Canon 7D Mark II video specs vs the enthusiast DSLR competition (GH4, A7S, 5D3)

Andrew Reid

• Administrators

While the camera doesn't offer much more for video shooters, photographers will find plenty to do using the wide range of EF glass available - now with dual pixel AF, making it ideal for sports and wildlife.

This is a video site. I'm amazed you haven't noticed that fundamental principal of EOSHD yet :)

And what Canon marketing stuff have you been reading that makes you think dual-pixel AF is fast enough for sports stills shooting?

Have you used it? Dual pixel AF is still mega slow. The 70D's standard phase detect sensor via optical viewfinder shits on it, as does the GH4's contrast detect based system.

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
  • Administrators

I don't think it'll be received poorly

I don't think it is good enough to reverse a halving of DSLR shipments in the last 2 years though.

A lot of 7D owners have already upgraded. 6D, 70D, 5D Mark III, or if they're a video user then a Cinema EOS camera, and if they can't afford that they many of them will have already jumped ship from Canon altogether for a GH4 or a Sony A7-something.

• Administrators

The issue with high end APS-C stuff is that it has reached the end of the road, certainly with regards pricing, because why shoot APS-C if you can get a full frame camera for the same price?

It defies the whole point of APS-C existing, which is to offer a lower price than full frame.

Canon's APS-C lens range is rather lacking too. Nothing faster than an F2.8. A lot of people have EF primes, even full frame zooms and they are using them on an APS-C sensor which is nuts. Once these users realise the benefit of full frame sometime during their deliberations on whether to drop nearly $2k on an APS-C camera they will not be buying a 7D Mark II I can promise you that.

The AF system is just about the only thing it has going for it and even that's a minor difference to the other high end Canon DSLRs.

I don't think it is good enough to reverse a halving of DSLR shipments in the last 2 years though.

A lot of 7D owners have already upgraded. 6D, 70D, 5D Mark III, or if they're a video user then a Cinema EOS camera, and if they can't afford that they many of them will have already jumped ship from Canon altogether for a GH4 or a Sony A7-something.

Even if it was super fantastic the price point it's at means it won't do that either - I'd say 70-80% of DSLR shipments come from your triple digit EOS cameras and D5x00s and below.

The problem right now is that really, for the mass market, image quality is so good people have no reason to buy another camera... and some are downgrading to smartphones because it's so much easier to use, edit and share images and video with.

The issue with high end APS-C stuff is that it has reached the end of the road, certainly with regards pricing, because why shoot APS-C if you can get a full frame camera for the same price?

The AF system is just about the only thing it has going for it and even that's a minor difference to the other high end Canon DSLRs.

Well, a GH4 costs as much as a FF DSLR, why would people buy that, right? It's about having the right set of specs and features, and that goes beyond the sensor size.

The AF system and frame rate is a big deal for still action shooters though; the 6D's AF system is simply miserable in comparison.