A GH4 in your pocket - Panasonic LX100 with 4K and Micro Four Thirds sensor

Andrew Reid

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

Looks like no built-in ND.  Does this thing have screw-in filter threads, and if so, what diameter?

I have 77mm vari ND filters and planning to get 43mm to 77mm adapter rings.

For me it's not the lack of ND though. If this has the same sensor and internals of GH4, how come it doesn't have 96fps slow-motion? Should be straightforward to include. 

Yeah, I looked for that right after I posted it was just that the USA page didn't have any info about the LX100, only the interviews, so I looked up in the Australian page.

I was a bit disappointed because I expected at least GH3's codec for FHD.

http://www.panasonic.com/uk/consumer/cameras-camcorders/lumix-digital-cameras---point-and-shoot/compact-cameras/dmc-lx100.specs.html

f = 10.9 - 34mm/(24 - 75mm in 35mm equiv in 4:3, 3:2, 16:9)

/(28 - 88mm in 35mm equiv. in 1:1)

/(28 - 87mm in 35mm equiv. in 4:3 in 4K Photo recording)

/(27 - 84mm in 35mm equiv. in 3:2 in 4K Photo recording)

/(26 - 81mm in 35mm equiv. in 16:9 in 4K video / 4K Photo recording)

/(32 - 101mm in 35mm equiv. in 1:1 in 4K Photo recording)

Also interesting:

Continuous recordable time (motion pictures) AVCHD Approx. 120 min (FHD/50p), Approx. 125 min (FHD/50i) MP4 Approx. 90 min (4K/25p), Approx. 120 min (FHD/50p)

Actual recordable time (motion pictures) AVCHD Approx. 60 min (FHD/50p), Approx. 60 min (FHD/50i) MP4 Approx. 45 min (4K/25p), Approx. 60 min (FHD/50p)

but in the same time:

NOTE - Maximum time to record motion pictures continuously with [MP4] in [4K] is 15 minutes.

What's wrong with your language people?!! I don't get this english bubble... :D

Continuous recordable time (motion pictures) ≠ Actual recordable time (motion pictures)  ≠ Maximum time to record motion pictures continuously

UHD looks like GH4 quality: 3840 x 2160 pixels, 24p (4K: 100Mbps / MP4), but FHD not: 24p (FHD: 24Mbps / AVCHD)

I found those but I was looking for variable ND as it's more practical and I could only find bigger threads or lower quality ND. But I still want to know if that cap accessory allows you to use a filter or not.

Tiffen make superb 43mm ND filters so no problems there use them !

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Tiffen-43ND6-Neutral-Density-Filter/dp/B0000AQJAN

with ND 2, 4 , 8 and 16 you have it all covered - just stack them when needed

It is smaller so maybe because of overheating it is limited to 15min 4k, doesn't have 200Mbit FHD and 96fps.. Or they are just protecting gh4.

I know that a 4/3 sensor is bigger than the 1" used by Sony on the RX100, but if the RX100 is proportionally smaller and it can do slow motion, I would think that having slow motion should be possible on the LX100. And otherwise you could simply allow it by a limited time, which is very ok for that purpose, you wouldn't shoot long footages for slow motion anyway. So, maybe, if Pansonic feel like it, they could allow it via firmware update.

Will follow closely the reviews of this camera. Specially one from Andrew, when possible.

I was planning to buy the 12-35mm f2.8 to shoot handheld with my GX7, because of the OIS. But as stated previously, this camera have a lens with better specs with OIS AND records 4k for a lower price than the 12-35mm alone. I guess that the 12-35mm f2.8 might have a better optical performance for stills, but probably not a lot for video.

Will miss the flip screen, and touchscreen will be missed for stills - but I have better cameras for stills.

And to people which wants a single "do it all" camera, it one of the best packages on the market. Very good, Panasonic.

That's actually a great idea because I was planning on buying the 12-35 as well.  this could be a better option.

Will follow closely the reviews of this camera. Specially one from Andrew, when possible.

I was planning to buy the 12-35mm f2.8 to shoot handheld with my GX7, because of the OIS. But as stated previously, this camera have a lens with better specs with OIS AND records 4k for a lower price than the 12-35mm alone. I guess that the 12-35mm f2.8 might have a better optical performance for stills, but probably not a lot for video.

