Single Focus Instructions for Anamorphic Projector Lenses

tonydtv

Hey, guys!

I've been trying for a while to work with an anamorphic adapter and stumbled upon the double-focus problem. I read all this topic and it seems like everyone has covered a lot of ground. I have a GH4 with Metabones (for FD lenses), a Kalart Victorscope 16mm x2 anamorphic lens (found it lost on ebay, never heard of this "brand") and will mostly be using it with a 50mm 1.4, 55mm 1.2 or 135mm 2.8.

From all I've gathered here, it seems like the best option is to get an achromatic diopter and a wide angle adapter. I don't understand enough about optics (and have a very limited budget), so I'd like to know what would be the best option to make it work. I found a "SIOCORE 52mm achromatic +10 diopter lens" on ebay, and it looks like it isn't one of those macro close-up filters (plus, it's within the price range I can afford).

As far as wide angle adapters go, I'm not sure which is the best option in terms of magnification: something closer to 0.4x or 0.8x, so there won't be any vignetting.

Sorry for anything stupid I might have written. Still trying to fully understand this single focus process.

• 2 months later...
EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

Guys, I find this solution damn attractive. I have a scenario for you. What diopter would you use if you had a GH2 and a A7S, a Helios 44, a rare Canon C-8 baby anamorphic lens (2x, similar size to the bolex 8/19) and a Sony 0,7x wide converter? I guess it should be one with a lower value, since only the helios + C-8 already focusses from 50 cm - infinity? Don't know what the extra wideness does to the whole story...

• 2 months later...
  • 5 months later...

I'm a little late in doing this, but for anyone still interested in the DIY single-focus anamorphic approach, here's an updated video.

Here are the ingredients:
Blackmagic Pocket -> Metabones Speedbooster -> Jupiter 9 85mm -> Isco Ultra Star -> Polaroid 250D Achromatic Diopter (77mm) -> focusing tube -> Cavision .6x Wide-Angle Adapter (82mm)

Main difference from my first setup is the use of an achromatic diopter (the Polaroid close-up filters aren't too bad, btw!) and I've snugged the focusing tube up a bit so it doesn't jitter as much.

Now I'm trying to figure out a variable neutral density filter solution.  The end of this thing has > 82mm threads, so that's a pretty huge ND filter... but at the same time I don't know that I like the idea of an electronic ND filter at the mount.  Might have to figure out something in the middle of the pipeline.

• 4 months later...
On 1/7/2016 at 7:06 AM, FrankLad said:

I'm a little late in doing this, but for anyone still interested in the DIY single-focus anamorphic approach, here's an updated video.

Here are the ingredients:
Blackmagic Pocket -> Metabones Speedbooster -> Jupiter 9 85mm -> Isco Ultra Star -> Polaroid 250D Achromatic Diopter (77mm) -> focusing tube -> Cavision .6x Wide-Angle Adapter (82mm)

Main difference from my first setup is the use of an achromatic diopter (the Polaroid close-up filters aren't too bad, btw!) and I've snugged the focusing tube up a bit so it doesn't jitter as much.

Now I'm trying to figure out a variable neutral density filter solution.  The end of this thing has > 82mm threads, so that's a pretty huge ND filter... but at the same time I don't know that I like the idea of an electronic ND filter at the mount.  Might have to figure out something in the middle of the pipeline.

Frank, that is so cool! Whats the size of the rear element of Cavision .6x Wide-Angle Adapter... Guess it is smaller than 77mm achromat.... doesn't the image vignette because of that? Did you modify the Cavision .6x Wide-Angle Adapter by any chance?

IMO, more glasses would make image poorer.  Try to reduce glass as less as possible.  Adding +x diopter on rear and -x diopter on front is enough for most use.  It also has wide angle adapter functions.  It make focusing ability on anamorphic lens weaker, or let anamorphic lens focus travel distance shorter to be single focus possible.

Simply to say, +x lens helps to focus closer, where anamorphic lens rear and front element closer has the same function, and also reduce vignette, but less compress rate.   So only shorten the rear and front elements distance would make anamorphic lens wider.  But that likes adding +x lens.  So need to add a -x lens in front to compensate it and make focus correctly.  You got a wider angle anamorphic lens.

How does one calucate the strength of the diopter required for a particular Wide angle adapter say 0.5, 0.6, 0.7, etc

Need to setup a foccussing unit, was wondering which achromats and wide angle adapters to buy.

Have an access to a machine shop so making a telescopic push and pull system, should not be a problem, once I have the required lenses!

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...
On 6/14/2016 at 10:29 AM, Manjeet Singh said:

Trying to buy a matching diopter for the wid angle adapter...What would be a good match for this 0.7X Century Optics Wide angle converter lens?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Century-Precision-Optics-VS-07CV-XL-0-7x-Wide-Angle-Converter-Lens-f-Canon-XL1-/252321543088?hash=item3abf8933b0:g:GwkAAOSwP~tW6FBW

Can someone please suggest !

I tested Century 0.7X converter lens, it's designed for Panasonic DVX100A/B camera which only has 1/3" Optical Sensor Size. When using it on camera with full frame sensor, even with 100mm prime lens, the aberrations over edge is crazy, but maybe someone would love it. if you want to build a sharp one, pick something else for your test. Navitar is a decent one: https://navitar.com/products/projection/screenstar-conversion-lenses/standard-screenstar-lenses/

• 1 year later...

I know that this post is more than 3 years old. But I want to thank you for the information provided here. I manage to build my first diy single focus Anamorphic adapter.

I use Schneider ES cinelux 2x Anamorphic lems, 100d achromat (i don't know the strength of the diopter), and 0.45x wide adapter. It has a very soft focus at wide open (jupiter 9 85mm f2.0). Even when I stop down the edges is still very soft.

What should I do to correct it? Can anyone help me?

The result is the photo I took straight from the monitor.

A81D3F10-DD25-4F9C-9171-CAAA3E8E679C.jpeg

E360B806-D09E-457B-96EE-AF36C576A0BB.jpeg

• 1 year later...