newly announced 10.5mm Nokton from Voigtlander Micro 4/3 mount

andy lee

newly announced 10.5mm Nokton from Voigtlander Micro 4/3 mount

f0.95 nice and wide for GH4 and BMPCC users

have a look here at the spec, they have yet to post a photo of the lens

http://voigtlaender.com/10%2c5-mm-f-0%2c95-nokton.html

Andrew if you get time can you have a look at this at Photokina as its a nice lens for Panny/BMPCC users on this forum.

Mathew Duclos of Duclos lenses has this pics of it

https://matthewduclos.files.wordpress.com/2014/09/img_7331-0.png?w=700

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

You could've followed 43rumors (although beware of the rumors, lol xD)...

I've already seen some pictures of it mounted on cameras there: http://www.43rumors.com/first-real-world-images-of-the-new-nokton-105mm-f0-95-lens/ which in turn came from ePhotozine: http://www.ephotozine.com/article/voitglander-nokton-10-5mm-f-0-95-aspherical-lens-announced-26203 .

Pretty awesome lens, but will probably have a pretty hefty price for which you could've bought yourself a LX100, all sorts of extras and a city trip.

Well if you consider the cropfactor on the BMPCC and GH4 in 4K, this is finally a lens that enables you to shoot at a somewhat normal wideangle that would've been easy to achieve on a fullframe, but very hard with any lenses on a MFT body. Surely there's the Oly 12mm f/2 which perhaps comes as close as can be, or you could opt for the 11-16mm f/2.8 Tokina or something like that, or maybe even a Rokinon/Samyang/Walimex Pro/... although those are pretty extreme fisheye, but 10.5mm f/0.95, I think they might've just hit a sweetspot, that's a real treat! I'm just curious about the pricing. If it's around 849 EUR it would be interesting. Anything above 1000 EUR would take some long consideration.

• 4 years later...

Anyone has experience about matching this lens with Tokina 28-70 Pro1 f/2.6-2.8 ???

I’m looking for a good wide lens, something between 12mm and 20mm to be used on BMPCC-4K w/ speedbooster XL 0.64x (actually in preorder)
On super35 Canon Eos Cinema cameras I usually use Nikon AFS 17-35mm and 28-80mm but for the new setup I'd like to take advantage of the magic cine-feel of the Tokina. do you have any advice about a lens with similar contrast, color rendition of Tokina.

What do you think of these alternatives:
SLR Magic 8mm f / 4.0 Ultra Wide (MFT mount)
SLR Magic 10mm T / 2.1 (MFT mount)
Voigtlander Nokton 10.5 or 17.5mm f / 0.95 (MFT mount)
Zeiss Jena Flektogon 20mm f / 4 Zebra (Pentacon-six mount)

Thanks for your attention

Gabriele

4 hours ago, gfiuso said:

Anyone has experience about matching this lens with Tokina 28-70 Pro1 f/2.6-2.8 ???

I’m looking for a good wide lens, something between 12mm and 20mm to be used on BMPCC-4K w/ speedbooster XL 0.64x (actually in preorder)
On super35 Canon Eos Cinema cameras I usually use Nikon AFS 17-35mm and 28-80mm but for the new setup I'd like to take advantage of the magic cine-feel of the Tokina. do you have any advice about a lens with similar contrast, color rendition of Tokina.

What do you think of these alternatives:
SLR Magic 8mm f / 4.0 Ultra Wide (MFT mount)
SLR Magic 10mm T / 2.1 (MFT mount)
Voigtlander Nokton 10.5 or 17.5mm f / 0.95 (MFT mount)
Zeiss Jena Flektogon 20mm f / 4 Zebra (Pentacon-six mount)

I own the SLR Magic 8mm F4 and the Voigtlander 17.5 F0.95, but don't own the Tokina so can't compare.

The SLR Magic is a drone lens, so it's tiny and not designed for use on a normal camera. Here it is on the GH5 with microphone.

IMG_3506.thumb.JPG.eaddc0412d48e3c28371ff90a7149a75.JPG

What this means is that the focus and aperture rings aren't really that usable during a shot.  The difficulty of use for the aperture ring isn't really a big deal as f4 isn't that shallow DOF unless you're focussing really close, so it's almost like a softness control - f4 is a little soft, f8 is sharper, and f16 is softer again.  The focus ring has a locking pin so when you mount it to your drone the focus stays where you set it, but when you loosen that screw the ring has no friction at all.  Also, the ring itself is only a few mm wide so you can't grip it and that's why there is a pin attached to it which you kind of use as a little handle.  It also has only a quarter turn between 10cm and infinity, with only a tiny distance between 1m and infinity, so getting accurate focus isn't that easy, but as it's f4 it's less of a problem than you'd think.  It's really a very fancy version of a fixed lens.  

Having said all that, mine has taken some lovely shots and it's the cheapest non-fisheye around:

India-1_1_29.1.thumb.jpg.f937b566efa6cb577d01b564d8868eb7.jpg

India-2_1_33.1.thumb.jpg.8fc3674595d7ec5c090a60e03a2985a5.jpg

I'm contemplating replacing it with the (more expensive) Laowa 7.5mm F2 to get more light.  I only use this lens for wide shots that need that WOW, so the ergonomics don't bother me that much.  I was also planning to try vlogging style of filming myself but it turns out that's harder than it looks and I need lots more practice.  It's easier to focus closer to you, so I think the focus would be fine for that.

