Canon 7D mk II video quality test

Guest Ebrahim Saadawi

Guest Ebrahim Saadawi

Finally!

http://reframe.gizmodo.com/comparing-7d-mark-ii-video-to-its-fellow-canon-dslrs-1636490542

-The 7D mk II solves the aliasing and moire issues just like the 5D mk III. No line skipping.

-Low light performance is improved by 1.5 to 2 stops from the 70D, approaching 5D mk III level,

-Resolution is not improved over the 5D mk III level, which was a bit disappointing on the 5D and sure is disappointing here.

All in all, this seems like a 5D mk III twin in terms of the image.

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

Hello. First post here on this fantastic site. 

I would be very nice indeed if someone could test the new 

clean, uncompressed HDMI video output in 8-bit 4:2:2 of this camera.

It's not 10 bit, but hey, a lot of readers of EOSHD have been asking

for this upgrade at the entry-level of Canon gear for quite some time

( I ignore if you can do this with a 5D Mark III and if it's worth the hassle)

Maybe then the 7D Mark II will it seem more palatable vs Sony and Panasonic?

ML is the one and only thing that could possibly make this useful as a cinema camera in 2015. But even then I think this camera is too little, too late. It's cutting edge 2012 DSLR video for the year 2014/2015. Like it was said, this camera will be on the market for several years and money would be better spent on something else now or next year that isn't so outdated out of the box.

It's primarily a still camera -- and will sell very well among sports photographers, a companion to 1Dx. Prosumers Video market is tiny, especially when there are dedicated/cheap camcorders anyway.

Even GH4 isn't that big seller-- that should tell us its pretty tiny market segment.  If anyone doubts that look at number of average daily users for GH2 and GH3 

https://www.flickr.com/cameras/panasonic/

Guest Ebrahim Saadawi

clean, uncompressed HDMI video output in 8-bit 4:2:2 of this camera.

( I ignore if you can do this with a 5D Mark III and if it's worth the hassle)

Yes Canon indeed introduced Clean HDMI out in the 5D mk III and it doesn't increase the quality in any way compared to internal recording. This will be similar.

It's primarily a still camera -- and will sell very well among sports photographers, a companion to 1Dx. Prosumers Video market is tiny, especially when there are dedicated/cheap camcorders anyway.

Even GH4 isn't that big seller-- that should tell us its pretty tiny market segment.  If anyone doubts that look at number of average daily users for GH2 and GH3 

https://www.flickr.com/cameras/panasonic/

Huh... you're making up sales by looking at the number of daily users on a photography sharing website? You think the GH2 through GH4 are primarily stills cameras? If I go out to shoot stills I'll take my E-M1 with me. If I'm going to shoot video, which rather is a planned thing, not a daily occurence, I'd be more inclined to use one of the GH's or the BMPCC. If I was more serious about photography, wouldn't mind the bulk of it and had the money to spend, I'd just might go for a D810, 5DmkIII or something in that general direction with some nice glass. If I wanted quick snaps, I'd use a smartphone or the LX7, if I were on vacation travelling light, I'd be shooting with the FZ1000. It comes to me as no surprise for example that there are more people sharing their LX7 and FZ200 pictures, than stuff shot with a GH3 for example. The use is completely different, not to mention people don't just stop using their camera after half a year.

You can't really make any judgements on the sales of cameras if the data you're basing your assumption on comes from one particular website focused around photography.

I do however agree that the 7DmkII is primarily a stills camera and for that, it actually makes quite an ok camera, with some appealing features. Although even then it's nothing radical, nothing groundbreaking, and I have to agree with the naysayers... this is a little too late. If you want a Canon APS-C crop camera for fast tele shooting, then yes, this is the logical thing to look at. But it's a mashup between the original 7D and the 70D's internals and then adds a little other gooey stuff. But in terms of video... and we are on a video focused website here, why even bother? I really don't see the appeal here. If you see how the competition just keeps stepping up the game and then look at this 'increment', well, it starts to look insignificant. And having to rely on Magic Lantern to give the features people are looking for... well, that just won't do.

And I get that the fraction of people actually seriously using video on a dSLR is rather small, but to me it seems foolish not to go along with it anyways. I'm sure technically it's very well possible and in comparison to the competition they just seem stagnant. A T2i/550D used to be a nice affordable starters package for video and Canon could still be as relevant as they were back then if they'd continue to evolve. But how much better is a 700D really? The jump in relation to upgradepath is just way to small. I didn't expect the 7DmkII to be a videographers dream either, although, a significant upgrade on the videofront would've been nice. But I'd really like to see a 700D successor with a more forward focus towards video to become the present day's T2i/550D. But I don't think they care enough to pull something like that. 'Selling units against least effort', seems to be their motto. They'd rather throw on a different button, use another rubber coating and add some filters and sell it as the 'latest model'. Wow John. It's amazing. But wait! There's more! Well, actually, there's not. There never seems to be more with Canon. With Canon you can't.

You have a great pick of lenses and for taking stills it's pretty cool to look at some of their offerings, but for video... mweh. A shame really.