Big news - Samsung NX1 with 4K, 24p and **H.265 HVEC codec**

Andrew Reid

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

This is from the Metabones FAQ:

"Will Samsung NX cameras be supported?

No. Unfortunately, it is not possible to fit the optics inside the Samsung NX mount owing to flange distance and physical interference issues."

with this camera having a super 35mm / APSC size sensor I personally would not be bothered using a speedbooster at all ever .

as I want all  my lenses to be used at the super 35 'field of view' so I'm in cinema lens territory .

I'm not into approximating full frame field of view with a speed booster .

So for me this camera is fine as is.

with this camera having a super 35mm / APSC size sensor I personally would not be bothered using a speedbooster at all ever .

as I want all  my lenses to be used at the super 35 'field of view' so I'm in cinema lens terratory .

Im not into approximating full frame field of view with a speed booster .

So for me this camera is fine as is.

It would be fine for me too, but I wonder how well the existing NX lenses perform on this body. We'll have to wait and see, as we don't have too many options here.

Bombshell? News about the camera have been hyped (leaked) for a couple of months now.

Although got to admit, they did not mention H265...

Sounds like an interesting new camera, and a welcome addition to the enthusiast grade mirrorless camera range but...

4K Recording at 24 fps, UHD Recording at 30 fps and 1080p Full HD Recording at up to 60 fps. 

Umm... what about 25p and 50p?

Apparently Samsung have adapted their regional policy from Victoria Nuland, the spokeswoman of the US State Department, and just like she, they're still going to "fuck the EU" with this new flagship model as well. 

Oh well, adapting a new lens mount system would be a bit of a chore, anyway, so whatever.

We will see graphic cards that can natively decode h.265, possibly at higher bit depths too. h.264 will probably never get hardware decoders that can decode the 10 bit version of it, so it is very taxing on the CPU. I wouldn't worry too much about being able to decode h.265, even if the current generation might be unable to have it hardware accelerated.

The advantage of BSI seems to be that you can create as many pixels as you wish without losing sensitivity, and when you downscale the image you'll get the same sensitivity as you would on a lower res sensor. i.e. at least on the stills side it's the best of both worlds. Being able to capture great 40 MP stills when there is plenty of light, and clean 12 MP stills at high ISO when there isn't.

Readout speed is a problem though, and rolling shutter. We'll have to see. But this is a very interesting camera, IMHO. You don't have to go for a small mFT sensor.

New kid on the block. h265 is very cool, but im sure 7DII will be far more impressive! ;-) hahaha ... So Pana, Sony and now Samsung will make Canon´s life hell.

Lol! No.  The camera market is really maturing.  There is no room for five or more players.  Panasonic gave their camera division an ultimatum to right their ship by 2016 or they were going to axe the entire department.  Things like the massive BMPCC sale this summer and now possibly this effort from Samsung are not going to help their cause.  A massive shake out is going to happen in the coming years.  But one thing that will endure is 4k.  The genie is out of the bottle.

Any info on how the sensor reads out?  How about stabilization?

Looks like an interesting camera, but having 2 systems already  (E Mount & MFT) unlikely that I will be making a switch to Samsung anytime soon.

It will be interesting to see how the quality is on H265, but it may be degraded by the type of sensor readout.

A video has been posted...

It's only youtube but the camera looks like it has potential.

I'm seeing incredible amounts of aliasing. Looks really bad.

Are you watching it on a 4K screen?  All sharp highly detailed 4k videos on youtube streamed to 1080p monitors look like they have aliasing.  I mean the camera could suffer from aliasing but I would need a better test than that to make that determination.

Lol! No.  The camera market is really maturing.  There is no room for five or more players.  Panasonic gave their camera division an ultimatum to right their ship by 2016 or they were going to axe the entire department.  Things like the massive BMPCC sale this summer and now possibly this effort from Samsung are not going to help their cause.  A massive shake out is going to happen in the coming years.  But one thing that will endure is 4k.  The genie is out of the bottle.

A video has been posted...

It's only youtube but the camera looks like it has potential.

Are you watching it on a 4K screen?  All sharp highly detailed 4k videos on youtube streamed to 1080p monitors look like they have aliasing.  I mean the camera could suffer from aliasing but I would need a better test than that to make that determination.

Just watched it again on my 15" retina mbp and the aliasing was no where near as bad as on my other monitor. Looks good!

Edit.     I was out of date with the Samsung lens list it is a fair bit more than I thought but still less than E mount.

There are a few different ones available to NX that are not available to E mount but in most (if not all) of those cases the lenses are available in A mount.     Sony seems to consider the LA-EA# adapters and A mount as part of the E mount system. (rightly or wrongly).

What quantity of lens has to do with it? And no, there is no point in counting A-mount lenses and its extra bulk, it's about native lenses.

I said better sorted, which means that they offer more focal length options. First, the E-mount has no f/2.8 constant zoom. Between the bright primes, the longer focal length for E-mount is 50mm f/1.8. There is a big intersection of lenses in very close focal length.

Quick comparison:

Samsung has the 16-50 f/2-2.8 and 50-150 f/2.8 zoom lenses and Sony's best offer is a f/4.

What about primes?

Samsung: 16mm f/2.4, 20mm f/2.8, 30mm f/2, 45mm f/1.8, 60mm f/2.8 macro, 85mm f/1.4

Sony: 16mm f/2.8, 20mm f/2.8, 30mm f/3.5 macro, 35mm f/1.8, 50mm f/1.8

This is what I said about better sorted, Sony has 4 lenses that fit between 16mm and 35mm, four lenses! And not a single one after 50mm.

What about quantity? Sony has tons of zoom lenses, tons, they even have a version II of one of them despite not have an f/2.8 constant zoom or new primes for these E-mount APS-C cameras.

So that's why I said that few people know but the NX mount has better sortes lens line up than the E-mount line up.

If it's not even a stop it's not a clear enough distinction. Also the smaller pixels on the Samsung sensor are still much bigger than the ones in the Sony's 1" sensor.

You are debating whether it will be better than the 24MP or not and that's not what I'm talking about. Anyway, this is showing to be an unproductive discussion so I'll stop here.