SLR Magic 2x Anamorphic - my footage and first impressions

Andrew Reid

All these new anamorphic options are exciting in theory but where is the exciting footage? I think if this and the other newer options want to really move units they should have a DP do something impressive showing the results they can achieve when used well. The bent jello cam tests aren't enough when asking people to part with $800-4000.

That never seemed to come with the letus or the slr 1.3x and I don't hear much about those since they have been released except FS posts.

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

All these new anamorphic options are exciting in theory but where is the exciting footage? I think if this and the other newer options want to really move units they should have a DP do something impressive showing the results they can achieve when used well. The bent jello cam tests aren't enough when asking people to part with $800-4000.

That never seemed to come with the letus or the slr 1.3x and I don't hear much about those since they have been released except FS posts.

Agreed, too much bad footage just hurts the product. They should show the lenses at their best and not their "ok/bad".

Interesting article Andrew and thank you for sharing.

I realise this is only just a prototype, but factually observe the strong CA and LOCA displayed in this unit. The shot below illustrates it pretty well with cyan, amber CA quite visible which of course will be 3x more pronounced at 1080p  --- and for close ups well….. 

I suspect the use of H-K9L glass is being used here (a very popular glass in China) as I recognise its signature.
Perhaps we shall see some improvement along the product development cycle?

John, no offence, it seems you are comparing products of different price line,(2500 ukp Rectilux vs 1000 usd Anamophot), and I dont think this kind of comparison makes any sense.

As a user, I dont know HK9L glass or something really is, but the popularity of anamophot 1.33 has already proven its quality and market.

To be honest, I do believe your Rectilux may produce better image than many other lenses . However, few will agree the way you judge another product like this.

• 2 weeks later...

This lens is quite interesting. The SLR Magics are single focus, no?

For someone on a budget, would you all recommend waiting for this lense?  I was considering picking up a Kowa on ebay and was looking at the FM Module that has a thread in the anamorphic forum.  Still waiting on more info on the FM , but was interesting in the forum's opinion?

Wait for this 2x or go with the Kowa?  I assume the Kowa will have better optics, but i also know that the single focus adapter would degrade image quality anyway, so here we are!

This lens is quite interesting. The SLR Magics are single focus, no?

For someone on a budget, would you all recommend waiting for this lense?  I was considering picking up a Kowa on ebay and was looking at the FM Module that has a thread in the anamorphic forum.  Still waiting on more info on the FM , but was interesting in the forum's opinion?

Wait for this 2x or go with the Kowa?  I assume the Kowa will have better optics, but i also know that the single focus adapter would degrade image quality anyway, so here we are!

Yes. It will be single focus, just like the 1.33x SLR Magic adapter.

Personally, if I'd have the time to wait for it, I'd say go for the SLR Magic. There is a serious company making it, they have a proven track record with the 1.33x single focusing anamorphic adapter. I've seen some really good footage come out from that one, and I expect that they won't release this one unless it performs up to par with the 1.33x.

There is not much information available for the maker of the FM lens adapter. It's not a proven lens company behind it, it rather seems to be a small startup shop selling it. Which means no track record of previous products, not even a website yet - just a Facebook page with a tiny bit of info.

The FM lens adapter will need a rail system setup to be usable, while already the prototype of the SLR Magic can be attached directly to a taking lens, which means that the finalized product will most likely be the same. That's pretty useful for usability, if you want a lightweight / smaller rig.

Also, it has not verified yet, but looking at the released footage - it seems like the FM lens adapter single focusing has a long focus throw, which might make rack focus more difficult.

Timeframe: it seems like the FM lens and opening of the anamorphic shop website isn't too far away. I guess the FM lens module will be ready before the SLR Magic 2x is out.

I'm interested in getting the FM lens module - because I have an Isco Ultrastar already. I'm not expecting wonders with that combination though. I know what sharpness my Ultrastar can achieve, and the test footage shot with that one looked weirdly soft - like it almost reached infinity focus but not entirely. Not as sharp as when I've been using Ultra star + normal taking lenses. This could be an issue due to the test setup or not, hard to tell. Judging by the tests by anamorphic shop themselves, it seems like the Schneider is a good choice for pairing with the fm lens module at least.

If you can find a cheap Schneider to pair with the fm lens module, total cost will most likely be cheaper than the finalized SLR Magic. If you have the time to wait, I think the SLR Magic will be worth the added cost - mainly for usability, but probably for image quality as well.