Rehoused front anamorphic adapter

DaveC

A friend asked to me to shoot a short he wrote later this year. Because of the film's topic, an anamorphic look (distortion and flares) would help the story. Since it's a no budget short (<EUR5k), rental of Hawks is not an option, and I'm not such a fan of Lomo lenses. I'm sure that there are great Lomo lenses, but most of them just don't look very pleasing to my eye. So right now, my best option is probably to use light streak filters.

When reading up on low budget anamorphic solutions, I stumbled upon these:

http://www.eoshd.com/content/3492/re...ama-anamorphic

http://www.flickr.com/photos/34211301@N00/5959563228/

I have a nice set of Nikon AI-s lenses, so the idea was to add an Iscorama lens, since they allow to leave the focus on the base lens to infinity. There are just two problems left... they are often in a bad shape and they can't focus closer than 2m / 5ft (the Iscorama 42 can, but it gets very soft).

So.. does anybody know if there are solutions on the market (under $5k)? Or what happened to RedStan's lenses? Having some kind of Iscorama lens which could be easily swapped between lenses, is reasonably sharp and allows to focus up to 1m would be an amazing option for low budget films.

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
[quote author=DaveC link=topic=778.msg5639#msg5639 date=1337943773]Having some kind of Iscorama lens which could be easily swapped between lenses, is reasonably sharp and allows to focus up to 1m would be an amazing option for low budget films.
[/quote]

I don't know about Redstan's modded Iscorama's (since there are so few, you can expect to pay a hefty price), but have you considered a Panasonic LA7200 with a diopter? You can focus down to around 1m, and you only focus the taking lens through the anamorphic element. You can use much wider angle lenses than on any other anamorphic adapter that I know of. It's only 1.33x crop (as opposed to Iscorama's 1.5), but it's very functional as long as you can rig a diopter to sit in front of it. They run between about $900 and $1350 on eBay. If you're curious, I shot some test footage with this adapter and a 25mm Voigtlander Nokton that you can view here: https://vimeo.com/42505123

Great test of those anamorphic lenses... the Isco looked surprisingly bad, but I guess there was a glitch in the setup. The LA7200 looked good, but again, you need a diopter to focus closer than 2 or 3 meters...

My hope was to find a rehoused Isco 54 where you could leave the focus of the taking lens at infinity and still could focus without diopter as close as 1m to 1,5m.