The Voigtlander is the exact opposite of the SLR.  It is large, heavy, fast, and an absolute pleasure to use.  This is my main lens on my GH5 at a 35mm FF equivalent length.  The aperture ring can be de-clicked (you just rotate the ring next to the aperture ring on the lens) and is lovely to use.  The focus ring is huge, easy to find by feel and is so smooth it's hard to imagine that anything could be smoother than it in the whole world.  It feels great in the hand, and looks spectacular through the viewfinder.

It is two lenses in one, at f0.95 it's quite soft, but (just like most super-fast lenses) by the time you stop it down a couple of stops it hits full sharpness.  

Pretty sure this is wide-open:

1002543976_ScreenShot2018-12-29at10_06_52am.png.48651f26fa53a0899babde2cce5089de.png

There is a great comparison of the entire MFT lens lineups from Panasonic vs Olympus vs Voigtlander here:

1. Part 1: https://www.thehurlblog.com/cinematography-online-micro-four-thirds-lenses/
  2. Part 2: https://www.thehurlblog.com/cinematography-micro-43-lenses/
  3. Part 3: https://www.thehurlblog.com/film-school-online-micro-43-lenses-3/

Each lens set was tested in sequence, so if you want the comparisons of the three then you want part 3.

I think they did a dis-service to the Voigtlander in these tests because they tested them at F5.6, F2.8, and wide-open.  The Voigtlander is softer at 0.95 than the Panasonic at 1.7, but what they don't show you is that the Voigt at f1.7 would have killed the Panasonic at 1.7.  The Olympus just looks strange in those tests to me - not 3D at all, so I eliminated it instantly.

Hope this helps.

On 2/25/2019 at 2:54 AM, kye said:

I own the SLR Magic 8mm F4 and the Voigtlander 17.5 F0.95, but don't own the Tokina so can't compare.

The SLR Magic is a drone lens, so it's tiny and not designed for use on a normal camera. Here it is on the GH5 with microphone.

IMG_3506.thumb.JPG.eaddc0412d48e3c28371ff90a7149a75.JPG

What this means is that the focus and aperture rings aren't really that usable during a shot.  The difficulty of use for the aperture ring isn't really a big deal as f4 isn't that shallow DOF unless you're focussing really close, so it's almost like a softness control - f4 is a little soft, f8 is sharper, and f16 is softer again.  The focus ring has a locking pin so when you mount it to your drone the focus stays where you set it, but when you loosen that screw the ring has no friction at all.  Also, the ring itself is only a few mm wide so you can't grip it and that's why there is a pin attached to it which you kind of use as a little handle.  It also has only a quarter turn between 10cm and infinity, with only a tiny distance between 1m and infinity, so getting accurate focus isn't that easy, but as it's f4 it's less of a problem than you'd think.  It's really a very fancy version of a fixed lens.  

Having said all that, mine has taken some lovely shots and it's the cheapest non-fisheye around:

India-1_1_29.1.thumb.jpg.f937b566efa6cb577d01b564d8868eb7.jpg

India-2_1_33.1.thumb.jpg.8fc3674595d7ec5c090a60e03a2985a5.jpg

I'm contemplating replacing it with the (more expensive) Laowa 7.5mm F2 to get more light.  I only use this lens for wide shots that need that WOW, so the ergonomics don't bother me that much.  I was also planning to try vlogging style of filming myself but it turns out that's harder than it looks and I need lots more practice.  It's easier to focus closer to you, so I think the focus would be fine for that.

The Voigtlander is the exact opposite of the SLR.  It is large, heavy, fast, and an absolute pleasure to use.  This is my main lens on my GH5 at a 35mm FF equivalent length.  The aperture ring can be de-clicked (you just rotate the ring next to the aperture ring on the lens) and is lovely to use.  The focus ring is huge, easy to find by feel and is so smooth it's hard to imagine that anything could be smoother than it in the whole world.  It feels great in the hand, and looks spectacular through the viewfinder.

It is two lenses in one, at f0.95 it's quite soft, but (just like most super-fast lenses) by the time you stop it down a couple of stops it hits full sharpness.  

Pretty sure this is wide-open:

1002543976_ScreenShot2018-12-29at10_06_52am.png.48651f26fa53a0899babde2cce5089de.png

There is a great comparison of the entire MFT lens lineups from Panasonic vs Olympus vs Voigtlander here:

1. Part 1: https://www.thehurlblog.com/cinematography-online-micro-four-thirds-lenses/
  2. Part 2: https://www.thehurlblog.com/cinematography-micro-43-lenses/
  3. Part 3: https://www.thehurlblog.com/film-school-online-micro-43-lenses-3/

Each lens set was tested in sequence, so if you want the comparisons of the three then you want part 3.

I think they did a dis-service to the Voigtlander in these tests because they tested them at F5.6, F2.8, and wide-open.  The Voigtlander is softer at 0.95 than the Panasonic at 1.7, but what they don't show you is that the Voigt at f1.7 would have killed the Panasonic at 1.7.  The Olympus just looks strange in those tests to me - not 3D at all, so I eliminated it instantly.

Hope this helps.

Thanks Kye