to make one setting.

Does 1/60th of a second vs 1/50th of a second really make any difference?  As far as matching 50hz light sources, the frame rate is the most important thing surely?

The amount of exposure per frame will be slightly different depending on at what phase in the oscillation you press the record button, but at 25fps the next frame begins at exaclty the same point in the oscillation so every frame will have the same exposure.   

Matching the shutter angle to the light source is only relevant if your frame rate isn't matched.  But then each frame starts at a different phase so you will still have an amount of flicker anyway.

So If you're shooting 25fps, the difference is just a 16.66 millisecond exposure time instead of a 20 millisecond exposure time.  So you are getting 17% less motion blur and 17% less exposure.  If there is any more differernce than that then I would like to see an example.

Yeah, just saw it in my subscription feed! Great schtuff, this review. TCSTV is my fav camera review channel. I mean, I kinda like DigitalRev TV, because although mostly very immature it's kind of entertaining, but Chris and Jordan really keep things interesting and informative and really nail it when it comes to critique.

The only thing I look forward to more is camera reviews from people with a more filmic background, such as Philip Bloom and Andrew of course.

Can't wait for the LX100 to be out in stores and get a hands-on myself. I guess that's the only way I can tell whether it's going to be replacing the LX7...