A GH4 in your pocket - Panasonic LX100 with 4K and Micro Four Thirds sensor

Andrew Reid

• Administrators
Panasonic LX100

The Panasonic LX100 is an engineering marvel. Along with the Apple Watch this has been the most impressive feat of miniaturisation of 2014 so far. To take both of these products travelling would be extremely liberating relative to taking a clunky DSLR and a standard smartphone. If the application of the technology is impressive, wait to you see what is being applied. The specs are outstanding for a camera of this kind, with the large Micro Four Thirds sensor of the GH4 sitting behind a Leica 24-75mm F1.7-2.8 lens, with 4K video, 11fps continuous shooting, and the same 4 core image processor as the GH4.

Read the full article here

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

I've been waiting for the photkina a lot, as i was feeling good things were coming (besides winter i mean ;) And the LX100 sure looks like it !

Andrew i have a question. As a photographer, i'm getting rid of my 5DmkII and glass, to go much more into analog. Indeed for the past fews months all i've shot is film on a Bessa R3A + Zeiss and Leica glass. So, in a way i'm quite demanding on the quality of picture front. But i thought i should have a small digital, for those snaps you want to share right away. My choice was to go with a Sony RX100 mkIII, that i can have all the time with me. It's small, it has an EVF, a large sensor (for the size) wide aperture, wifi+nfc, good quality video, good picture quality overall, and, possibility of timelapse via an app. All those things are the things i'm looking for.
Do you think that a should wait for the LX100 more than go with a rx100mkIII. That it has everything the rx has, but better ?

Thanks a lot, i can't wait your review to come out ! ;)

full on retro dials on the top ! is that an exposure compensation dial +1+2+3?? !!

not seen one of those for years my old Pentax ME SUPER had one of those, it's very useful!!

Andy, you really need to get a hold of an A7 series camera.   I think you would love them.

The LX100 is going to replace my GX7 I think and be a nice second camera to my ordinary A7.

I can't quite agree that the Apple's Watch is that impressive but this LX100 certainly is. LOL.

I do get some of the reasons of why Panasonic chose not to, but I'm disappointed in not having built-in ND filter like the LX7 had and like the LX100's competitors have. The camera has a 43mm filter thread though, I did a quick research and it doesn't appear to exist a lot of good quality ND for that filter thread, so it would need an adapter. This makes me wonder if even at 43mm, can you use that auto-cap accessory with the camera?

I also wished it had at least a tiltable screen or a mic input, but I guess they don't want this camera to get into GH4's territory. I get it not having mic input since this is already quite a feat for its size and neither the RX100 has it. But the tiltable screen is less excusable since the RX100 didn't have one but the next two generations have and there is little to no bulk added. So Panasonic could had added that without compromising the size and compactness of the camera and that would be quite handy for video.

Despite all that, it it performs as it should I will probably buy one but it makes less sense to use video and 4K as a selling point and not give the proper support for it. I also hope that just like they did with the FZ1000, they can add some new feat, including more framerates.

The good, it's really a great camera. Faster than I would think it would be before the rumors, with a bigger sensor, packed with feats. Differently from Sony's zoom lens in the RX100 - all of them - Panasonic's lens design does not lose the aperture as fast while you zoom in, the curve is more gradual. The most surprising part is the dials layout borrowed from recent Fuji X cameras, I always wished more manufacturers would use that, for me it's so much more intuitive and quicker.

It seems like the UHD will come from the 3840x2160 portion of the sensor but the 1080p output might come from a higher resolution of 4480 x 2520 since it would have less crop. I don't know, I wonder what the options are going to be like. How will the 10.9-34mm behave like in the UHD crop? Something like 28-90mm?

It seems like the UHD will come from the 3840x2160 portion of the sensor but the 1080p output might come from a higher resolution of 4480 x 2520 since it would have less crop. I don't know, I wonder what the options are going to be like. How will the 10.9-34mm behave like in the UHD crop? Something like 28-90mm?

http://www.panasonic.com/uk/consumer/cameras-camcorders/lumix-digital-cameras---point-and-shoot/compact-cameras/dmc-lx100.specs.html

f = 10.9 - 34mm/(24 - 75mm in 35mm equiv in 4:3, 3:2, 16:9)

/(28 - 88mm in 35mm equiv. in 1:1)

/(28 - 87mm in 35mm equiv. in 4:3 in 4K Photo recording)

/(27 - 84mm in 35mm equiv. in 3:2 in 4K Photo recording)

/(26 - 81mm in 35mm equiv. in 16:9 in 4K video / 4K Photo recording)

/(32 - 101mm in 35mm equiv. in 1:1 in 4K Photo recording)

Also interesting:

Continuous recordable time (motion pictures) AVCHD Approx. 120 min (FHD/50p), Approx. 125 min (FHD/50i) MP4 Approx. 90 min (4K/25p), Approx. 120 min (FHD/50p)

Actual recordable time (motion pictures) AVCHD Approx. 60 min (FHD/50p), Approx. 60 min (FHD/50i) MP4 Approx. 45 min (4K/25p), Approx. 60 min (FHD/50p)

but in the same time:

NOTE - Maximum time to record motion pictures continuously with [MP4] in [4K] is 15 minutes.

What's wrong with your language people?!! I don't get this english bubble... :D

Continuous recordable time (motion pictures) ≠ Actual recordable time (motion pictures)  ≠ Maximum time to record motion pictures continuously

UHD looks like GH4 quality: 3840 x 2160 pixels, 24p (4K: 100Mbps / MP4), but FHD not: 24p (FHD: 24Mbps / AVCHD)