Sony A7S Skin Tone Test

Gonzalo Ezcurra

Sony A7S + Gonzalo Ezcurra Custom Picture Profile + 60's Canon FL Lens + Tamron Macro + 2 MiniCyclops takes.
Quick & unbusinesslike test - basic lighting interiors & w/o in outdoors - Full Frame mode - XAVC-S - without Slog 2 - N/R off 
Basics post & color grading
Models with self makeup / hair / costume / "art" 
Zero crew production: Only Camera operator & Models.
Produced, photographed, directed and post-produce: Gonzalo Ezcurra

* Download at Full HD h.264 @ 18Mbps / Link para bajarlo con calidad en Full HD h.264 a 18Mbps, pues mi vimeo gratuito solo tira 720p y lo recomprime a menos de 4Mbps: mediafire.com/download/5ssckrhvmrwsr1a/Gonzalo_Ezcurra_PP_A7S.rar

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
Hi HiFF: Thanks! The camera setting Starting of PP5 with Gamma Cine1 and from there, trial and error with all options... depends on the type of light used (daylight or tungsten)...   The profiles that come from the factory with the camera are useless ... the image turns to yellow and green... especially Color "Cinema". I do not give prescriptions or formula, it is a matter of visual taste, and depends on the light ... 

Hi Inazuma: Basics post & color grading in After FX: ±3% White Balance / Hue and a bit of saturation.

Very nice, Gonzalo. I'm also obsessed with proper skin tones

and relieved that the A7s can deliver natural looks (I'm planning it as future purchase). 

I also see you used a third-party lens and got great results. 

Couple of questions: Have you used Sony's native FF lenses? Do you believe they can render similar results?

Thanks!

(Saludos desde México)

would also love to know the settings ;)

I believe alot of people would like to know to play around with it. But he has only given the basic and you need to figure out the rest to your taste.

Here is a popular setting that doesn't use S-Log that you can fine tune if needed.

Black Level: +10
Gamma: Cine2
Black Gamma: Wide, +5
Knee: 75%, -1
Color Mode: Cinema
Saturation -1
Color Phase +1
Color Depth: R+6, G-4, B+2, C+1, M+1, Y-1
Detail: Level…+4, Adjust…B/W Type3, Limit 7

• 2 weeks later...

No problem! I thought these forums were to share information and not the tight lipped approach some have.  Anyway, I am always looking for alternatives to Slog. I don't like restricting myself to 3200 ISO+, so if you find something you like, please post.

Thanks!

OP's footage looks nice, really strange he's not sharing his settings though....... Also I agree with you, that's what  the community is for.

Most people that get good results don't actually want to share all the secret tips. It's actually quite normal. It's about competition and being better at certain stuff than other people.

You sir must fear your own shadow...........

OP clearly said he graded in post, were just looking for good general settings. If you have good work you don't need to "fear" anyone. Also OP acting like it's some secret magic then what's the point......

Also much respect to Bloom, Andrew and working cinematographers in the film industry (Shane) who actually share great information

Good work on both videos!

However, I don't see anything super special with the skin tones in the color video.  It just looks like it was well exposed and nicely graded, with some interesting lighting in a couple of shots and with excellent moves/expressions from the models (which is 90% of the battle).  High speed certainly helps with the "sexiness" of the feel.

In regards to the brief black & white video, it looks like there could be reduced red channel and/or boosted green (and possibly blue) channel in the B&W conversion.  Gotta be careful with such a technique, because, although it can darken skin in a nice way and make blue forearm veins disappear, subtracting red and/or boosting green gives more contrast to red blemishes.  Boosting blue can also increase noise.