Canon 7D Mark II video specs vs the enthusiast DSLR competition (GH4, A7S, 5D3)

Andrew Reid

• Administrators
Canon 7D Mark II video specs

The 7D Mark II was the first truly enthusiast HD-SLR. How does the 7D Mark II look alongside the competition for enthusiast video shooting in 2014?

I've selected the key video specs an enthusiast or aspiring filmmaker will look at in 2014 and compared the 7D Mark II with the three best cameras for video in 2014, the Panasonic GH4, Sony A7S and 5D Mark III.

Read the full article here

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
Guest Ebrahim Saadawi

I am willing to give up 4K if it delivers clean 1080p. Peaking/zebras/14bit raw internal and all that good stuff are coming anyway. Just give me a good 1080p-like image, detailed, with no moire or aliasing. We've been waiting for an upgrade from the rebels/60D/70D/7D/5Dii as Canon shooters so I hope this finally delivers a good s35 Canon video camera. If it has the same video quality as the 70D, it will be a clear sign from Canon abandoning the filmmaking market, but I do have hope as they claim that while the sensor has similar mp count it's a completely new sensor re-designed from the ground up with new microlens technology to improve light gathering efficiency, coupled with the new Digic 6 process first seen on a Canon that they claim it makes a 2 full stops increase in Low-light performance and significant improvement in the detail...

Video samples... Don't disappoint us Canon...  

Guest Ebrahim Saadawi

That makes zero sense.

4K = clean 1080p!!

Also clean 1080p = clean 1080p.

I would have loved it to be 4K but I am willing to give up that if it deliver a good 1080p image, closer to C100-level detail and cleanness.

Anyone can see the above posted video sample? I am on an iphone so can't. Can anybody spot aliasing for starters??

wow.  that youtube sample looks pretty bad for an official advert for the video capabilities.  looks like its trying to sell a camera like this based on its low light capabilities.  While the A7S is still rolling off people;s tongues it's like trying to palm off a 10 year old F1 car as something current.  My 8 bit xavc footage seems like a distict step up from previous 8bit footage i have been shooting with - even when uploaded and crushed by vimeo.  why does this look so nasty on the gradations?   Then onto the daytime stuff and there is no dynamic range.

I'm blown away how such a large production budget could be lowered in value by the camera and lens system.  cries out 'man with a stills camera on a film set' to me. 

Shame.  i expected at least a lovely 1080p image like we see from the c100

I'm very happy I sold all my Canon equipment and lenses to switch to Panasonic in April.
With G6 I can use old Canon FD lenses, with my Canon 70d I could'nt!
And now, with GH4 I'm really more then happy!

It's all thanks to Andrew, because I started to think to m4/3 after I saw some videos of Berlin! :)

7d MkII?? What we are talkin' about?! ;)

Remember the 7D II is a stills camera. If you look around the comments sections of photography sites it generally appears to be a very exciting release. Us video shooters have plenty of other options, so there's not much point in an article boo hooing about how it's lacking in the video department - 80% of the camera's target audience couldn't care less. All they need is 1080p - and even then there's plenty to be going on with what with all the different framerates and codec modes available on it.

EOSHD Notes: The 7D Mark II’s video specs closely resemble the 5D Mark III (out of the box), which was a disappointment in 2012.

Do they? If that's true, that would be reasonably nice for a generic Canikon dSLR. 

The spec sheet provided (so far) gave me the impression that 7D Mark 2 = 7D Mark 1 + 70D. Compared to that, the 5D3 specs would be an improvement, wouldn't it.