Panasonic LX100 first impressions review and 4K footage

Andrew Reid

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

Got it. It would make sense. But does anyone know if ex Tele is available in 1080p ? It would at least allow an option to extend the reach, if needed.

It would make sense, but I don't know. That said - I think the bitrates are pretty low on 1080p, so it might be better to always shoot 4K and either crop or downconvert as you see fit, in post. I am positive you will get a better picture downconverting the 4k to 1080p. and it gives you the flexibility to just crop to 1080p for those times you want extra zoom.

What the hell is it with all these fake comparison videos on YouTube recently?

I came across this and posted it without thinking too much. It was on a youtube channel called '‪‪Camera Test & Review TV‬‬', which has has been around for 6 months or so and they seem to have access to many cameras; so far the 'comparison test' has been seen by 2,700 people, quite significant, and no comment that it is fake. Also, you could expect the looks of the cameras to be quite similar if you match the lenses as the video shows. But you are right, there is no information about the test, and I assume that the LX100 is not available for anybody to test it yet (you know this things better than me);  ...gosh, there are some idiots out there that have a lot of free time.

@lexicon: Isn't it a big giveaway, that they claim to have tested the LX100 with the same lens? The LX100 is a non-interchangeable lens camera, isn't it?

Marc, no, they haven't claimed that. I just assumed that to do the comparison they had to choose an equivalent Zeiss f/2.8 to use on the GH4. Future proper (and 'real') comparisons between LX100 and GH4 will have to choose a comparable lens for the GH4. Zeiss f/2.8 m43 glass would be a possible start.

Marc, no, they haven't claimed that. I just assumed that to do the comparison they had to choose an equivalent Zeiss f/2.8 to use on the GH4. Future proper (and 'real') comparisons between LX100 and GH4 will have to choose a comparable lens for the GH4. Zeiss f/2.8 m43 glass would be a possible start.

They clearly do: In the intro it says: "Lens Used :- Panasonic GX Vario 12-35mm 2.8 (on both cameras)"

Perhaps.

Just seems a bit clunky to me. And I don't see direct custom mode buttons either, so every time i turn it on will i have to fiddle around with that damn rear dial to set up the shutter speed and possibly miss a filming opportunity.

Personally i see it as a bit of a fail. You should be able to power it on having the dials set and hit record.

Perhaps it can be setup to default at a predetermined shutter speed for video recording?

So it seems that in PAL regions the dial has no 1/25 or 1/50, so you have to use the rear dial to change it. CRAP!

The control arrangement on this camera is CRAP, full stop.  Why on Earth did Panasonic follow Fuji with the "cute" retro X100 series?  The Fuji is effectively only a stills only camera.

I shoot video in manual mode and stills in aperture priority, and the not being able to seamlessly alternate between these modes is a show stopper.

Sony is often criticised for poor haptics/design but even the little RX100m3 has a dial that allows you to easily switch between video and photo modes.  The built in ND filter which can be readily activated is also a major bonus.

Why on Earth did Panasonic follow Fuji with the "cute" retro X100 series?

Because there are many many many photographers who like this particular control layout. They think it gives them more manual control. I've done this argument so many times and I don't think I'll ever get them to change their minds, despite the reality.

Because there are many many many photographers who like this particular control layout. They think it gives them more manual control. I've done this argument so many times and I don't think I'll ever get them to change their minds, despite the reality.

Sure, it will suit photographers.  But it's going to be PITA for those that shoot video.  Where's the 1/25 sec setting on the shutter speed dial?  Where's the custom mode settings dial that allows you to rapidly switch between stills and video mode?