Will miss the flip screen, and touchscreen will be missed for stills - but I have better cameras for stills.

And to people which wants a single "do it all" camera, it one of the best packages on the market. Very good, Panasonic.

As far as i understand it is a touchscreen - tilting screen is missin of course - but you can alkways use a Smartphone and the lumix app to control it -or preview from a difficult angle.

It is not touchscreen. They made a mistake on dpreview:

http://***URL removed***/previews/panasonic-lumix-dmc-lx100?utm_campaign=internal-link&utm_source=features-default&utm_medium=homepage-block&ref=features-default

Here's what I think is interesting about this camera. Panasonic is reducing the number of interchangeable lens lines that it has. The GF has gone, there won't be a successor to the G6 or GX7 (if we can believe anything on 43rumors....), so in future it will just be GH and GM. 

And this cam, the LX100, is the missing midrange cam, which inherits many of the exciting features from the flagship. This is where the GX8 or whatever should have been. And Panasonic is saying to us, how much do you really need to swap lenses around? Do you really enjoy messing around with adaptors, carrying heavy glass around etc etc? Because we're going to offer you the camera and the lens, for the same amount as you would have paid just for the lens, and in a package that is somehow pocketable. It's a kind of test. Is the flexibility of an interchangeable lens system so important to you that you would pass up a deal like this?

I was weighing up buying a GH4 and the 12-35 2.8. Now I think I'll just get this.

Been thinking about getting GH4 also (stepping from 550d finally). If everything is great in real life like on the paper and preview it will be superb. No tilting screen - can live without it. One worry only that I won't be able to use fisheye lens. Are there any good wide angle converters out there? And other question is it full manual while recording movie?

I'm planning to buy the new LX100 but would like to be able to use 30FPS in video modes because 30FPS is better for motion and I have a large 4k monitor hooked to my computer that only allows for 3840x2160@30Hz, so 25p video is not best option for keeping zero frames dropped and a more natual motion for videos.
Since the LX100 for NTSC countries allow this 4K@30FPs why can't we have the same power for the same model in Europe?
I know 24FPS is universal from a compatibility standpoint, but that's not the point.
I've been using an LX7 for the past few years and even the 1080p25 video mode can't use 1/25 exposure with auto-focus mode (just 1/30 or faster shutter speeds).
So before commiting to this new LX100, I'd like to see if there is any way to select PAL / NTSC mode in LX100, or can I flash a NTSC firmware in LX100, or if I import an NTSC LX100 is the warranty still valid in Europe..

It would be also nice to have 4096x2160p24 video mode using closer to 24mm from lens instead of 3840x2160p30/25 using just 26mm of the 24mm widest angle lens can get.

So to sum up, it has mostly everything we want:

-Most desired 4k uhd and 1080p modes ( no variable framerates/slomo above 60p though)
-Peaking
-Zebras
-Time lapse - which can be converted to a 1080
Movie inside camera while keeping the full res jpegs/raw
-Shutter modes to get 180 degree shutter
-Clean hdmi out (?)
-4k photo mode - which is great for events
I hope it has cine d/v - but I doubt that
-43mm filter thread ( hope this is true) so we can put on some nd's or a uv filter instead of a lens cap protecting the lens.

What else?

Yeah, it pretty much closes perfection when you want a nice allrounder to carry around on a daily basis, with photography in the forground.

I do think it's aimed more for those how shoot photos first and occasional videos second. The 4K feature might suggest otherwise, but that's more or less is becoming Panasonics standard now.

I'd love to have seen a tilty flippy touchscreen and an audio interface (mic in, headphone out) to really give it some proper videolove.

But anyways, this is the kind of thing I was still missing. Well, not missing, because I do have the pretty excellent LX7, but the LX100 is about 14 times more like it! :P

Btw. Is the actual LX7-successor still coming? Wasn't there supposed to be a premium compact LX8 with 1" sensor, 24-90 f/2-f/2.8 lens, 4K video, flippy tilty type touchscreenie, 5-axis stabilization, built-in EVF, built-in ND filter, auto lenscap, etc? Haven't heard anything about that one for a long time... they scratched that one completely?