Beginner independent film maker. Need help and advice

Jbells123

Hello everyone, I am new to this site. It seems like something I should be part of, considering my interests. I am currently a senior in high school and I have been learning photography and film for a while now. I have made little 2-3 minute class videos in the past but it's time that I apply my knowledge to a 5 minute film. I have a problem with starting something and not finishing it, which I'm sure is probably common. I need to begin applying for some colleges in November and I can't think of a good video that would be different than others. I want to make something that shows the schools what I'm capable of doing, and what I have to offer but I can't get myself to just make it. I was also wondering what the recommended film tools are for an independent high school student like myself. I currently have a Canon 70D with an LED light attachment and a Vidpro XM-55 13- Piece Professional Video microphone. I also have a Manfrotto shoulder rig and a follow focus. I would like to buy a matte box under a low budget but like I said, I want to make sure I have the necessary tools to make a 5 min video with the right setup. Any thoughts?

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

What are your favourite films/shows? What inspires or brings out the most emotion in you, whether laughter or upsetting?

As with learning to play an instrument or learning a martial art, I believe you should start by mimicking what others have done that you think look great. I'm not saying make a carbon copy, but do something similar. Eventually you will grow to have your own style.

I would not think too much more about what equipment you need as it hinders your creative potential. But I will say that you will probably need an ND filter in order to shoot at the correct shutter speed. You should also know that the led light will generally be better used placed off-camera.

• 3 weeks later...

Make a silent film and tell a story where two characters are always in sillohette.

Seriously. Make THAT happen. Forget the technical. It doesn't matter. Work the craft. Force yourself to consider silhouette and learn to look at light.

Start with unusual, fun, circumstances and work backwards from there. Limitations are a weirdly ironic avenue for creativity.

Obstructionism is a common exercise for artists.

• 1 month later...

I apologize for the really late response. I have started working on quite a few projects, and that one about the silhouettes sounds like a fantastic idea. Right now, I'm finding a bit of difficulty really being creative. I mean I have had some ideas, but the colleges want to see the inner me I guess you can say. I don't want to overdo it though.

I know my advice may sound far-fetched, but for many it might be basic. Watch, if available, the new cinematic release The Salt of The Earth:

Here is why: 

The outside world is full of drama, of things so stirring, shocking and touching, nobody could have invented them.

Why people don't notice? 

They deiberately allowed their senses to numb.

A very strong motivation for 'aspiring fimmakers' may be to force people to share a vision. To impress them.

More often than not, as everybody can see, these filmmakers have a grandiose attitude. They want to be the inventors, the creators. But that's futile. It makes all their efforts pretentious, embarrassing.

The authentic attitude towards any subject is that of a good witness with sharp senses and a sensitive mind. No matter if the subject is fictional or, eh, real.

What juries of film schools try to see in candidates' 5-minute-films is not technical perfectionism or an ability to mimick others. 

fuzzynormal:

Make a silent film and tell a story where two characters are always in sillohette.

I wouldn't limit my possibilities too much, but the advice with the silent movie adresses one of the biggest problem of most amateurish films: Music. Don't let music express what you are trying to say. Don't use music!

• 2 weeks later...