Is it just me, or does anyone else think that new Oly 75mm 1.8 is overpriced?

emgesp

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
"But it's an optically superb lens."

So is the new Nikon 85mm 1.8, but Nikon isn't charging $900 for it and it's a full-frame lens too.  If this was a macro lens, or had IS I could understand the price, but it doesn't have either.

[quote author=christianhubbard link=topic=783.msg5662#msg5662 date=1338007994]
you're comparing it to an 85mm, and you should be comparing it to a 150mm.
[/quote]

No, because a 75mm lens is not built the same as a 150mm lens. It only has the same FOV as a 150mm lens on a Full Frame.  A fast 75mm lens is much cheaper to make than a fast 150mm lens.

[quote author=emgesp link=topic=783.msg5660#msg5660 date=1337996164]

So is the new Nikon 85mm 1.8, but Nikon isn't charging $900 for it and it's a full-frame lens too.  If this was a macro lens, or had IS I could understand the price, but it doesn't have either.
[/quote]

The new Nikon 85mm doesn't seem to be as sharp wide open.  It also has slower AF and a plastic body.  The 9 aperture blades on the 75mm should give a nicer bokeh vs the 7 blades on the Nikon. 

I don't think the pricing is that far off considering what you get.  But I do agree that some would be willing to sacrifice in some areas to get a lower price.

[quote author=hoodlum link=topic=783.msg5677#msg5677 date=1338087386]
[quote author=emgesp link=topic=783.msg5660#msg5660 date=1337996164]

[/quote]

The new Nikon 85mm doesn't seem to be as sharp wide open.  It also has slower AF and a plastic body.  The 9 aperture blades on the 75mm should give a nicer bokeh vs the 7 blades on the Nikon. 

I don't think the pricing is that far off considering what you get.  But I do agree that some would be willing to sacrifice in some areas to get a lower price.
[/quote]

The Nikon 85mm 1.8 might not be as sharp as the 75mm 1.8 at max aperture, but it's still sharp wide-open. Just check out these resolution scores. http://www.photozone.de/nikon--nikkor-aps-c-lens-tests/718-nikkorafs8518dx?start=1

• Administrators
I don't think it's overpriced.

Internal focussing
Very fast and silent AF
IS is in the body (and as I'm finding with my OM-D - it is f***ing good!!)
Very high build quality
Optical quality is outstanding from the reviews I've seen

A lens is a much more worthy investment than a camera body.

Would it be nicer if cheaper, of course. And I was expecting it to be a bit cheaper than it turned out to be... But there are good reasons for the high price.

Sometimes there isn't, and that is when something is classified as 'overpriced' for me.

[quote author=Andrew Reid link=topic=783.msg5694#msg5694 date=1338146058]
I don't think it's overpriced.

Internal focussing
Very fast and silent AF
IS is in the body (and as I'm finding with my OM-D - it is f***ing good!!)
Very high build quality
Optical quality is outstanding from the reviews I've seen

A lens is a much more worthy investment than a camera body.

Would it be nicer if cheaper, of course. And I was expecting it to be a bit cheaper than it turned out to be... But there are good reasons for the high price.

Sometimes there isn't, and that is when something is classified as 'overpriced' for me.
[/quote]

I just think it's priced that high because there isn't any competition in the 75mm 1.8 range for M/43 cameras.  It's basically the only option out there.  I'm not saying this lens should be cheap, just cheaper. It has a nice build quality and optics, but it's still just a 75mm 1.8 lens which is not that complicated to make compared to fast wide angles, or super telephotos.

[quote author=emgesp link=topic=783.msg5666#msg5666 date=1338029679]
[/quote]

No, because a 75mm lens is not built the same as a 150mm lens. It only has the same FOV as a 150mm lens on a Full Frame.  A fast 75mm lens is much cheaper to make than a fast 150mm lens.
[/quote]

Exactly.  Similarly the hood (not included) and lens cap should cost about the same as the ones for the Nikon 85mm 1.8, NOT a 150mm 1.8.  I hope no one is defending the $100 cost of the hood simply because we should be comparing it to a 150mm lens hood.

[quote author=mike_tee_vee link=topic=783.msg5712#msg5712 date=1338230065]
[quote author=emgesp link=topic=783.msg5666#msg5666 date=1338029679]
[/quote]

[/quote]

Exactly.  Similarly the hood (not included) and lens cap should cost about the same as the ones for the Nikon 85mm 1.8, NOT a 150mm 1.8.  I hope no one is defending the $100 cost of the hood simply because we should be comparing it to a 150mm lens hood.
[/quote]

LMAO, I didn't know the lens hood wasn't included. Ok, this is without a doubt one of the most overpriced lenses I've ever seen. $1,000 for a 75mm 1.8 with lens hood is ridiculous. I don't see why anyone would defend the price of this lens unless they make 6 figures a year.

• Administrators
Well I suppose with Olympus with their back to the wall financially, they have to drive up the margins somehow. A mere hood is a very unimaginative and poor value way of doing it, and people are rightly annoyed about it. But the lens itself is a gem especially on the EM-5 with IS.

Much of the price is due to current exchange rate / yen problems, not greed.